WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
SF/40 Films Announced discussion thread (Read 66707 times)
Reply #60 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 3:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Other possibility would be a rough cut on The Welles docu.
I'm still betting on Dune though.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 1:46am

Joe Neff   Offline

All right, so I've been holding back on throwing in my two cents until the lineup was complete...or mostly complete as it possibly stands.  There was no way that I would miss SF40, so in many ways the lineup is secondary to me.  But hey, I'll still offer some notes.

-2001 in 70mm is an awesome experience.  I've seen it in that format three times in Columbus, so getting to bask in its glory in a top notch house like the Somerville should be a treat.

-I really dug SNOWPIERCER in its limited release, so it's nice to see it rear its head again.

-In general, I like almost all the films in the lineup.  But it has a major flaw as currently constructed.  For a big honkin' anniversary Marathon, it essentially represents the pre-1960 era and the post-2000 era, with basically no true representation of the '60s-'90s (outside of 2001.)  MOONRAKER is marginal sci-fi at best and a terrible film in an era of genuinely interesting science fiction.  BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA is a romp, but it's a fantasy film through and through.  And IRON GIANT is, for all intents and purposes, an '50s flick presented as an '00s animated film (which isn't a knock on the quality of the film itself.)

If I was a newbie, I'd be tempted to say "wow, so this crowd loves pre-Kennedy sci-fi and the new stuff...but not much else."  Granted, that wouldn't necessarily be a fair assessment.  But compared with the somewhat more diversified SF30, or the very strong SF35, the current lineup just feels a bit safe.

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 1:52am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'm guessing it's the Welles thing as well; Garen's going to be showing clips from it at Emerson on Thursday, so I'm guessing it must be at least close to done.

I kind of suspect it might wind up the closing film, so he can segue into it with the inevitable Brigadoon reference and blahblahblah about it being for us.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:38pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'd be up for that (since there is a slight chance I might be in it.)
As long as there is a chance to play "We'll Meet Again" at the end of the marathon I'll be happy.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:18pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 1:52am:
I'm guessing it's the Welles thing as well; Garen's going to be showing clips from it at Emerson on Thursday, so I'm guessing it must be at least close to done.

I kind of suspect it might wind up the closing film, so he can segue into it with the inevitable Brigadoon reference and blahblahblah about it being for us.

Except, why would he write "Still waiting to hear about" if it's his own movie?

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:40pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I am fairly confident that it is neither the Welles doc or the Dune doc.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 3:29pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:18pm:
Except, why would he write "Still waiting to hear about" if it's his own movie?

Didn't realize he had.  Garen's frustrating tendency to use Facebook as the festival's main means of communication means some things get missed.  Although I still suppose it could be a tight thing to see if full post-production was done in time.

That could also be a factor in 5-25-77; it's supposed to finally be finished/released this year, the marathon crowd would likely eat it up with a spoon, and it might be fun to ask Trumbull about that as well.  It looked almost done when I saw it a couple years ago, but I imagine that getting this booked is a right pain.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 3:15pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

this is it? these 11 films and shorts and the gort winner? can't we replace big trouble little china with captain america the winter soldier or the avengers or the book of eli?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 5:51pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:40pm:

Hmmm, a strong hunch or inside info?

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:32pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 5:51pm:

Similar to revealing the identity of Number 1, that would be telling. Smiley

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:57am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:32pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 5:51pm:

Similar to revealing the identity of Number 1, that would be telling. Smiley

I've always preferred Number 2.

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 7:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Just announced: The screening of the classic silent film CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI will have live music! Details to follow!

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 9:38am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Also let slip is that 2001 will play around 6PM Saturday

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5