WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
SF/40 Films Announced discussion thread (Read 66709 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 12:23pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

At least 5 seems reasonable, Lepus Lad.
Only 7 so far. There were 13 last year, but without 2001 or anything of great length.
Columbus only managed 11 in 2014, but they had 2001 and the lengthy Metropolis.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 12:36pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Jan 6th, 2015 at 12:23pm:
At least 5 seems reasonable, Lepus Lad.
Only 7 so far. There were 13 last year, but without 2001 or anything of great length.
Columbus only managed 11 in 2014, but they had 2001 and the lengthy Metropolis.

And, Bruce always packs his schedules with shorts and trailers. Ohio always averages 1 to 2 films fewer than Boston.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 1:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Hard to judge because of Doug Trumball's guest appearance, hopefully he'd be staying to do at least a quick Q&A with us.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 3:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 6th, 2015 at 1:26pm:
Hard to judge because of Doug Trumball's guest appearance, hopefully he'd be staying to do at least a quick Q&A with us.

This is one time that I hope the guest isn't rushed off-stage just to keep to the schedule. I'd much rather sacrifice a "Premiere" like TRAIL OF THE GHASTLY FOLKLORIC MOTIVATIONAL LOVE GROWTH than take away the opportunity to hear from a giant of the industry like Trumbull.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:45am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Just added, Ragnarok (2014)

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 2:00pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:45am:

Looks ok. But, sci-fi?

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 3:02pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Eh, looks like an old monster as opposed to a magic one.  You wouldn't raise your eyebrows if was shot in 1958 Hollywood and the creature was made of foam rubber. Smiley

IIRC, it was reasonably well-liked both in its original Norwegian releases and in places that play independent/foreign genre films (which is to say, not Boston) for being a decent modern equivalent of a 1980s Amblin' production.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 3:47pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 3:02pm:
Eh, looks like an old monster as opposed to a magic one.  You wouldn't raise your eyebrows if was shot in 1958 Hollywood and the creature was made of foam rubber. Smiley

And, YOU woudn't like it if it was a 1958 production that didn't have "modern production values" no matter how well done it was for the period.

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 5:14pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Aw, c'mon, you know that's not true.  I just don't give things bonus points for nostalgia or treat age, low budgets, or bad acting as a virtue.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 5:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 5:14pm:
Aw, c'mon, you know that's not true.  I just don't give things bonus points for nostalgia or treat age, low budgets, or bad acting as a virtue.

But, you DO forgive new movies with "modern production values" more slack for their newness, budget and bad acting. Exhibit A - your 3-star rated Marathon atrocity FOLKLORE.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

I judge each and every movie on their merits regardless of when they were made. I might say I'll have fun with a bad movie, but, I will call it a bad movie as opposed to overpraising one with "modern production values" just because it's new and played on the fest circuit.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 6:33pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 2:00pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:45am:

Looks ok. But, sci-fi?

True, looks more like a fantasy.
Reviews mentioned tributes to Raiders, Jurassic Park & Alien so might be good.

Still hoping for Creature From The Black Lagoon (3D or flat.)

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 7:26pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 5:46pm:
But, you DO forgive new movies with "modern production values" more slack for their newness, budget and bad acting. Exhibit A - your 3-star rated Marathon atrocity FOLKLORE.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Uh, no.  I had a good time with that the first time through.  But good job on not letting someone having a different opinion go ever.  Roll Eyes

But, honestly, of course I forgive something with good production values more.  If there's not an obvious shortcoming on screen right in front of me, it's easier for the good stuff to come through.  It's not a deliberate weighing, but you make it sound like I shouldn't appreciate a movie looking and sounding good!

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 5:46pm:
I might say I'll have fun with a bad movie, but, I will call it a bad movie as opposed to overpraising one with "modern production values" just because it's new and played on the fest circuit.

Eh, I'd rather be guilty of being enthusiastic about someone trying something new & handling the technical aspects well, and also picking up the audience's excitement.  With science fiction especially, it feels a hell of a lot better than assuming that the golden age is in the past.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Another FESTIVAL selection has been announced: ROBOT OVERLORDS.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2145829/combined

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 12:32pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

And here's the ROBOT trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcevyVngeMc

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 1:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Jan 10th, 2015 at 12:32pm:
And here's the ROBOT trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcevyVngeMc

Be aware that this is for the FESTIVAL and not the Marathon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5