WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

WILLIAM ASHER - 27th DAY, Beach Party Movies (Read 4393 times)
Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:05pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Director WILLIAM ASHER has passed on. He is best known for his TV work on shows like BEWITCHED (he was married to Elizabeth Montgomery at the time), I LOVE LUCY and THE TWILIGHT ZONE. In features he is best known for Directing a number of the 60s 'Beach Party' movies.

His film THE 27TH DAY was scheduled for the Marathon three times. It's first showing at SF/8 was one of the most pleasant Marathon surprises for me. It's not a great classic by any means, but a solid B effort with interesting and thoughful aspects. Years later, it was booked for SF/24. The print arrived. The schedule was set. And, then, on the day the projectionist noticed that the studio had sent its master Negative! Fortunately, this was noticed before the precious celluloid was projected. (This snafu led to the infamous DARK STAR on a rented VHS videotape projection). The proper 35mm print was shown the next year at SF/25. THE 27TH DAY was issued on Warner on Demand DVD last year (almost certainly utilizing the master print we could have scratched or damaged that fateful day!!)

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 2:28pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i for one cannot sit idley by and permit the 27th day to be referred to as having "interesting and thoughtful aspects". the movie is inane from start to finish. it is firmly entrenched in the jingoistic and anti communist paranoia sci fi genre of the 50's and 60's. towit beings from another planet tell six people that they are each being given 6 tablets with the power to destroy the earth.
spoiler
spoiler

the truth of the capsules turns out to be that they they don't kill everyone. they only kill commies. i highly recommend the movie but only as pure cheese.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 9:08pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hey, I like 27TH DAY - a lot. Sure, it doesn't have "modern production values" and the plot is off the rails kooky. That's why I like it so much. Give me a 27TH DAY over an action movie in Sci-Fi guise like BATTLESHIP, TRANSFORMERS TROIS etc. anyday. Great double feature with the nutso RED PLANET MARS!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:18pm

Metaluna   Offline

I picked up the paperback at a thrift shop a year or so ago. Still haven't gotten around to reading it. Kirok, you can borrow it when I am done. Maybe the book is better.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged