WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
LAST year's Marathon (SF/37,2012) - memories etc. (Read 17648 times)
Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:25pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

While we wait until the rest of this year's 'thon schedule is announced, let's look back at LAST year's Marathon in February 2012. Below, is the list of films in the order that they were shown

(go to this link for a more detailed summary: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1325900136):

SF/37 February 19-20:

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
BRAINSTORM
WAR OF THE SATELLITES
ENDHIRAN THE ROBOT
DIMENSIONS: A Line, A Loop, A Tangle of Threads
ATTACK THE BLOCK
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
SCANNERS
FRANKENSTEIN
RE-ANIMATOR
COWBOY BEBOP: The Movie
PAUL
MISSION GALACTICA: The Cylon Attack
FOLKLORE

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Gee, I know our audience is getting older and we are losing some of our memory, but no recollections of last year's Marathon?  It was only 11 months ago.

Roll Eyes

I'll chime in, but I hoped someone else would take the ball first.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:05pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 5:56pm:
Gee, I know our audience is getting older and we are losing some of our memory, but no recollections of last year's Marathon?  It was only 11 months ago.

You want memories?  Really?  Okey-dokey.
     I remember:
  •      Getting the order of the movies at the last second without time to make corrective technical changes (wont happen again this year, right?  Right?).
  •      Making two minor but infuriating screw-ups.  Messed up the start of War of the Satellites, & missed an out-of-frame splice in that mono print of Brainstorm.  Very annoying.
  •      Meeting Joe Neff for all of five seconds before he disappeared into the void.  Would have liked to chat with him some.
  •      Finding that the new (crummy) video projector it took me hours to set up correctly on the balcony was not sending the sound signal into the booth & frantically setting up an inferior replacement (also wont happen again this year).
  •      Discovering -- to my total surprise -- that Cowboy Bebop was a new print & had to be run on singles....way late in the am.  Yeesh.  Plus:
  •      It meant that I didnt have enough single reels for all the features that needed them, so I had to come up with a method to utilize them on the fly.
  •      Bloody loved running Paul for this crowd.  If ever there was a movie tailor-made for this group of crazies, it's Paul.  We ought to play this every other year.  Everybody got every joke, even the really obscure ones.
  •      Also liked running that three hour mess of an Indian film, because it gave me lots of time to eat & get other things done.  Breaking it down wasnt much fun, though.  Nine reels.  Goodness.
  •      Not a lotta moolah in my tip jar.  I haz a sad. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry 

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 9:39am

kirok   Offline
God Member

dave. if you want more in the tip jar, don't attack sarah palin in your opening speech. there are a significant number of conservatives in the audience and they have more money.

all others: i do know this will infuriate dave but i don't think that makes it any less true or post worthy.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

PRIVATE MESSAGE guys, PRIVATE MESSAGE.

The topic is last year's Marathon, not last year's arguments...

Roll Eyes

kirok wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 9:39am:
dave. if you want more in the tip jar, don't attack sarah palin in your opening speech. there are a significant number of conservatives in the audience and they have more money.

all others: i do know this will infuriate dave but i don't think that makes it any less true or post worthy.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:53pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:43pm:
PRIVATE MESSAGE guys, PRIVATE MESSAGE.

The topic is last year's Marathon, not last year's arguments...

Roll Eyes

kirok wrote on Jan 6th, 2013 at 9:39am:

well, at last years marathon, dave stood up and trashed sarah palin.*

* on topic and post worthy.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 10:21am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Well, if it's relevant, then- - -
Sarah Palin at a fantasy/SF convention is not totally appropriate.
She would fit much better into a Horror marathon.
Does that end the conversation?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:51pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

actually a sarah palin parody appears in "iron sky"
imho the producers should have a gild edged priority for "iron sky"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 4:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'm glad PAUL worked out. I pushed for it starting the previous summer. It just seemed right up the alley for this crowd. (as do parts of this year's ARGO, though it's not SF)

I wouldn't say it warrants a semi-annual re-visit, but, a return would be welcome down the road. Just wished my original schedule had held up and it was shown as the closing film over that Folky film..........

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:05pm:

•      Bloody loved running Paul for this crowd.  If ever there was a movie tailor-made for this group of crazies, it's Paul.  We ought to play this every other year.  Everybody got every joke, even the really obscure ones.

•  
    IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 11:12pm

Metaluna   Offline

If you remember SF37 you weren't really there.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
    IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 12:04am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
    God Member
    Boston

Quote:
    Quote:
    Metaluna:
    If you remember SF37 you weren't really there.

I remember it like it was yesterday. We arrived in loaches north of NaTrang. The ARViNs were under AK-47 fire from the VC, so the LZ was hot. To our surprise the NVA showed up in BT-13s so the ARViNs, lacking heavy ordinance, fell back. We defiled into a ravine, deployed our LAWs and waited....Oh, wait... that was Nam! Wrong flashback. Wink

21st Century Man
    IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 1:07pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
    God Member
    SF Rocks
    Peabody, MA

I remember it all as if it was yesterday.
    Unfortunately yesterday I was at the hospital for some tests and so all I remember is pain and medication.

Time for my cookie?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
    IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 4:39pm

kirok   Offline
    God Member

the thing i remember most about last years marathon was metaluna and her sister lost the duck dodger and i.q. high dolls that i let them hold for me. has any one seen them?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
    IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:50pm

YaBB Administrator
    SF Rocks

Looking back at last year's Marathon lineup with the perspective of 11 months or so, I guess the phrase that comes to mind is "Mixed Bag".

There were some definite highs (ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, PAUL) as well as a low or two (FOLKLORE). Of course, any Marathon by definition will have ups and downs, but, last year saw more middling stuff than usual. Too many horror-centric selections, a couple of so-so films based on other media (COWBOY BEBOP, GALACTICA) and a pair of uninspiring Festival "premieres" (although DIMENSIONS wasn't bad).

And, then there was ENDHIRAN (aka EnDUREan) which was like a mini 3 hour marathon of its own filled with enough "stuff" to stock several films.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 8:47am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
    God Member
    Boston

Quote:
    LA:
    ...the phrase that comes to mind is "Mixed Bag

I'm reminded of the famous psychic Edgar Cayce (1877-1945) who, when asked about the Stock Market, paused and said in all seriousness: ..."It would fluctuate.". Cayce also predicted the world would end in 1945 and for him it did!

Stock Markets always fluctuate and just about every 'thon could be called a mixed bag. For me this one beat expectations. An above average nine of the films were new to me. Not only did I see what could well be, the finest three-hour Indian Robot Musical ever, I also saw "Paul", "Attack the Block", "Dimensions", "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "War of the Satellites" for the first time and all beat my expectations. "Cowboy Bebop" met my expectations and "Folklore"...let's not go there.

The five I had seen before were all worth a second look. There was, for me at least, no dinner break or sleep-through film. In the words of "Galactaca II" costar Lloyd Bridges, It was "The wrong week to give up coffee."

This year, with the addition of Fritz Lange's "Die Frau im Mond", is shaping up much the same. We saw the longer restored version on Netflix a year ago and loved it. I'm excited. Cheesy

21st Century Man
    IP Logged

Pages: 1 2