WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Print Report for the Marathon (Read 36901 times)
Reply #30 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 4:30pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 13th, 2020 at 11:25pm:
No way to over ride it if it is 1:85?

Are you serious?  Override it how, exactly?  Can you alter the AR of a DVD or Blu-Ray?
     Theres no extra picture information: you cant pull a plate & show more.  Whatever information is on the transfer, thats all there is.
     Geezuz.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 9:43am

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

what do all these numbers mean?

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 18th, 2022 at 6:13pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Here we go with my 16th Marathon.  The insanity continues!

Day the Earth Caught Fire / Laserblast / The Man Who Saved the World / Superman II

All BluRays.

Cosmos

Ya know; I'm not sure right now.  Something digital.  Probably a BluRay.

The Invisible Woman / Love & Monsters

DCPs.

Star Trek: First Contact
35mm - 2.40 - colour - Dolby SR-D/DTS

Original print in excellent condition.  Couple of lab splices; virtually no wear.  Should look & sound great.  And, yes, we'll be running the DTS tracks, because we can.

The Omega Man
35mm - 2.35 - colour - mono

Heres pleasant surprise: Warner sent us an original IB Technicolor print.  Pretty awesome, I have to say.  It's in good to very good condition.  A line or two here & there, a few splices, some dirt & wear at the heads & tails.  Thats nothing for a print this old.  And nothing -- repeat: nothing -- looks like Tech!
     Amusingly (or alarmingly, depending on your point of view), "The Family" in this movie are dead-ringers for the anti-vaxx, anti-science, anti-fact-based idiots of today, whose stupidity is allowing the pandemic to spiral on & on.  Honestly, theres not any daylight between them.  Rather clairvoyant of the movie, I must say.

I, Robot

Original print in near mint, virtually unplayed condition.  You cant ask for better!  And, once again, we will be running the DTS tracks.

Outbreak
35mm - 1.85 - colour - Dolby SR

Original print in very good to excellent condition.  Some minor wear, especially at the heads & tails; a splice or two.  This movie is a lot of fun, though it doesnt have any anti-vaxxers.   Wink

Interstellar
70mm
- 2.21 - colour - DTS 5.1

A combined print: different reels were taken from different prints to give us this one.  Some of the reels are flawless, & some have varying types of damage: some speckling, some cinch scratches, some JJ scratches, an emulsion scratch here & there, some wear & dirt, all from lousy operators who dont know what theyre doing.
     I'm no Christopher Nolan fan, but I like this movie, in spite of its flaws.  And it's actual "science" fiction, as opposed to the titles we usually run.  The sound is tremendous, though I do have to reset everything to my "Christopher Nolan Settings" (a real thing) in order to make the dialogue intelligible, an habitual & annoying problem from the plainly stone-cold-deaf Mr Nolan.

And thats it!  To those of you attending, please remember my tip jar!  I'm not getting any younger, you know!   Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 8:04am

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

"science" fiction???
can someone tell me how the gravity gradient of the black hole did not rip the space ship and it's contents into confetti?
the absolute limit of solar energy is 1400 watts per square meter. the solar panels on that drone could not possibly run a farm.

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 1:41pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Would loved to have been there. But, safety first.
David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 18th, 2022 at 6:13pm:
     Here we go with my 16th Marathon.  The insanity continues!

Day the Earth Caught Fire / Laserblast / The Man Who Saved the World / Superman II

All BluRays.

Cosmos

Ya know; I'm not sure right now.  Something digital.  Probably a BluRay.

The Invisible Woman / Love & Monsters

DCPs.

Star Trek: First Contact

Original print in excellent condition.  Couple of lab splices; virtually no wear.  Should look & sound great.  And, yes, we'll be running the DTS tracks, because we can.

