WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
ZARDOZ Official Thread (for Ed Symkus) (Read 45826 times)
Nov 11th, 2011 at 11:22pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

In honor of Ed Symkus' fave Marathon film ever. Here is a Den of Geek piece on some of ZARDOZ' oddest bits:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/974998/a_celebration_of_the_strangest_moments_in...

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 12:48pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Wow!  Now heres a movie I havent run in ages.  And, boy, it's berserko.
     Boorman must have been on LSD when he went to work on this one.  I prefer some of his other films: Point Blank, The Emerald Forest, Excalibur.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 7:56am

kirok   Offline
God Member

there's a director commentary on the dvd? this i must get. "at the time i really felt i had no choice here. i had to follow the script. sean would allways be giving me his angry faced 'let's get on with it' look"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:29pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

For the record, ZARDOZ has played the Marathon twice. It was the "new" movie at the very first Marathon (it was about 2 years old at the time of the marathon. Heck, it was the only film on the schedule less than 8 yrs. old. Things have changed, eh?). It also showed back during the Coolidge Corner years at SF/17.
So, nearly two decades - time for a return?

Sean, wake up! The movie ain't over yet........
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2011 at 4:16pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 4:14pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Point Blank, oh yea.  There is one to consider for a future showing at Somerville.  Pair it with Get Carter (and I don't mean the re-make).

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 4:15pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

As for Zardoz, it is so crazy, arrogant and trippy that I think that we should see it again.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:20pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

We need to bring back the Zardoz costume contest.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Caleb451 wrote on Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:20pm:
We need to bring back the Zardoz costume contest.

We never actually held a ZardoZ costume contest. Although -- we have tried to coerce Ed Symkus and Joe Neff into wearing Sean's awesome outfit:

From Left to Right: Ed, Joe & Caleb

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:28pm

Jon   Offline
MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:29pm:
For the record, ZARDOZ has played the Marathon twice. It was the "new" movie at the very first Marathon (it was about 2 years old at the time of the marathon. Heck, it was the only film on the schedule less than 8 yrs. old. Things have changed, eh?). It also showed back during the Coolidge Corner years at SF/17.

Someone help me, please.  I have seen this film twice (that I can remember).  The second time I think I left the hall a few times during its incredibly long running time, but it is a fascinating epic (mind-numbingly silly) production that could only have been made within its own mid-1970s time frame.
Since my film-going windows of opportunity are relatively narrow, I believe I saw the film both times at a Marathon.  I also believe that, since I moved back to Boston in the spring of 1976, I missed BSFFM#1, starting my lengthy affair with the event at #2. 
So, my quandry naturally becomes how I could have started at #2 (missing the first showing of Zardoz) and still have seen it twice.  Could it have been shown at #2 and #17 (in which case my math and memory both work out right)? Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 8:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Well, I did go back and checked my archives of Past Marathon Printed Programs, and ZARDOZ is definately listed as having played at SF/1, and I am witness to it having shown at SF/17 (and have the printed program as well). So, the Filmography is correct on Z. It's possible you saw somewhere else like the Harvard Sq. or the Welles itself.

Here is the Filmography link again: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249/0#0

Jon wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:28pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:29pm:

Someone help me, please.  I have seen this film twice (that I can remember).  The second time I think I left the hall a few times during its incredibly long running time, but it is a fascinating epic (mind-numbingly silly) production that could only have been made within its own mid-1970s time frame.
Since my film-going windows of opportunity are relatively narrow, I believe I saw the film both times at a Marathon.  I also believe that, since I moved back to Boston in the spring of 1976, I missed BSFFM#1, starting my lengthy affair with the event at #2. 
So, my quandry naturally becomes how I could have started at #2 (missing the first showing of Zardoz) and still have seen it twice.  Could it have been shown at #2 and #17 (in which case my math and memory both work out right)? Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:20pm

Metaluna   Offline

Someone help me, please.  I have seen this film twice...

If you tell us where you live maybe we can find you a support group. With help you may still be able to lead a normal life.

Well, maybe normal is too much to expect. But...a life.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 7:12pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I remember one of the guys in my group at SF 17 saying it was the most painful movie of that 'thon.If you do find a support group,let me know and I'll pass it along.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 7:42pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Wait, did someone say ZARDOZ?  That most magical of all magic words that can summon me back to the board?  Well, you all know my thoughts on the matter (c'mon Ed, back me up here...Ed.....Ed?)

The big Z was actually mooted for this past year's Columbus Marathon, but apparently Fox's print that showed in Cleveland several years back is either no longer playable or has been pulled from distribution.  And with Fox's recent announcement to exhibitors that they're phasing out 35mm prints for both new and repertory titles, I wouldn't hold my breath for a new print to materialize.

I did inquire about a possible collector print last year on a programmer's forum I belong to, but the only hit I received was for a print in New Zealand with a mag track soundtrack.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 9:22pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 7:42pm:
I did inquire about a possible collector print last year on a programmer's forum I belong to, but the only hit I received was for a print in New Zealand with a mag track soundtrack.

If all goes well, I should have the equipment to run mag soon!  But the colour on that print will have faded completely, alas.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:14am

Jon   Offline
MA

Metaluna wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:20pm:
Someone help me, please.  I have seen this film twice...

If you tell us where you live maybe we can find you a support group. With help you may still be able to lead a normal life.
Well, maybe normal is too much to expect. But...a life.

Yes.  Thanks so much.  I have heard there is such a group -- it meets on some sort of floating rock.  You can only join the group when it passes overhead, but I've heard they do have a good time.
Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4