WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
SF/37 Marathon in Review (Read 74339 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:33am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Hang on, everyone. I finished editing the time lapse, but made the mistake of using copyrighted music that got it auto-blocked. Let me use something a little less illegal.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 1:28am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:08am:
As to the scheduling of FOLKLORE last. You can chalk it up to the event now being officially a Festival now. Part of the Festival game is that it can be prestigious to be selected as the "Closing Film" of a Festival. We've done this before with stuff like last year's ZONAD, SLEEP DEALERS and the German film SPACE PATROL. The Festival aspect has done well with giving the event some wider attention, and, it appears, an uptick in ticket sales.

In other circumstances, PAUL would have been my choice as the closing film.

Ok I get all that.  All I am saying to Garen is that he pick a more polished film as the closing film of the thon er.... "festival".      

I don;t want to give the impression that the thon was bad.  On the contrary, I really enjoyed this year's thon.  For me, it was one of the best line-ups in sometime.  I liked all of the other movies and really enjoyed most of them.  Scanners, War of the Satellites, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Paul, Attack the Block, Island of Lost Souls, Frankenstein, Re-Animator, Cowboy Bebop were all very enjoyable.

I liked Dimensions and about half of Endhiran.  Galactica, well it was ok.

No all in all it was a most enjoyable year.  I just would have ended with a different film.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 1:50am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Okay, let's try this again. Sadly, I was at a loss for what music I have on hand that would fit and not trigger the robo-censors on YouTube, so I'm afraid I just reused the same music from last time. For those who are interested, the thing which got the video blocked was my use of the track "Drezzed" from the TRON: Legacy soundtrack.

Anyway, please clicky-click the link and check out the video.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:10am

Brother Matthias   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:08am:
As to the scheduling of FOLKLORE last. You can chalk it up to the event now being officially a Festival now. ... We've done this before with stuff like last year's ZONAD, SLEEP DEALERS and the German film SPACE PATROL. The Festival aspect has done well with giving the event some wider attention, and, it appears, an uptick in ticket sales.

Well... "Folklore" was no "Sleep Dealers."  I agree with others that it was an unfortunate end to a great Marathon.  It was a lot to take on so much sleep deprivation.  It was a cute idea and they were trying sooo hard... but it really didn't work.  By its halfway point I wanted to punch everyone involved with making it [ETA: rereading this thread, I see I wasn't the only one having that reaction], and well before the end I was kind of hating the entire event.  It was not the way I wanted to feel walking out of the theater.

But if it helps to drive buzz and sell tickets, I'm all for that.  And I'm glad to say the feeling didn't last long.  I thought it was a really good year.  There wasn't a single other film that felt like a chore to sit through.  (Well, I napped during "Galactica.")  And all the films were new to me.

Just a few selected other reactions:

ENDHIRAN — Wow.  Not my favorite of the films but certainly the most memorable.  I think the dialogue with the mosquitos was when I realized it was completely nuts, but I still didn't see that last third coming.  One thing I love about the 'thon is that I get to see some bizarre things I would never have discovered otherwise.  This was one of those.

I love ejs's thought of splitting it up at the intermission and showing the second part later in the schedule.  That could have been a lot of fun.

Question, possibly for Jay Seaver from upthread: if you're used to Bollywood/Kollywood/whatever conventions, which I am not, how much less insane does that make "Endhiran" in context?  I assume the music videos are to be expected, but what about the rest?

DIMENSIONS — I loved the tone and the look of this one so much that I forgave the disappointing denouement.  (If you didn't have the Professor's identity down to at most two possibilities, you've never encountered science fiction before.  When an old guy shows up in the opening scene, doesn't give his name, and talks about time travel, that's kind of a gimme.)  A really affecting and beautifully made film.

Somebody mentioned that, after the Saturday showing, the filmmakers pointed out some interesting details that we might have missed on a first viewing.  Anybody want to share?  Or got a relevant link?

