WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Which will be the big hit of the summer?

« Last Modified by: kirok on: May 29th, 2013 at 8:24pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
best summer sci-fi of 2013. (Read 44592 times)
May 28th, 2013 at 4:14pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it is now a horse race between 3 titles. let me know if you wish to add a title.

P.S. Spelling correction for thread - admin
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2013 at 4:01pm by L.A. Connection »  

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 29th, 2013 at 5:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
it is now a horse race between 3 titles. let me know if you wish to add a title.

Pacific Rim seems an obvious one to add.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2013 at 2:18pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i left out "after earth". turns out that's gonna be a wise choice.  my sympathies to the people out there who had to watch it.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 10:15pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Looking at last year, this year and even next year the most highly anticipated films are remakes ("reimagining" if you will) of films that are originated long ago.

"Star Wars" dates back to the 70's.

"Star Trek" to the 60's

Then of course there's the granddaddy of them all:

Is there an original, fresh and good idea out there?

Well, the Japanese have one in production about a giant lizard destroying Tokyo that sounds promising...oh, wait. never mind. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 12:16pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

thank you r.f.
moving right along. wwz has just gotten panned by one reviewer. it premiered in london and brad pitt hosted the showing. what's up with that?

semi spoiler

pitt's character works for the u.n. and gets called upon to fight the zombies. does the u.n. have anything that resembles a "special zombie unit"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 1:17pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

pacific rim looks to be robot jox 2. and ..... i'm ok with that.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 2:16pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jun 4th, 2013 at 1:17pm:

Actually, when I saw the trailer, I wondered why and when Del Toro had taken over the TRANSFORMERS sequels........

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 4:30pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 4th, 2013 at 2:16pm:
kirok wrote on Jun 4th, 2013 at 1:17pm:

Actually, when I saw the trailer, I wondered why and when Del Toro had taken over the TRANSFORMERS sequels........

why on earth would you think that they were transformers. number one they don't transform and number two they are piloted by human beings! hence my choice of robot jox.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:37pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

world war z has dropped back leaving elysium out front but man of steel is gaining steam.*

*i don't mean steampunk

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 7:29pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'm picking and hoping Man of Steel as the winner of this horse race.
Pacific Rim, maybe, but I'm still thinking it may be too much for average audiences to wrap their heads around.
Elysium, too early to tell, lots of possibilities for something great but also lots of possible cliches.
World War Z a great book but the movie is ignoring it and the advance word and re-shoots make me nervous about it despite a great looking trailer.
(and also wonder why you keep kicking that dead horse for the last entrant. ) Smiley

BTW A sleeper film not likely to make a huge amount of cash but might be a good marathon choice.
Worlds End  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__1Y-N5tQk  (not to be confused with This Is The End)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 11:37am

kirok   Offline
God Member

ed symkuses's announcement that general zod is in "man of steel" has pushed it ahead of the pack. predicted box office has jumped 10 million. ed does your interview contain spoilers?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 11:11am

kirok   Offline
God Member

man of steel has faltered due to announcements of mixed reviews. elysium is the clear leader. weekend box office for man of steel needs to be at least 150 million to catch up.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 3:11am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok:
ed symkuses's announcement that XXX XXXXX is in "man of steel" has pushed it ahead of the pack. predicted box office has jumped 10 million. ed does your interview contain spoilers?

I'm shocked SHOCKED to hear that reviews contain spoilers. I hope they keep Clark Kent's true identity under  wraps...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 11:47am

kirok   Offline
God Member

the thursday midnight show box office for man of steel was 21 million. it's way out front. btw ironman 3 never made it out of the gate.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:21pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

I don't understand what you mean by "Iron Man 3" never making it out of the gate. It recently passed the $1 billion mark internationally.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4