WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
SF/37 Marathon in Review (Read 74309 times)
Reply #30 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:40am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 4:15pm:
This just in folks

2012 GORT AWARD WINNER FOR
BEST ENSEMBLE ACTING
Folklore

To be fair, you should see the other guys!  Or not.

Personally, I think Folklore is less a bad movie than one that apparently caught folks at the wrong time, and whatever else you say about it, the cast does work well together; I'd argue that the only other "ensemble" in the running with them was Dimensions.  Besides, from that awards list, it looks like Garen & company were hell-bent on giving anyone who showed up personally or who was half-competent an award.

Which is problematic in itself - it reminds me of the current owners of the Boston Film Festival who appear to be much more interested in having celebrity guests than showing movies.  Garen's weakness appears to be premieres; he boasted about how many world/NA/local premieres the fest had, but, honestly, most of those were not premiering at higher-profile festivals for a reason (The Millennium Bug, In the Renaissance, Neander-Jin, Sol, and Time Again were all pretty awful).  I tend to figure that the festival would be better off booking some good things that played Fantasia/Fantastic Fest/Sundance than a bunch of terrible premieres, and not just because I paid actual money to see those things.

Of the stuff that played the festival, The Last Push would have been a pretty great finale for the Marathon in the place of Folklore; folks should seek that out when it eventually gets some sort of VOD/DVD distribution.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:08am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

That movie played at any hour would have been terrible.  That it was played as the last movie is worse but not by much. 
To say that this is not so bad because the others were worse is to damn it with faint praise.
At best it would have been an ok 15 minute short. 

The fact that a bunch of bad actors work well together is hardly praise.  The annoying camera girl, the interviewer straight man.  Just bad.  This movie is not good as a full length feature on any level.   

I will take your word on Last Push and I will catch it when and if I can.  As I said I don't ind ending with a festival film but you have to make sure that it will entertain.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 9:41am

Brother Matthias   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 8:37pm:
The thing I remember them mentioning is the bit where "The Professor" holds the jump rope between himself and Stephen and basically saying they were the same guy at two ends of their lives.

Thanks, Jay.  I think that did get past me.

I've been overthinking "Dimensions" and I had this thought.  Stephen appears in the opening sequence as the Professor, as an old man.  Why is he there?  It's not to take the jump-rope, obviously, because he doesn't take it in the version of the scene as we see it play out — Conrad goes on to drop it down the well.  So could this Stephen have come back to prevent Victoria from dying in some other way?  If so, it was futile: the jump-rope goes down the well and she still dies.  Which raises the question, in the scene at the end of the movie, is Victoria going to live, or will she die in yet another way?  Is there an endless chain of Stephens, doomed to travel back in time to try to save an endless chain of Victorias?

That depressing speculation doesn't really fit with the many-worlds idea expressed in the film.  But I am curious exactly what Original Stephen was doing there.  (...Goes looking for an email address for the filmmakers...)

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:53pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

as i said in my reaction post this movie is frought with plot holes. but that's inherent in any time travel movie. steven and conrad both gave up their 1920 lives and had to wait from roughly 1870 to 1923 just to steal a "skipping rope"?? they are taking a hell of a risk that victoria will fall down the well for some other reason. her true motivation was not to rescue her "beloved skipping rope". primarily she wanted to prove to the boys that she was not a "fraidy cat knocky knickers".
and i see no need to personally transport to the past. instead send the following message: "dear victoria's mom. it is imperative that you weld an iron plate to the top of the well and seal it tight. your daughters life is in danger. also your husband should avoid military service if possible"

steven transported to 1870 with knowledge of not only relativity and quantum mechanics but also powerred flight, wireless and the reciprocating automatic weapons (machine gun, the gattling gun is not a machine gun). he worked as a proffessor and managed to keep his mouth shut. kudos.

why in fact does steven go back in time, wait 50 years and steal a "skipping rope" in order to create an alternative reality which by his own theories is already in existence and in which he will not get to be with victoria?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:08am:
That movie played at any hour would have been terrible.  That it was played as the last movie is worse but not by much. 
To say that this is not so bad because the others were worse is to damn it with faint praise.

