WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

New people to the 'thon (Read 7271 times)
Jan 17th, 2013 at 5:40am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I've convinced my niece to come to the "thon. She iand her fiancé are newbies. Just wondering how many veterans have brought new people to the 'thon and if they are still going.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 9:07am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Well everyone at the marathon was a newbie at one time. Smiley
But I have convinced people to attend over the years. Some still do. A few I will run into every couple of years as something brings them back for another sleep deprivation experiment.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:42pm

Jon   Offline
MA

After many, many years, my son decided to come and bring his son.  They both attended for a number of years.  My grandson has other priorities this year (bless him!), but my son plans to return.  Also, one of my cousins started to attend a few years back, and is lately a regular, too.  I have attended with a number of different groups of people over the (past 37) years, many of whom have returned repeatedly, and some of whom have moved on to other idiosyncractic social events for various reasons of their own.  Most have attended for multiple years before moving on - because they enjoyed the exerience.  It's always been a good time for groups of people who can process the endless stream of cinematic experience with one another.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:48pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

It gets me to wondering how many are still going from the Orson Welles days? 
I myself have brought different groups over the years son, daughter and friends.  My son is back after a few years absence and I have a bud who has now attended for the past two years.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 11:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:48pm:
I myself have brought different groups over the years son, daughter and friends.  My son is back after a few years absence and I have a bud who has now attended for the past two years.   

It would be interesting just to ask how many of this years attendees were at any of the Welles marathons.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:21am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

It would be interesting, though I see a lot fewer faces that I recognize from the Welles days.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 7:59am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:21am:
It would be interesting, though I see a lot fewer faces that I recognize from the Welles days.

Very true that is why I bring it up.  I mean a lot of stuff happens to people over the course of 26 or so years.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 3:56pm

Brendan   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Brookline NH

We started attending 5 years ago because one of my husband's coworkers convinced us to attend. We only made it until about 10pm that first year, but the past few years we've managed to hold on until about 4am.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 4:41pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:48pm:

I started attending at SF4 and have only missed SF5 (sold out before we thought to get tickets) and SF11 (Russian Flu).
I have invited new folk that have become regular attendees and have brought back Marathoids after a 25 year hiatus. This year our group will number 6, possibly 7 with two being newbies Grin

IP Logged