WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THis just in from my pal on fb Ernest Borgnine-RIP (Read 10948 times)
Jul 8th, 2012 at 5:12pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

One of my all time favorites.  Marty and Mchale's Navy were but the tip of the iceberg.  He did it all and was working right until the end.  Sci-fi and horror credits came later in his long long career but they include Gattaca, Black Hole, Escape From New York, Willard, Neptune Factor, The Devil's Rain, The Ravagers, Super Cop.  He did the voice of Mermain Man on Spongebob and was in Future Cop and Airwolf and in the tv series Captain Video.  He had a magnificent and varied career on film and TV.    
I will always remember how generous and nice he was to his fans.  The man was 90 when I saw him at a convention and the line for autographs was insane.  He took care of everyone and ended the day smiling.  Godspeed to you sir.  You brought me more enjoyment than you could possibly imagine......
The Wild Bunch, Ice Station Zebra, Emperor of the North, From Here to Eternity, Badlanders, Bad Day at Black Rock, Jubal, The Vikings, Torpedo Run.  It is endless.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 5:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Ernest Borgnine: Let's not forget his last 'thon appearance in the underappreciated GATTACA.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 6:11pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Yea I covered that.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 6:40pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

his oscar win was for "Marty". i think we should show "escape from new york" in his memory. he will also be remembered for his answer to the question posed on good morning america: "what is your secret of longevity"?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ&feature=player_embedded

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 5:12pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

borgnine is also famous for getting very drunk one night and waking up married to ethel merman.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 9:13pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 11:47pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Been travelling and haven't gotten a chance to absorb this news yet. Suffice it to say, Borgnino was one of my favorite character actors. He was still doing the rounds on talk shows and the like up to the very end. Always endlessly fascinating to hear his tales. GATTACA and ESCAPE FROM NY would both be welcome at the Marathon.

He will be sorely missed........ Cry

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 3:35pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Jul 10th, 2012 at 5:12pm:
borgnine is also famous for getting very drunk one night and waking up married to ethel merman.

Well who among us can truly say they haven't done that once or twice?

My favorite movie of his was Plan Ernest Borgnine From Outer Space.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:20pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

In one of his final public appearances, Ernest Borgnine talks about his role in that Marathon fave ESCAPE FROM NY:

http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/7202617

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:19pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

Metaluna wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 3:35pm:
kirok wrote on Jul 10th, 2012 at 5:12pm:

Well who among us can truly say they haven't done that once or twice?

My favorite movie of his was Plan Ernest Borgnine From Outer Space.

how about star trek: deep space borgnine? or district borgnine? had e neuf yet?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:51pm

Metaluna   Offline

kirok wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:19pm:
had e neuf yet?

Nein.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 5:02pm

kirok   Offline
God Member