WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (Read 26240 times)
May 7th, 2013 at 9:41pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

A quick report. The film is not being screened in advance for the general press. L.A. and (I believe) New York critics will have normal critics screenings, but only a selected few (major dailies) will see it anywhere else in North America. That's usually a bad sign. The interesting twist is, because I had an interview lined up (Simon Pegg), I had a private screening. Really private, in a big auditorium. Like me and a security guard so I wouldn't pirate the movie. I will honor Paramount's requested embargo on my thoughts by only saying that I am excitedly looking forward to a second viewing. I have no clue as to why they're not proudly showing this film to all critics. Please don't read about it before seeing it, as many critics will undoubtedly give away things that you'll not want to know.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 7th, 2013 at 10:25pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

It's been kind of weird how this movie has kept itself low key in publicity. Not revealing the main plot and such.
As a result the fans have sort of put it out of their minds paying more attention to advance trailers for Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and World War Z.

I'm looking forward to it myself.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2013 at 11:36am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It is curious, and I've heard this story from others as well. It's doubly odd since most of the early word is positive on the picture.

You have to wonder if the studio either wants to low-ball expectations, or just plain mis-calculated how good the film is. Or, maybe, it's just an insane bit of oversensitivity fearing some kind of major plot leak or pirating (both are likely to happen anyway!).

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2013 at 11:58am

kirok   Offline
God Member

okay. who is going to the premier? i will. i vow. i have a free pass.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2013 at 5:48pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Kirok:
okay. who is going to the premier? i will. i vow. i have a free pass.

We've got opening night tickets for Randolph in the Lux section. Should this, like many recent highly anticipated films, not live up to expectations it's good to have a wide selection of hard liquor on hand. Grin

I for one am glad that they're doing such a good job keeping the details hush-hush. I hate having to change channels at home or go for popcorn in the theater because some trailer editor has to include that money shot where the villain gets it. Sad

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2013 at 10:32pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I wonder if it's J.J. Abrams's secrecy fetish reaching its logical endpoint.  From what I gather, Kathleen Kennedy isn't inclined to indulge him on that for Star Wars, but, yeah, this really seems to be backfiring on Paramount, especially since it's opening this weekend internationally and I gather it's not being particularly hidden there.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2013 at 11:47am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First of all -
see it in 70mm
if you get the chance. Really worth the effort to do so since a decent chunk of the movie was shot that way, and even the 35mm stuff looks miles better than crappy grey and milky shadows digital. Unfortunately, it appears they are only offering 70mm along with Imax and 3D, so it can be pricey - but, still worth it!

It's good, not great, but, there are a number of nice Trek and SF touches for the fans. It may not have the most original plot, but, it moves along with enough wit and intelligence to not fall into the sophomore slump.

The biggest debits: It perhaps owes too much debt to the original series (at some point they have to just do their own thing - just because these are the same characters at a younger age, doesn't mean they have to repeat the future all the time). JJ Abrams still seems to think that camera light flares and over-the-top action somehow make his Trek more palatable to the kiddies. We get it. It's a new series with new camera techniques and younger stars who can do more physical action, but that doesn't mean the laws of physics don't apply. 'Twas the characters and their interactions with each other and the universe that made Trek - not grandiose sfx, flashy camerawork, and action.

As to why Paramount seemed so aggressive in keeping the film away from many critics - who knows? Once a few critics (not to mention foreign countries) see it - everybody has heard about it anyway in this day and age! And, the big "spoiler" was on the internet months ago anyway...........

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2013 at 4:00pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

third worst star trek ever! more extensive spoiler filled review later.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2013 at 4:25pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Given that there are no real blockbusters to compete with, S.T.I.D. and peoples reactions will be quickly spreading.

It looks like there will be lines.

I'm glad I got tickets in advance! Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2013 at 12:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Be VERY careful with spoilers, folks. Even in the Spoiler Only thread, use the smallest font type available - and no giveaway PHOTOS. Remember, the Spoiler thread comes up if you use the Last 5 posts link!

As to the lines. The early box office is good, but not as good as the first film, let alone some of the other recent must-see blockbusters.

ANYPLACE in Boston showing this in 70MM??????????

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2013 at 4:30pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Doubt it.  Jordan's said they were digital-only now when I asked what format they were using for The Hobbit back in December, the Museum of Science doesn't do Hollywood stuff, and the Aquarium usually gets stuff like this second-run, if at all - for reference, they got The Dark Knight Rises at the end of August last year.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2013 at 5:25pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Pretty f'n sad that a city as large as Boston has NO Imax 70mm theaters left.

Cry Cry Cry Cry

Jay Seaver wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 4:30pm:
Doubt it.  Jordan's said they were digital-only now when I asked what format they were using for The Hobbit back in December, the Museum of Science doesn't do Hollywood stuff, and the Aquarium usually gets stuff like this second-run, if at all - for reference, they got The Dark Knight Rises at the end of August last year.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2013 at 6:54pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 5:25pm:

Imax 70mm theaters?
Lets not forget that Boston has only TWO theaters, period.
Admittedly multiplex ones but still just 2 places so no real competition means why bother with something extra.

Not that I think either has 70mm but the Boston Common one snuck in an Imax house sometime when no one was paying attention and the Fenway has a competing big screen process called RPX in one house. 

For those REALLY into films here's a list of Imax venues which notes which ones have 70mm. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2013 at 7:42pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks for the Imax list. I guess it's time to lobby the Aquarium or the Museum of Science to show TREK the right way!

And, it also would be nice if Paramount would strike some NON-3D 70mm prints.

da_Bunnyman wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 6:54pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 5:25pm:

Imax 70mm theaters?
Lets not forget that Boston has only TWO theaters, period.
Admittedly multiplex ones but still just 2 places so no real competition means why bother with something extra.

Not that I think either has 70mm but the Boston Common one snuck in an Imax house sometime when no one was paying attention and the Fenway has a competing big screen process called RPX in one house. 

For those REALLY into films here's a list of Imax venues which notes which ones have 70mm. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:07am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 7:42pm:
Thanks for the Imax list. I guess it's time to lobby the Aquarium or the Museum of Science to show TREK the right way!

And, it also would be nice if Paramount would strike some NON-3D 70mm prints.

And for those who feel a 70mm print is still not enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FimnBrtsz0s

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3