ATTACK THE BLOCK — I was really excited about this from the word of mouth and it didn't disappoint.  Whoever came up with making the teeth glow in the dark deserves a freaking Oscar.  This was probably my favorite this year.

FRANKENSTEIN — never seen it, thought it was great.  Another cultural literacy gap filled.

RE-ANIMATOR — I was a little turned off by the gore till I realized how funny it was.  Excellent choice for the wee-hours gut punch timeslot.

PAUL — much funnier than I'd mostly heard.  I agree that it would have been a fabulous ending film.  Perfect audience to see it with — really, this was the audience it was made for.

All told, great year.  Thanks to Garen and everybody else involved for what I'm sure is more hard work than I can imagine to make this thing happen every year.  I keep trying to rope new people in and I really thought I had a couple of them lined up this year.  Maybe next time.

Hey, do any of the rest of you ever skip films in the theater that you think will show up at the 'thon?  I had a feeling about "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (which I didn't especially want to see anyway, but whatever).  I was dead sure "Cowboys & Aliens" was going to be on the schedule, too.  Though from what I hear that was no great loss.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:20am

YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Hey Neil_N — thanks so much for posting the time lapse, I got a huge kick out of last year's.  Is the picture quality the same?  I can't seem to find myself this time.  (Also, it's still got the 2010 dates on it, FYI.)

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 7:35am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

As far as picture quality, it's the same as last year, only zoomed out a bit more and (sadly) a bit out of focus at times due to my having forgotten to lock down the auto focus. I'm afraid that it was never designed to be a good low-light still camera.

I'll try to do better next year. And hopefully have new music that won't trip the copyright censor.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:20pm by Neil_N »  
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 8:10am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i always say that revilement, abysmal quality, revulsiveness and unwatchability are not reasons to exclude a film from the marathon. it's fun when something like folklore gets panned. for those of you who left there was the usual crescendo of derision leading up to the end of folklore. the credits rolled for a minute and an outtake scene appeared. the whole audience let out a scream of agony. no more! no more!

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 1:26pm

YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 8:10am:
i always say that revilement, abysmal quality, revulsiveness and unwatchability are not reasons to exclude a film from the marathon. it's fun when something like folklore gets panned. for those of you who left there was the usual crescendo of derision leading up to the end of folklore. the credits rolled for a minute and an outtake scene appeared. the whole audience let out a scream of agony. no more! no more!

Oh, sure.  Absolutely.  Dealing with dreck is an important part of the 'thon.  I'll never forget the cheers that erupted at George Segal's tragic death at the end of "The Interminable Terminal Man."  Or the god-awful "demonlover," which if memory serves had a lot of deceptive false endings to prolong the agony.  And I'm sure we'll all be remembering "Folklore" similarly years from now.  But having it last on the schedule, with no chaser, was not fun.  I don't think the reaction would have been nearly so intense if it hadn't had to be the closing film.

L.A. Connection mentioned "Sleep Dealers."  That was a genuinely deserving film, which also happened to have a hugely cathartic happy ending.  I felt really good leaving that year.

I think it'll help now that we know what the deal is, and won't necessarily be expecting a crowd-pleaser at the very end.  Expectations management, you know?  Next year I'll probably have my stuff together just in case I want to duck out during the last film (although I'll be very surprised if we get another "Folklore" as the selection).

God, I hope the "Folklore" people aren't reading this forum.  They seem like really nice people and they so obviously put their heart into it.

(Neil_N — the video is just fine, I was only curious.  I love having these and I hope you keep producing them.)

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 8:37pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Brother Matthias wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:10am:
ENDHIRAN — Wow.  Not my favorite of the films but certainly the most memorable.  I think the dialogue with the mosquitos was when I realized it was completely nuts, but I still didn't see that last third coming.  One thing I love about the 'thon is that I get to see some bizarre things I would never have discovered otherwise.  This was one of those.

I love ejs's thought of splitting it up at the intermission and showing the second part later in the schedule.  That could have been a lot of fun.

