WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Official Discussion thread - SF/39 Feb.2014 (Read 83049 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:40am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

WESTWORLD confirmed.

WORLD THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL as well (although it is currently listed as "festival")

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 2:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

George Pal's THE POWER from 1968 confirmed.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 2:57pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The Power at long last.  Not since SF2.  I feared that we would never get to see this again on the big screen.  Late 60's sci-fi thriller.  Produced by George Pal and directed by frequent Pal collaborator Byron Haskin (War of the Worlds, Conquest of Space).  He also directed about a half dozen Outer Limits episodes.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:30pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i just saw west world at the sommerville at the horror marathon. why are loyal patrons being punished?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:36pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

vote only if you have not seen the movie.
Who has the power in "The Power"?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:30pm:
i just saw west world at the sommerville at the horror marathon. why are loyal patrons being punished?

"loyal patrons" aren't being punished, just you.

EVIL L.A.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 5:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Four new titles and what a bunch of intriguing titles at that.

Silent Running great effects, cool robots and prime example of 60's era attitude in film.

Westworld more robots and not a bad action film either. Only thing is Delos seems really underpriced these days.

The Power don't think I've seen this since SF2, a little slow but interesting conspiracy thriller.

World The Flesh & The Devil this was considered an "important" film when released and a lot of those have not aged well (remember On The Beach from the same year?)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 8:35pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

What a great job! Every year there is usually a long sought after classic title in the mix. This year "Silent Running", "Westworld", and "The World, the Flesh and the Devil" all fall into that category. I'd add "Flash Gordon" as a personal favorite and am up for the three I haven't seen. "Dr Who and the Daleks" may be the only hit-or-miss given how many in the crowd are serious Whovians versus those who would snark.

A clear "dinner break" film? Not yet! Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:19pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I was feeling a bit underwhelmed until this last batch of films was announced. I'm now officially psyched.

My easy pick for a dinner film is Electric Dreams. Not a fan.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
A clear "dinner break" film? Not yet! Cheesy

Remember, no matter WHAT film is playing between 5pm and 10pm, a certain segment of the audience is gonna let their stomachs do the talking and eat. I was really pretty disappointed a few years ago when the LONG LONG sought after print of MST3K THE MOVIE showed and droves of folks bolted to go eat Big Macs.  Cry

I hope the food gave them an upset stomach!

Cool

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:16pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:40pm:
kirok wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:30pm:

"loyal patrons" aren't being punished, just you.

Eh, him and me.  Say I'm whining, but I find the sequence of:

(1) Festival takes my money
(2) I spend money when Movie X plays in the Boston area
(3) Festival announces Movie X as part of the schedule

... kind of uncool.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:14pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sadly, because of the increasing rarity of 35mm prints, you see a lot of 'bicycling' of prints from Revival House to Revival House. Trust me, it's often the ONLY way to know for certain if a certain title even is available at all.

Look on the bright side - 100s of folks who couldn't attend in October will get a chance now - and, people who really dig the movie will get a chance to see it with 500 of their closest friends! And, what was the attendence in October - 50 people? 60?

As Eric Idle would say..............

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:48pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I get this, but I still think a one-year delay on the stuff that plays between when tickets go on sale and the marathon seems reasonable.  Take notes, get in contact early, but there's no harm in playing nice with the other local film events.  If there's so little available that the marathon has to use stuff that has played locally since tickets went on sale to fill out the schedule, it might be time to pack it up.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 12:31am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:48pm:
I get this, but I still think a one-year delay on the stuff that plays between when tickets go on sale and the marathon seems reasonable.  Take notes, get in contact early, but there's no harm in playing nice with the other local film events.  If there's so little available that the marathon has to use stuff that has played locally since tickets went on sale to fill out the schedule, it might be time to pack it up.

Sounds good on paper, but, trust me, that 35mm print might very be put in the vaults by next Marathon (if not have become unplayable physically). Already, most studios are already pushing theaters to "just play the DVD"...........

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:55am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

One of the year's more intelligent SF films, EUROPA REPORT, has been added to this year's Marathon lineup.

My original review: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1376430077

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8