See, I think that's unnecessarily harsh.  It's a shotgun movie, tossing out 100 gags in the hope that 40 or so work, but to call it "terrible" strikes me as an exaggeration.  There's bits that work, and while it may strike you as damning with faint praise, I think the cast works well together, despite having stretches without anything interesting to do.  Even when gags don't work, it's not because the various actors aren't meshing.

kirok wrote on Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
as i said in my reaction post this movie is frought with plot holes. but that's inherent in any time travel movie.

It's not, actually; most writers just don't bother to fully sketch out the cause and effect, or vacillate between working a closed loop or a changeable future.  There's no reason not to have tight plotting in a time travel movie other than audiences letting writers and directors get away with it.

(Plus, I sort of get the idea that this one had a bunch of half-explored ideas meant to create deliberate ambiguity)

Anyway, from what I could tell, Stephen & Conrad weren't elderly because they'd hung around for years, but because traveling through the portal is damaging (remember Robert?).    As to why they just took the jump rope instead of doing something more proactive, I'm guessing they did in other timelines - the 1921 at the beginning is "one of many", and I suspect they traveled into another, making the 1921 - 1936 period the "tangle of threads" of the subtitle, as opposed to a loop.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 2:12pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

if you have access to a time machine the first thing you do is make a plan to keep an accurate log of every time that you lost access to the time machine. then you immediately go forward in time to retrieve the diary. armed with the details of all the events wherein you lost your time machine, you would then go back in time and make preparations that would prevent each event. for example h.g. wells would tell himself "don't leave your time machine unattended. some creatures called the morlocks will drag it into their cave"
now that you have guaranteed perpetual acces to you machine you can always do what bill and ted do. make a plan to use the time machine to put a key under a rock etc...

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 4:38pm

Metaluna   Offline

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:42pm:
It's a shotgun movie...

Yeah, kinda like a shotgun wedding. Cheesy

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:15pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Sorry Jay just not feeling it for Folklore.  I did not see actors meashing together here.  Certainly not to the degree where it would merit praise.  It's an interesting idea for a short film but the story did not have the horses for a full length feature and the acting was pretty uniformly bad.  I guess thay meashed in that sense.  I stayed with it for about 30-40 minutes but the gag of see the silly producer woman have fun with the goofy interviewer got old rather quickly and for a planet where these legendary creatures are part of our world, the crew seemed a bit lost.  It felt as if I was watching some amateur improv group.  Yes, they all get along marvelously, they just aren't very good at what they do.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:26pm

Metaluna   Offline

Re: Dimensions, it was a reasonably enjoyable film, though I felt it worked better as a period piece or romance than a time travel film. It kind of felt like a poor man's Somewhere in Time to me.

I found the relationship between the children pretty unbelievable. Well, throwing the jump rope down the well I believed but the kissy face goosey gander stuff, do kids ever act like that in real life?

I wondered too about taking the jump rope, it didn't seem like it would prevent the death. The little creep would have thrown something else of hers down there. It's kind of like the best scene in the remake of The Time Machine where (SPOILERS) Guy Pearce is able to go back and save his girlfriend only to have her run over by a carriage while he is buying her flowers. Watching that unfold through the window behind him made me laugh so hard. Nobody else was laughing though. Am I sick?

But compared to most of our indie premieres it was a decent movie. Pretty to look at certainly.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:09pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

the best laugh in folklore was unintentional. some one on screen wisecracked about whitney houston and several people snarked "too soon! too soon!"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 10:57pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:03am:
True, there are better Blu Ray projectors, but, with a screen the size of the Somerville's (not to mention the distance from the booth), it still is a big comedown from a 35mm print (let alone 70mm).

The Somerville is going at least partially digital this spring. That means we will be showing recent films digitally likely beginning next Marathon. Unfortunately, there seems to be little movement so far by studios to properly convert archive titles into proper digital "prints". Rather, they seem bent on offering DVDS whenever possible.  Sad

Neil_N wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:16pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:40pm:
Some comments on prior posts:

For all the shouting about showing ALTERED STATES in 70mm this year, we were not even able to procure a 35mm print, because the studio only offered Blu Ray (and we saw how THAT looked on the big screen with DIMENSIONS & FOLKLORE!).

I think the biggest problem with the video projection is that the projector itself was underpowered. There are excellent video projectors that can throw enough light to make it more watchable in Blu-Ray.

