WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: if you could burn all copies of "Niagravation" would you?

« Created by: kirok on: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:26pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
MARATHON FROM HELL - ANTI-Suggested movies! (Read 36509 times)
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 9:13pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Caleb451 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2014 at 8:50pm:
Tarkovsky's SOLARIS would be pretty painful at 2AM, but I think, if programed correctly, the Soderbergh remake may work nicely with our crowd.

Then, let's show the GREAT version - Tarkovsky's - at 6pm! Dinner break for the philistines!!

We could even offer drink coupons or something to lure the cinema illiterates out the door!!

EVIL L.A.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 9:57pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

You're losing your touch.
A TRULY Evil L.A. would have suggested the American remake.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 10:11pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Dec 2nd, 2014 at 9:57pm:
You're losing your touch.
A TRULY Evil L.A. would have suggested the American remake.

Nope, that's the easy way out! If you show the remake, the philistines will have:

A. Clooney
B. English dialogue
C. A lot shorter movie (I've always called the remake the Cliff's Notes version)

Make 'em sweat it out with no name Foreigners, Russian, Subtitles AND all those gloriously slow and tedious extra minutes!

SIXTY-EIGHT more long long minutes! Over an extra HOUR of slow grim mind-numbing TORTURE!

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 11:50am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Having experienced both the European Solaris (12 years ago) and the Clooney (2 years ago) at the Cleveland Marathon I feel obligated to reject the above characterizations of these two epics.
One of the joys of the Cleveland Marathon is that the auditorium has an honest to goodness stage where a dozen early arivees can actually set up mattresses.
I have never slept as soundly or recouped more energy than during the showings of Solaris. Not only were the waving reeds on the screen extremely soothing (European version) on the rare occasions that my eyes opened, -stimulating a quick return to restful sleep - but the overall effect of both films was that the rest of the audience was also asleep, stifling the comments & noise that is unfortunately common at Cleveland.
Some films fit specific venues, particularly at 3:00AM.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 2:45pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 11:50am:
Having experienced both the European Solaris (12 years ago) and the Clooney (2 years ago) at the Cleveland Marathon I feel obligated to reject the above characterizations of these two epics.
One of the joys of the Cleveland Marathon is that the auditorium has an honest to goodness stage where a dozen early arivees can actually set up mattresses.
I have never slept as soundly or recouped more energy than during the showings of Solaris. Not only were the waving reeds on the screen extremely soothing (European version) on the rare occasions that my eyes opened, -stimulating a quick return to restful sleep - but the overall effect of both films was that the rest of the audience was also asleep, stifling the comments & noise that is unfortunately common at Cleveland.
Some films fit specific venues, particularly at 3:00AM.

Being serious for a moment, yes, I see the cathartic point of having a 'sleep period' for the wimps who can't stay awake for 24 measly hours. But, something like the Russian SOLARIS is 3 hours long. That's an awful lot of time to 'waste' if you are going to alienate 90% of Marathoners. You only have 11-14 slots available, and something like SOLARIS is the equivalent of 1 1/2 by itself.

Now, as to the
MARATHON FROM HELL!
:

3am? Are you NUTS!?? Try 6 PM! Prime time! Everbody is awake! And, if really wanna torture 'em, put SOLARIS on at 5pm, Followed by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY at 8pm Followed by DEMONLOVER at 11pm!

That triple bill will
KILL
all the philistines!!
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:56pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:35pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 2:45pm:
Being serious for a moment, yes, I see the cathartic point of having a 'sleep period' for the wimps who can't stay awake for 24 measly hours. But, something like the Russian SOLARIS is 3 hours long. That's an awful lot of time to 'waste' if you are going to alienate 90% of Marathoners. You only have 11-14 slots available, and something like SOLARIS is the equivalent of 1 1/2 by itself.

3am? Are you NUTS!?? Try 6 PM! Prime time! Everbody is awake! And, if really wanna torture 'em, put SOLARIS on at 5pm

Serious??? Wimps???
I'm not talking a wussy 24 hour Marathon.  I've kept awake for the entire show - once in Boston & once in Columbus. But Cleveland averages 29-30 hours so a three hour break is about right if you plan on getting home & not driving off the road.
I do admit that your 6:00PM is a scenario from hell if torture is the object -  in Columbus or Boston, but in Cleveland it would be a mitzvah  after sixteen hours of films. Depends on the venue.

