WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown this year: STAR TREK FIRST CONTACT, OUTBREAK, DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE, THE INVISIBLE WOMAN, BEYOND THE WASTELAND, INTERSTELLAR, I ROBOT, OMEGA MAN, LASERBLAST, TURKISH STAR WARS, SUPERMAN II: THE DONNER CUT, and LOVE & MONSTERS. Cosmos was booked, but not shown Add your suggestions using the link below. Also, there's a handy link to a filmography of past events. Comments on this year's Selections? (2022) Post here:
Your View on this year's Line-Up?
INFORMATION PAGE for SF/47? Click here
Suggestions for 2023's SF/48? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2023 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Print Report for the Marathon (Read 29939 times)
Reply #30 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 4:30pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 13th, 2020 at 11:25pm:
No way to over ride it if it is 1:85?

Are you serious?  Override it how, exactly?  Can you alter the AR of a DVD or Blu-Ray?
     Theres no extra picture information: you cant pull a plate & show more.  Whatever information is on the transfer, thats all there is.
     Geezuz.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 9:43am

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

what do all these numbers mean?

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 18th, 2022 at 6:13pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Here we go with my 16th Marathon. The insanity continues!

Day the Earth Caught Fire / Laserblast / The Man Who Saved the World / Superman II

All BluRays.

Cosmos

Ya know; I'm not sure right now. Something digital. Probably a BluRay.

The Invisible Woman / Love & Monsters

DCPs.

Star Trek: First Contact
35mm - 2.40 - colour - Dolby SR-D/DTS

Original print in excellent condition. Couple of lab splices; virtually no wear. Should look & sound great. And, yes, we'll be running the DTS tracks, because we can.

The Omega Man
35mm - 2.35 - colour - mono

Heres pleasant surprise: Warner sent us an original IB Technicolor print. Pretty awesome, I have to say. It's in good to very good condition. A line or two here & there, a few splices, some dirt & wear at the heads & tails. Thats nothing for a print this old. And nothing -- repeat: nothing -- looks like Tech!
Amusingly (or alarmingly, depending on your point of view), "The Family" in this movie are dead-ringers for the anti-vaxx, anti-science, anti-fact-based idiots of today, whose stupidity is allowing the pandemic to spiral on & on. Honestly, theres not any daylight between them. Rather clairvoyant of the movie, I must say.

I, Robot

Original print in near mint, virtually unplayed condition. You cant ask for better! And, once again, we will be running the DTS tracks.

Outbreak
35mm - 1.85 - colour - Dolby SR

Original print in very good to excellent condition. Some minor wear, especially at the heads & tails; a splice or two. This movie is a lot of fun, though it doesnt have any anti-vaxxers. Wink

Interstellar
70mm
- 2.21 - colour - DTS 5.1

A combined print: different reels were taken from different prints to give us this one. Some of the reels are flawless, & some have varying types of damage: some speckling, some cinch scratches, some JJ scratches, an emulsion scratch here & there, some wear & dirt, all from lousy operators who dont know what theyre doing.
I'm no Christopher Nolan fan, but I like this movie, in spite of its flaws. And it's actual "science" fiction, as opposed to the titles we usually run. The sound is tremendous, though I do have to reset everything to my "Christopher Nolan Settings" (a real thing) in order to make the dialogue intelligible, an habitual & annoying problem from the plainly stone-cold-deaf Mr Nolan.

And thats it! To those of you attending, please remember my tip jar! I'm not getting any younger, you know! Cheesy

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 8:04am

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

"science" fiction???
can someone tell me how the gravity gradient of the black hole did not rip the space ship and it's contents into confetti?
the absolute limit of solar energy is 1400 watts per square meter. the solar panels on that drone could not possibly run a farm.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 1:41pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Would loved to have been there. But, safety first.
David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 18th, 2022 at 6:13pm:
Here we go with my 16th Marathon. The insanity continues!

Day the Earth Caught Fire / Laserblast / The Man Who Saved the World / Superman II

All BluRays.

Cosmos

Ya know; I'm not sure right now. Something digital. Probably a BluRay.

The Invisible Woman / Love & Monsters

DCPs.

Star Trek: First Contact

Original print in excellent condition. Couple of lab splices; virtually no wear. Should look & sound great. And, yes, we'll be running the DTS tracks, because we can.

The Omega Man
35mm - 2.35 - colour - mono

Heres pleasant surprise: Warner sent us an original IB Technicolor print. Pretty awesome, I have to say. It's in good to very good condition. A line or two here & there, a few splices, some dirt & wear at the heads & tails. Thats nothing for a print this old. And nothing -- repeat: nothing -- looks like Tech!
Amusingly (or alarmingly, depending on your point of view), "The Family" in this movie are dead-ringers for the anti-vaxx, anti-science, anti-fact-based idiots of today, whose stupidity is allowing the pandemic to spiral on & on. Honestly, theres not any daylight between them. Rather clairvoyant of the movie, I must say.

I, Robot

Original print in near mint, virtually unplayed condition. You cant ask for better! And, once again, we will be running the DTS tracks.

Outbreak
35mm - 1.85 - colour - Dolby SR

Original print in very good to excellent condition. Some minor wear, especially at the heads & tails; a splice or two. This movie is a lot of fun, though it doesnt have any anti-vaxxers. Wink

Interstellar
70mm
- 2.21 - colour - DTS 5.1

A combined print: different reels were taken from different prints to give us this one. Some of the reels are flawless, & some have varying types of damage: some speckling, some cinch scratches, some JJ scratches, an emulsion scratch here & there, some wear & dirt, all from lousy operators who dont know what theyre doing.
I'm no Christopher Nolan fan, but I like this movie, in spite of its flaws. And it's actual "science" fiction, as opposed to the titles we usually run. The sound is tremendous, though I do have to reset everything to my "Christopher Nolan Settings" (a real thing) in order to make the dialogue intelligible, an habitual & annoying problem from the plainly stone-cold-deaf Mr Nolan.

And thats it! To those of you attending, please remember my tip jar! I'm not getting any younger, you know! Cheesy

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2022 at 4:05pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3