I will take some loss in quality if we are able to open up titles found only on DVD/Blu-Ray and if we had a better projector.  Hell, we have shown some awful film prints over the years.  I don't suggest an all dvd  thon but one or two films not otherwise available would be fine with me and probably most of the audience.  There are a handful of purists who won't have it any other way but it's time to let that go and open up film availability.  Hell, we are having a tough time getting 35mm prints from anywhere but private sources.  I say go for it.  Major Tom and I were discussing this at the end of the thon.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:09pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Because of my work schedule (and living 3,000 miles away), the Festival isn't possible for me to attend (plus, I think it should be more compact, it runs too long even for local residents), so I can't comment on those entries.

But, even if you had flipped FOLKLORE with the other Festival film DIMENSIONS, FOLKLORE would have still gone over very poorly with the Marathon crowd. In fact, even more people may have dashed for the exits as it would have served as a dinner break in that time slot. Heck, there were those who left before it even started because of having seen the trailer! And, this is one trailer that DOES represent the film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Er6RLuqVluc

ALL 

TOO 

WELL.........................

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:40am:
Frank wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 4:15pm:
This just in folks

2012 GORT AWARD WINNER FOR
BEST ENSEMBLE ACTING
Folklore

To be fair, you should see the other guys!  Or not.

Personally, I think Folklore is less a bad movie than one that apparently caught folks at the wrong time, and whatever else you say about it, the cast does work well together; I'd argue that the only other "ensemble" in the running with them was Dimensions.  Besides, from that awards list, it looks like Garen & company were hell-bent on giving anyone who showed up personally or who was half-competent an award.

Which is problematic in itself - it reminds me of the current owners of the Boston Film Festival who appear to be much more interested in having celebrity guests than showing movies.  Garen's weakness appears to be premieres; he boasted about how many world/NA/local premieres the fest had, but, honestly, most of those were not premiering at higher-profile festivals for a reason (The Millennium Bug, In the Renaissance, Neander-Jin, Sol, and Time Again were all pretty awful).  I tend to figure that the festival would be better off booking some good things that played Fantasia/Fantastic Fest/Sundance than a bunch of terrible premieres, and not just because I paid actual money to see those things.

Of the stuff that played the festival, The Last Push would have been a pretty great finale for the Marathon in the place of Folklore; folks should seek that out when it eventually gets some sort of VOD/DVD distribution.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:27pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

For the first time in a long time I left before the last film to catch a bus back to NYC (the last time was weather related, and leaving early ended up saving me major headaches).
From all that I've read here it was a good thing.
As it was, I was left with the soft, comforting glow of a successful 'Thon, with no misses to speak of.
After watching that trailer I thank the scheduling powers above for sparing me the experience that was Folklore.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:49pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The Palme D'Or once went to "Demonlover". The Oscar went to Roberto Benigni for "Life is Beautiful"....Now it's Gort's turn to honor:

Fecklore!
  Cool

Yes, Marathoids, there's a place far snarkier and less polite than this one...and the amazing thing is people use their real names there. Just wait till they get the news!

No doubt the choice will generate controversy and the 'Thon will grow in prestige. As Irish writer Brendan Behan once observed: "The only bad press is your own obituary!" Wink

Quote:
re: Folklore
Frank:
Quote:
That movie played at any hour would have been terrible...The acting was pretty uniformly bad.

Metaluna: re Shotgun Movie
Quote:
Yeah, kinda like a shotgun wedding.

etc...etc...etc...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 6:33pm

Metaluna   Offline

R_F_Fineman wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:49pm:
Quote:
re: Folklore

Metaluna: re Shotgun Movie
Quote:
Yeah, kinda like a shotgun wedding.

etc...etc...etc...

Hey, sorry but it was there and I couldn't resist.

I thought the acting wasn't so bad. It did seem very improvish. I was wondering how tightly scripted it was. I think the same group given better material could be much better. I agree with others that it could have made a nice short.

Except the alien twins who seemed not at all alien and very much annoying. I thought the time traveler had potential but...it never really took off. I'm still not sure what to think of the shape shifting spider woman. Undecided

I think another part of the problem is that it's a bit too far afield for a Sci-Fi marathon, it veers too far into fantasy. I know we stretch the definitions and I often don't mind that. But it only works when something is really good. I could see this playing well at Arisia. Maybe.

The only movie of this sort that really seemed to fly was Invasion/Top of the Food Chain. And I honestly can't tell you why that worked when so many others failed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6