Hell scenario? Put on Meet The Feebles or Re-Animator right after people have taken a dinner break. (You may note that I am not a slasher fan.) Upchuck city.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 10:56pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:35pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 2:45pm:

3am? Are you NUTS!?? Try 6 PM! Prime time! Everbody is awake! And, if really wanna torture 'em, put SOLARIS on at 5pm

Serious??? Wimps???
I'm not talking a wussy 24 hour Marathon.  I've kept awake for the entire show - once in Boston & once in Columbus. But Cleveland averages 29-30 hours so a three hour break is about right if you plan on getting home & not driving off the road.
I do admit that your 6:00PM is a scenario from hell if torture is the object -  in Columbus or Boston, but in Cleveland it would be a mitzvah  after sixteen hours of films. Depends on the venue.

Hell scenario? Put on Meet The Feebles or Re-Animator right after people have taken a dinner break. (You may note that I am not a slasher fan.) Upchuck city.

Let's up the ante and run Solaris for the marathon crowd all of whom will be seated in a nice Clockwork Orange forced viewing chair.

Meet The Feebles, oh gawd, that is a disgusting film, lets add the marathons own They Came From Within with it. Blood is one thing but those two go far beyond just blood.
Hey we could create a new marathon souvenir like seen on this page.
http://www.freddyinspace.com/2011/07/i-think-im-gonna-be-sick-horror-movie.html

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 10:32am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

They Came From Within is over the top?  You must have been one of those folks who rushed out of Cinema 1 at SF3.  They Came From Within does not belong on any Marathon From Hell list.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 7:03pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Was not familiar with They Came From Within. (and after seeing reviews would not want to be within a block of being "familiar".)
It's Cronenberg.  Why do people who claim to like SF love  violent and gut wrenching slaughter?

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 7:32pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Because it's Cronenberg, that's why. Don't like your science occasionally infused with gut wrenching slaughter and violence, that is your bidness.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 10:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Dec 4th, 2014 at 10:32am:
They Came From Within is over the top?  You must have been one of those folks who rushed out of Cinema 1 at SF3.  They Came From Within does not belong on any Marathon From Hell list.

Nope, I was there till the end.
But it's still an unsettling film with those things going down people's throats and other places.
I'm figuring it's anti marathon worthy from the fact it pretty much emptied Cinema 1
But maybe we're made of stronger stuff these days.

Anti marathon films should either be hated, walked out on or slept through by the majority of a crowd.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 10:52pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Frank,
You pegged me right in the bunghole. While science fiction movies are rarely about science and on occasion I can enjoy films with large components of "gut wrenching slaughter and violence," it's not what I would generally pick. Hence Cronenberg, & the specific film in question I can miss.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

1993. Coolidge Corner. SF/18. Those dreaded wee hours. The Marathon audience "eagerly awaits" the rare 35mm showing of a mid-80's lost epic, STAR CRYSTAL! What unfolds over the next 91 minutes has lived on in excruciating memory for those who survived (and stayed awake). 

It is the year 2032 and on Mars someTHING is found in a rock. So, of course, the astronauts take it on board and.......you get a mutant cross between E.T. and ALIEN. As with many of these extreme low budget efforts (it was a pick-up for bottom feeder studio New World) you have to wade through amateurish acting for most of the movie to get to the monster parts. When they finally appear, the few in the audience who were still awake...uh...stuggled to stay awake. It ends with an E.T. like speech, "I will always remember you" and then THE WORST PART: One of those groaning shrill end credits songs that seems designed to destroy what few brain cells the survivors have left. Here is the trailer, but the WHOLE movie is on youtube for those who DARE!

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 11:04pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Pretty sure I slept through Star Crystal.
Really cheesy trailer, check out 55 seconds in when the group runs around some vintage mall escalators.

Worst part is Corman made some halfway decent low budget sci-fi films that never seem to show up.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:26am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Dec 4th, 2014 at 10:48pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 4th, 2014 at 10:32am:

Nope, I was there till the end.
But it's still an unsettling film with those things going down people's throats and other places.
I'm figuring it's anti marathon worthy from the fact it pretty much emptied Cinema 1
But maybe we're made of stronger stuff these days.

Anti marathon films should either be hated, walked out on or slept through by the majority of a crowd.

No, we were made of stronger stuff back then as well (refer to Bill Landis' Sleazoid Express), just not the wimps in Cinema 1.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3