Question, possibly for Jay Seaver from upthread: if you're used to Bollywood/Kollywood/whatever conventions, which I am not, how much less insane does that make "Endhiran" in context?  I assume the music videos are to be expected, but what about the rest?

I think Endhiran is nuts no matter what your cultural background.  I'm not really a big Indian-movie fan (I go when there's something playing that might be up my alley for other reasons), but the thing you've got to get used to is that these things try to be all things for all people, so they're going to have big action, broad comedy, melodrama, musical numbers, etc.  And they're going to last a while; they're meant to be an entire afternoon's or evening's entertainment for the whole family.

Plus, you're dealing with a different culture.  There were certain bits of this movie that the mostly-Indian audience I saw it with a Fresh Pond reacted to with huge noise/applause/laughter (Rajinikanth apparently has a few tics that carry over from movie to movie, so when he wags his finger, the crowd goes nuts).  There tend to be cameo appearances that I generally don't get, and you'll occasionally have really violent thrillers that are very prudish where sex is concerned.  As in, I was actually kind of surprised when Aishwarya Rai's character kissed Rajini's, on-screen, toward the start, because her reputation has always been that she's a good girl and wouldn't do that.

I don't think breaking it up like a serial would have worked; it's designed to have a moment for the audience to stretch their legs or hit the restroom/concession stands, but it picks right back up where it left off without re-establishing things.

DIMENSIONS - ...Somebody mentioned that, after the Saturday showing, the filmmakers pointed out some interesting details that we might have missed on a first viewing.  Anybody want to share?  Or got a relevant link?

The thing I remember them mentioning is the bit where "The Professor" holds the jump rope between himself and Stephen and basically saying they were the same guy at two ends of their lives.

Hey, do any of the rest of you ever skip films in the theater that you think will show up at the 'thon?

Skip films at the theater?  Ha ha ha ha ha...

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:40pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Some comments on prior posts:

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 20th, 2012 at 5:07pm:

BRAINSTORM:  Dug it, although it's a shame the 70mm gear at the theater isn't ready yet....

ENDHIRAN: 
A reminder for those who didn't have it seared into their brains:  Aishwarya Rai is really, really pretty, and a big part of why I occasionally go to Indian movies.

It really doesn't matter if we had 70mm installed by now: there probably are no 70mm prints available for  BRAINSTORM. For all the shouting about showing ALTERED STATES in 70mm this year, we were not even able to procure a 35mm print, because the studio only offered Blu Ray (and we saw how THAT looked on the big screen with DIMENSIONS & FOLKLORE!). I did manage to find a private print of ALTERED STATES, but even the print collector admitted that we "probably didn't want to rent it because it had faded totally red".

You really have to add a few more "really really"'s about Rai's prettiness.  Wink

Neil_N wrote on Feb 21st, 2012 at 2:42pm:
11.) Cowboy Bebop - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

This is one of the very rare cases where I wished that we'd gotten the excellent dub instead of this flawed subtitle. The translation really skimped on some important dialogue. On the upside, it was a lovely print, and I think this movie works even when you haven't seen the TV series.

Surprised an anime purist would prefer dubbed. But, I disagree about the movie working for non-fans of the series. As enticing as it was to see and hear, about 10 minutes in, I felt that the characters were already acting like it was reel 3 of the movie. I kinda figured out what was going on, but felt that all the nuances were inexplicable.

ejs wrote on Feb 21st, 2012 at 7:14pm:
ENDHIRAN: If this had been two hours, it would rank as an all-time marathon highlight, and I'd be scrambling to find a copy to show to friends. At 3 hours, the drag outweighed a lot of the greatness. I suspect this would have gone over better if we paused at intermission to continue with other features, and then picked up the second half later in the marathon, rather than sitting through it all at once.

