WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Ideas for SF/41 Improvements, Films etc. (Read 21834 times)
Feb 17th, 2015 at 3:53pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Post your ideas on how to improve the Marathon. Your suggested film titles and what have you.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 7:41pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

October

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 8:01pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I don't know about October as there are many local Halloween events including horror marathons by the Coolidge and the Somerville as well as Rock and Shock horror weekend in Worcester.  Many folks that attend our thon also attend one or more of these other events.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 8:07pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Okay.
September.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 8:54pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Patriot's Day. Saturday - Sunday.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 9:15pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 17th, 2015 at 8:54pm:
Patriot's Day. Saturday - Sunday.

Might not be a bad date.
Good weather, a local holiday weekend plus it's a nothing time for Hollywood films.
Heck we may even get lucky sometime and get one of the studio's to give us a sneak preview of a film opening in May.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 11:51pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

April used to be a dead zone, but not so much any more.  Plus, it's already a crowded day on the schedule.

Weather is going to be foremost on our minds, but I don't think it's something that needs too much worrying about.  This winter has been a crazy outlier, and the chances of storms hitting a relatively small target like the thon versus a larger one like the festival are not big enough to upend things for.

The marathon is pretty much fine.  I think we had one of the strongest line-ups in recent memory, which would have been even better if the festival selection had been Boy 7 as was planned.

The festival, on the other hand, still needs a lot of work, and I'm losing patience and any sort of confidence here.  I mean, how am I supposed to when Garen flat-out responds to me saying that the people who pay money to attend deserve good movies with comments that there should be some crap, and that them booking Blessid means it plays some European festivals is just as important. 

He said this to the four or five us who were there on Tuesday, despite the weather, in practically the same breath as telling us we wouldn't be able to watch that night's movie because somebody left it at home, the night after the two of us who were there watched a Dutch movie without subtitles.  That the fact that those in the audience paid good money doesn't mean we deserved to see good movies, while at the same time castigating me for not respecting his investment.

I mean...  What are we supposed to do with that as attendees?  What are we supposed to do with him introducing movies opening night talking about how they weren't exactly great?  Am I being unreasonable for comparing the festival to BUFF, Fantasia, Fantastic Fest, and all the other great genre festivals out there and wanting to feel like ours even aspires to that, rather than just being a means to other ends?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:22am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Remember it is Patriots Day WEEKEND not the day itself so it wont be fighting that other marathon nor the annual Sox game. And  this winter isnt a fluke. If you look at the weather stats all the local channels keep posting many of the greatest storms and monthly snofall records have come in the past decade or so. We seem to be in a long range bad winter era.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:56am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 17th, 2015 at 11:51pm:
April used to be a dead zone, but not so much any more.  Plus, it's already a crowded day on the schedule.

Weather is going to be foremost on our minds, but I don't think it's something that needs too much worrying about.  This winter has been a crazy outlier, and the chances of storms hitting a relatively small target like the thon versus a larger one like the festival are not big enough to upend things for.

The marathon is pretty much fine.  I think we had one of the strongest line-ups in recent memory, which would have been even better if the festival selection had been Boy 7 as was planned.

The festival, on the other hand, still needs a lot of work, and I'm losing patience and any sort of confidence here.  I mean, how am I supposed to when Garen flat-out responds to me saying that the people who pay money to attend deserve good movies with comments that there should be some crap, and that them booking Blessid means it plays some European festivals is just as important. 

He said this to the four or five us who were there on Tuesday, despite the weather, in practically the same breath as telling us we wouldn't be able to watch that night's movie because somebody left it at home, the night after the two of us who were there watched a Dutch movie without subtitles.  That the fact that those in the audience paid good money doesn't mean we deserved to see good movies, while at the same time castigating me for not respecting his investment.

I mean...  What are we supposed to do with that as attendees?  What are we supposed to do with him introducing movies opening night talking about how they weren't exactly great?  Am I being unreasonable for comparing the festival to BUFF, Fantasia, Fantastic Fest, and all the other great genre festivals out there and wanting to feel like ours even aspires to that, rather than just being a means to other ends?

