WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
SF/40 Films Announced discussion thread (Read 66492 times)
Nov 15th, 2014 at 12:08pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First Announced film!

SNOWPIERCER!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/combined

Joon-Ho Bong's THE HOST was a Marathon hit, now, his SF follow-up hits the 'thon screen for the big 4-0 Marathon.

Discuss............

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 3:08pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

A pretty darn great movie that I look forward to seeing on the big screen for a third time, and it's a shame it got such a limited release out of what appears to be sheer spite on the distributor's part.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2014 at 12:06am

kirok   Offline
God Member

chris evans. yeah. kicked butt in captain america.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 5:45pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

moonraker has been announced on Facebook. i enjoyed it when it was released.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 6:52pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I'll probably enjoy Snowpiercer. It has certainly received good reviews.
However I could not overcome the blatant ridiculousness of the idea that a hurtling train is somehow a refuge from worldwide environmental catastrophe sufficiently to see it heretofore. I am sure that there are rationales inside the movie, but it just exceeded my willing suspension of disbelief. I watch superhero and lesser genre with enjoyment so I can't justify the above reaction. But It's there.
On the other hand I do look forward to Moonraker, that I remember from my teenagerhood as a pretty good tongue in cheek Bond spoof.
Hope I'll make it back to Boston this year.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 7:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Second film announced.

From 1979, Roger Moore is James Bond in
MOONRAKER

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 10:11pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

THIS one surprised quite a bit. I hadn't heard it even mentioned in connection to the Marathon in years and years. I guess it makes a nice tribute to the recently deceased Richard Kiel.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 8:59am

kirok   Offline
God Member

maybe we can show the twilight zone episode
"to serve man"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 3:03pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 10:11pm:
THIS one surprised quite a bit. I hadn't heard it even mentioned in connection to the Marathon in years and years. I guess it makes a nice tribute to the recently deceased Richard Kiel.

Surprised me too.
But Bond was overdue showing up at the marathon since most of his plots are fringe sci-fi/mad scientist.

Remembering this film I think it may just about have aged to a slightly campy adventure and may go over better now then when released.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 10:32pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Maybe I should change the flightsuit from the one I usually wear to the marathon to one from Moonraker. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 5:33pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

This Island Earth just announced as the third entry. 35mm archival print is the word.  It was the first movie played at SF1 in CINEMA 1.  Cinema 2 had the far superior The Day The Earth Stood Still to kick off the festivities.  No love for Cinema 2 I guess.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:32pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm ok with THIS ISLAND EARTH playing again in unexpurged form with MST3K. It hasn't played intact since SF/8 - 32 Years ago.

But, I agree with Frank - DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is a far better movie and also deserves a slot at the 40th annual marathon!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 5:33pm:
This Island Earth just announced as the third entry. 35mm archival print is the word.  It was the first movie played at SF1 in CINEMA 1.  Cinema 2 had the far superior The Day The Earth Stood Still to kick off the festivities.  No love for Cinema 2 I guess.

Still plenty of time to add Day The Earth Stood Still to the lineup. It's just that Cinema 1 started first.
Since Frank made the official notice, I'll just add the extras.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 10:43pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The point that Cinema 1 started first is extremely weak sauce.  If you were in Cinema 2 The Day The Earth Stood Still started the marathon and they did not give a fig about Cinema 1.  Although smaller, it seems that Cinema 2 was always the equivalent of the 99%. Anyway, The Day The Earth Stood Still is the most repeated feature, a place it richly deserves.  At that it has been 15 years since it played.  We have to go back to SF25. Certainly, that is worth a repeat viewing.  But for the love of all that is holy, if we do screen it, pray that we do not get the abomination starring Keanu by mistake.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 11:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 10:43pm:
...Anyway, The Day The Earth Stood Still is the most repeated feature, a place it richly deserves.  At that it has been 15 years since it played.  We have to go back to SF25. Certainly, that is worth a repeat viewing.  But for the love of all that is holy, if we do screen it, pray that we do not get the abomination starring Keanu by mistake.

Now, THAT would be tragic!

At least the NOT OF THIS EARTH mistake had its benefits........

Shocked  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5