Totally agree. At 2 hours the audience would have loved the experience. But, by the 3rd hour, I think a lot of attendees were simply worn out (accounting for the smattering of boos). But, as Jay will attest, it is not unusual for Indian films to hit the 2 1/2 hour mark and more. It's a cinema tradition (not to mention a cheap night's entertainment for the masses). And, we did consider splitting the film in half at the intermission point and running something short like WAR OF THE SATELLITES in between so the audience could catch their breath. A good 5-10 minute Intermission alone would have been helpful, but it was a no-go because the schedule was so packed.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:46am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:47am

Metaluna   Offline

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 21st, 2012 at 10:36pm:
11) Cowboy Bebop- Problem with a lot of anime movies is they are based on shows and designed for fans of the show. This one seemed to have characters who were bored with what they did, and that computer geek had the most annoying voice I've ever heard.

It's even worse in the English dub.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfqGIr2W0_o

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 3:57pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

I enjoyed most of the 'Thon!  Thanks to all who helped make it a fun event as always. 

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES: Good reboot of the franchise.  Smart story with a few issues.  It's on my list to watch again. 

ENDHIRAN: A fun time, but way too long.  An one and half hour version would have been more than acceptable.

DIMENSIONS: I appeciated the effort the filmmakers put into this movie.  Making a period piece on an indy budget is probably not the easiest thing to do.

FRANKENSTEIN and ISLAND OF LOST SOULS:  I can never grow tired watching these two movies.  Thanks for including them.

PAUL: A nice suprise and should have been the 'Thon closer.  Would have been a great, fun way to end it. 

FORKLORE: An amazingly unpleasant movie watching experience!  Almost a perfect example on how to NOT to make a feature-length movie.  A 5-10 minute short film at best.  Too bad this was the last movie.  I should have left after viewing it for 10 minutes.  Ugghhh!!!...

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 4:15pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

This just in folks

2012 GORT AWARD WINNER FOR
BEST FEATURE FILM
Dimensions: A Line, A Loop, A Tangle of Threads
Director: Sloane U'Ren
Screenwriter: Ant Neely

BEST DOCUMENTARY
The Golden Age of Science Fiction
Director: Eric Solstein

BEST SPACE MOVIE
The Last Push
Director: Eric Hayden

BEST ROBOT MOVIE
Time of the Robots
Director: Erik Hammen

BEST MASH-UP MOVIE
Time of the Robots
Director: Erik Hammen

BEST CRITTER MOVIE
Millennium Big
Director: Kenneth Cran

BEST DIRECTOR
Justin Calen Chenn, Folklore

BEST ACTOR
Khary Payton, The Last Push

BEST EDITING
Pig

BEST ENSEMBLE ACTING
Folklore

BEST SCREENPLAY
Zero One, Kareem Gray

BEST SCORE
Zero One

HONORABLE MENTION
Collapsed
Director Justin McConnell

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:16pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:40pm:

For all the shouting about showing ALTERED STATES in 70mm this year, we were not even able to procure a 35mm print, because the studio only offered Blu Ray (and we saw how THAT looked on the big screen with DIMENSIONS & FOLKLORE!).

I think the biggest problem with the video projection is that the projector itself was underpowered. There are excellent video projectors that can throw enough light to make it more watchable in Blu-Ray.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:03am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

True, there are better Blu Ray projectors, but, with a screen the size of the Somerville's (not to mention the distance from the booth), it still is a big comedown from a 35mm print (let alone 70mm).

The Somerville is going at least partially digital this spring. That means we will be showing recent films digitally likely beginning next Marathon. Unfortunately, there seems to be little movement so far by studios to properly convert archive titles into proper digital "prints". Rather, they seem bent on offering DVDS whenever possible.  Sad

Neil_N wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:16pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:40pm:

For all the shouting about showing ALTERED STATES in 70mm this year, we were not even able to procure a 35mm print, because the studio only offered Blu Ray (and we saw how THAT looked on the big screen with DIMENSIONS & FOLKLORE!).

I think the biggest problem with the video projection is that the projector itself was underpowered. There are excellent video projectors that can throw enough light to make it more watchable in Blu-Ray.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6