How did the Dr Who double feature do? Maybe the fest should add more rare screenings rather than try to do almost all new films.
I also suggested doing a night of Silent Sci-Fi to Garen who thought was a good idea.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:26am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:56am:

How did the Dr Who double feature do? Maybe the fest should add more rare screenings rather than try to do almost all new films.
I also suggested doing a night of Silent Sci-Fi to Garen who thought was a good idea.

It was rather poorly attended.  Maybe 20..... maybe.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:05pm

Drew   Offline
YaBB Newbies
@drawnonglass
Somerville, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:26am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:56am:

[clipped - I agree with everything said ]

It was rather poorly attended.  Maybe 20..... maybe.

I was at the second Doctor Who movie (more on that below) and saw maybe 10 people. 11 if you count the guy loudly snoring through the whole movie in the corner.

The biggest issue with the festival from my experience was lack of coordination on timing. It's good that Garen got someone else to curate the shorts, but the schedule throughout assumed that people would attend shorts OR movies and not want some of each. This was an issue for nearly every night and would have been fixed with 5 minutes of Garen and the shorts curator comparing notes and runtimes.

Example - the second Dr Who movie started at 9, a full ten to fifteen minutes before the shorts that started at 730 were over.

It would be easy to move it ahead a little to allow people to walk down the hall, but somehow no one looked at the schedule and saw the issue. Because of this, a friend of mine bought standalone tickets (spending something upwards of $30 for one night) and missed the beginning of the movie.

Nearly everyone missed the beginning of the very first movie, The Well because... Hell if I know, it just started 20 minutes early and no explanation from anyone. At the time, I went, found Garen, pointed out the time and that the film had started early. Never got any response at all.

Overall, I feel I got my money's worth for the additional cost of the fest ticket. But I won't be back and I won't ever recommend anyone I know attend a stand-alone screening until the showings are better managed.

I generally went to shorts rather than features, and what I saw was markedly better than previous years in terms of overall quality. There isn't a single short film I saw that I wouldn't want to see again.

The films.. Garen does seem to have a weakness for military SF and it's getting old.. Alien Outpost was pretty awful. Robot Overlords and I Was A Teenage Superhero Sidekick were both good fun, and Fade To White and Uncanny were the highlights for me

I feel I do need to call out Garen in a positive way for the showing of The Noah and the gathering afterward -- everyone at the movie was invited to Orleans and got some excellent free food and a chance to blow off a little steam and socialize with each other and the director. That doesn't quite top getting to see WD Richter in person, but it's right up there/

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 11:00pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

It would be nice to go to the fest, but it's a long drive, so we never do. 

Suggestion for a future thon: between the first few movies, show the opening credits of some sci fi tv shows.  Star Trek, Lost in Space, UFO, Space 1999, Buck Rogers, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, etc.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 1:21am

bar2b2   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

A couple of points.  While a Saturday-Sunday 'thon works for the event, it means that the theatre must give up a Saturday night rather than a Sunday night.  That's far less attractive from the theatre's perspective.

Also note that in 2017, 2022 and 2025 Patriots Day weekend is also Easter weekend.  Not an issue for everyone, but it could be a problem for enough folks to impact attendance.  Also 2020 and 2023 have Easter weekend at what would be the opening weekend of the Festival.  Easter and Mothers Day are dates I'd try to stay away from.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:46pm

Metaluna   Offline

We need to move the marathon to warmer weather. And someone needs to finish writing Bruce's "If the Marathon Stops We All Freeze and Die" song, complete with hand gestures. We will sing it every year before Duck Dodgers so future generations will remember why we don't hold it on President's Day anymore.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:19pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:46pm:
We need to move the marathon to warmer weather. And someone needs to finish writing Bruce's "If the Marathon Stops We All Freeze and Die" song, complete with hand gestures. We will sing it every year before Duck Dodgers so future generations will remember why we don't hold it on President's Day anymore.

And, if he have to move the date one week up to avoid a conflict with a religious holiday, so be it. What's more difficult, freaking out about the weather and whether there might be a postponment or having a WHOLE YEAR to get the date out in public?!

Heck, we got the word out that the Marathon was starting at 4pm rather than Noon in less than 24 HOURS, let alone 52 weeks!

P.S. And, I talked to Ian and he seems amenable to Saturday-Sunday (which we have done before), so that's not a huge issue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2