WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (Read 26242 times)
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:48am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Saw it. It was very, very, very good.  A major problem that kept it from being great but I won't get into it at this point.  No, it is not some fanboy nitpick, although I am sure that the purists will object to quite a few things.  Not the best Trek but certainly on the top shelf.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:38pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i can contain myself no longer. the box office results are in and this ain't no blockbuster. will someone please tell me why these scripts are not screened for ridiculousness before they go into production.
spoiler alert

;
;
;
;
spoiler alert

a volcano is definitely not a hollow mountain that contains swirling pools of lava and islands of solid rock. and if such a thing were possible would not the atmosphere within be at least as dense and ash laden as the stuff that is coming out the top. then spock throws in what is later referred to as a "cold fusion device". cold fusion if made feasible could only create massive amounts of energy which would only exacerbate the situation.
and what on earth were they thinking when not one but two technological advances were introduced which now give star fleet the ability to revive a dead person and the ability to transport instantaneously to anywhere in the universe? thanks to the writers infinite wisdom i will now be sitting and watching all subsequent sequels and saying "why on earth don't they get some of kahn's blood? why on earth didn't star fleet keep kahn in a coma and harvest his blood until every vessel is equipped with 20 pints?" similarly "why aren't they using scotties transwarp device to transport across the galaxy?"
and while we're on the subject of transwarp, is it just me or did it appear that the enterprise spent 5 to 10 minutes at warp speed before it dropped out of warp and was within shuttlecraft range of the klingon home world. and while on the klingon homeworld we only get to see one klingon. the rest of the klingons wore body armor. did the special effects budget cut into the prosthetic make up budget? answer: yes very likely.
carol marcus has a doctorate in applied physics yet she fails to realize the futility of running in a random direction in order to avoid beam up.
photon torpedos are people?
kirk uses 20 shots from a high powered phaser rifle in a failed attempt to break through the shields of kahn's blackhawk hovercraft. he then throws the phaser rifle at the hovercraft and it breaks through the shields and crashes the ship.
calling old spock was lame and pointless and it will afford situations in sequel films where viewers will ask themselves "why don't they just call old spock?"

Modified to minimize text size BECAUSE MOST OF THE PLANET HAS STILL NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE - Admin

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:46pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

also this time chris pine was doing rob lowe. i was most disappointed by this. i really enjoyed his performance in star trek I.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2013 at 10:29pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I sort of wound up doing a split review on this one.

Non-spoiler thing for eFilmCritic

Nerdy spoiler thing on my blog

Short version:  I had a pretty good time through most of the movie, but a fair amount of things that felt wrong built up for me toward the end.  It started out as exactly what I wanted from a new-Trek movie, and I honestly wish it had tried to pander to me less - every substantive attempt to play to the longtime fan as opposed to just tell a fun space adventure story weakened the movie.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2013 at 10:33pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SPOILER ALERT:

The phrase I've come up with is that it isn't necessary to "Repeat the Future" for these characters and these sequels.........

Jay Seaver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 10:29pm:
I sort of wound up doing a split review on this one.

Non-spoiler thing for eFilmCritic

Nerdy spoiler thing on my blog

Short version:  I had a pretty good time through most of the movie, but a fair amount of things that felt wrong built up for me toward the end.  It started out as exactly what I wanted from a new-Trek movie, and I honestly wish it had tried to pander to me less - every substantive attempt to play to the longtime fan as opposed to just tell a fun space adventure story weakened the movie.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - May 19th, 2013 at 10:45pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 10:33pm:
SPOILER ALERT:

The phrase I've come up with is that it isn't necessary to "Repeat the Future" for these characters and these sequels.........

SPOILER*****
And there is my major problem with the movie.  I am sure to have a similar complaint for Man of Steel.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2013 at 11:30am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SPOILER_________________

Funny, you should bring up MAN OF STEEL. As INTO DARKNESS devolved into a slightly altered remake of STAR TREK II, I started comparing it to the last attempted reboot of the SUPERMAN franchise. SUPERMAN RETURNS was so loyal to the Donner SUPERMANs that RETURNS never got any momentum. Similarly, you have wonder if the current TREK series will ever grow legs of its own.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2013 at 11:51am

kirok   Offline
God Member

the previews were intriguing. this summer looks like a horse race between "man of steel" "elysium" and "world war z". if all 3 fail i am done with hollywood i can tell you that right now. i am done with 3d. the digital projection i saw was dark.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2013 at 12:16pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

spoiler alert
;
;
;
;
spoiler alert

the enterprise is hiding from a tribe of primitives by submersing itself in the ocean!!??!! was that really necessary??? you can safely assume that they do not have powerful telescopes or radar technology so why not just stay in orbit and beam down like they do in this situation EVERY futtING TIME!!
SHEESH

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2013 at 10:43pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Anyone want to comment on the fact the Enterprise is now an ATV?
It seems to be made to maneuver very well in an atmosphere turning it into The Millennium Falcon.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - May 21st, 2013 at 6:46am

kirok   Offline
God Member

klingons would not wear helmets with full facial visors because they must show their face when they kill some one

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #26 - May 25th, 2013 at 11:52pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

after further reflection i am only more steadfast in my conviction. this movie was deliriously ridiculous. am i the only one who sees it.

spoiler

they killed captain pike! good lord.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #27 - May 26th, 2013 at 9:32am

kirok   Offline
God Member

kirok wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 11:52pm:
after further reflection i am only more steadfast in my conviction. this movie was deliriously ridiculous. am i the only one who sees it.

spoiler

they killed captain pike! good lord.

ahh. vindication. into darkness is being panned on imdb.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

some of these scathing reviews are dated before the 5/17 premiere. from now on i will check imdb before attending a premiere.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #28 - May 28th, 2013 at 9:18pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Saw it again with another group of friends.  I liked it even more on second viewing.  However, my main objection still stands.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - May 29th, 2013 at 2:10am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 9:18pm:
Saw it again with another group of friends.  I liked it even more on second viewing.  However, my main objection still stands.

What is said "main objection"? (w/spoiler warning, natch)

And, honestly, I cannot remember the last time I saw a film twice on it's original theatrical run. Just too many movies, and not enough time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3