WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THE WORLD'S END (Read 5491 times)
Aug 7th, 2013 at 2:20pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It took me a bit of time to get into the latest Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg/Nick Frost genre comedy - it has a group of friends trying to complete a 12-stop pub crawl, and I just don't connect with making plans around beer - but this is a very dependable team that comes through:  Once crazy stuff involving robots (although the characters will argue that it's not the right word) starts happening, it's got the combined energy of a fun bit of sci-fi action and a good ensemble comedy.  Great way to end the summer.

(Full review here)

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 7:49pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It's fun, but slight. Yes, I agree the first third is a bit slow, but, things pick up in the second half of this The Hangover meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Like HOT FUZZ and PAUL, there are some definitely fun set pieces and some decent buddy-buddy material, but, the connective tissue is thin at best. Still, the cult status of SHAUN OF THE DEAD and other pop culture work of Pegg, Frost & Wright gives them a lot of good will. And, it's a HELL of a lot better than the similarly themed THIS IS THE END.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 8:01pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Just got back from seeing it.
Yeah drags a little at beginning but that may be deliberate. Letting you meet the characters and show how every one changed but King.
Perfect for late night marathon showing.
Like "Paul" it does ultimately turn out to be about friendship.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:26pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The more I think about it, the more I think LA's characterization of it as "slight" is a bit off the mark.  It's not obviously complex, but Wright & Pegg's script is damn near fractal in how it seems to reveal more detail (consistent with what has come before) the closer one looks.  There's cleverness in the names and how it tips its hand early but doesn't give anything away.

Plus, I kind of dismissed Eddie Marsan in my original review, and he's actually pretty great in it, as is the rest of the ensemble.  It's funny enough to mask just how much care it is made with.

Oh, and I think any reservations people might have about Wright doing Ant-Man should go out the window.  He seems pretty clever with unlikely heroes, does great action, and if he's been fine-tuning the screenplay for the past few years, I suspect it will lead to something special.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:41pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I forgot to mention that it has a very good Brit Pop song score with the likes of Suede, Happy Mondays and Blur - consistent with the 90s nostalgia theme.

I still think it's lightweight, but, fun. All the cleverness can't mask a fairly hollow core and the ending (don't worry, no spoilers) kind of undercuts (and not in an edifying) many of the themes it works hard for 100+ minutes to build up to.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 12:05am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Actually, I think the end is kind of brilliant, because

it (a) emphasizes that "you should grow up like everyone else" is not the point of the movie and (b) doesn't back off what's unpleasant about the point it is trying to make about uniformity and conformity. I think a lot of movies would be a little wishy-washy about it, but Wright & company aim to tear the Starbuckers down and find not standing up for your friends a much more heinous crime than living in the past.  It may not be the end or message we expect, but it's the one that fits.

IP Logged