The Omega Man
35mm - 2.35 - colour - mono

Heres pleasant surprise: Warner sent us an original IB Technicolor print.  Pretty awesome, I have to say.  It's in good to very good condition.  A line or two here & there, a few splices, some dirt & wear at the heads & tails.  Thats nothing for a print this old.  And nothing -- repeat: nothing -- looks like Tech!
     Amusingly (or alarmingly, depending on your point of view), "The Family" in this movie are dead-ringers for the anti-vaxx, anti-science, anti-fact-based idiots of today, whose stupidity is allowing the pandemic to spiral on & on.  Honestly, theres not any daylight between them.  Rather clairvoyant of the movie, I must say.

I, Robot

Original print in near mint, virtually unplayed condition.  You cant ask for better!  And, once again, we will be running the DTS tracks.

Outbreak
35mm - 1.85 - colour - Dolby SR

Original print in very good to excellent condition.  Some minor wear, especially at the heads & tails; a splice or two.  This movie is a lot of fun, though it doesnt have any anti-vaxxers.   Wink

Interstellar
70mm
- 2.21 - colour - DTS 5.1

A combined print: different reels were taken from different prints to give us this one.  Some of the reels are flawless, & some have varying types of damage: some speckling, some cinch scratches, some JJ scratches, an emulsion scratch here & there, some wear & dirt, all from lousy operators who dont know what theyre doing.
     I'm no Christopher Nolan fan, but I like this movie, in spite of its flaws.  And it's actual "science" fiction, as opposed to the titles we usually run.  The sound is tremendous, though I do have to reset everything to my "Christopher Nolan Settings" (a real thing) in order to make the dialogue intelligible, an habitual & annoying problem from the plainly stone-cold-deaf Mr Nolan.

And thats it!  To those of you attending, please remember my tip jar!  I'm not getting any younger, you know!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2022 at 4:05pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2023 at 10:42pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Believe it or not, this will be the 17th marathon that Ive projected.  Remember that when you see my tip jar!
     So here we go, once again, with the print report.

After Yang / Godzilla / Total Recall

All DCPs.

Happy Accidents / Beyond the Time Barrier

DVDs.

Bill & Ted Face the Music / La Jetee

BluRays.

Now we get to the actual film.

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

35mm - 2.35 - "colour" - mono

Print is a British strike, on undated Agfa.  Looks nice and sharp, but the colour has warmed over the years.  Fortunately, Agfa never fades down to complete red, so theres still some colour peeping through, so it wont be too bad.  Still, theres no denying the colour has turned.
     Standard wear at the heads & tails, as well as a few scattered splices.  Overall, it's in good condition.
     The third in the original Apes series, & a lot of fun!  One of the things I like about all these movies is the misanthropic "humans suck" message that ran through them.  And it has a terrific Jerry Goldsmith score!

Stargate

35mm - 2.35 - colour - Dolby A/DTS

1994 print in good to very good condition.  Standard wear at the heads & tails, but nothing to complain about.  And, of course, I got hold of the DTS files & thats how we'll run it, because we can.   Cheesy

Alien

35mm - 2.35 - "colour" - Dolby A

A movie that needs no introduction to this crowd.  This is a combined print, with different reels coming from different prints.
     So, reels 1/2/4/5/7 are on 1979 Kodak stock & have just about completely gone to red.  Theres some colour here & there, but not much.
     Reels 3 & 6 are on 1977 Fuji stock, which, at the time, held its colour very well.  Those reels look much better in terms of colour.
     The print is fairly beat up.  Theres wear & dirt & some scratches, as well as some splices.  Overall good condition (thats not high praise).  On the plus side: this also has a terrific Jerry Goldsmith score!
     And, just to date myself, I ran this sucker in 70mm at the Charles Theatre when it came out.  Scary, right?

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

This 2003 print is in virtually new, barely-run condition.  A bit of dirt here & there, & thats it.  It looks fantastic on screen.  And (of course) we'll be running the DTS tracks, which will absolutely kick your ass.
     Because my opinions tend to run counter to everyone else's, I'll say here that this is my favourite of the Terminator movies.....something most people regard as blasphemous.  Nevertheless, there you are.  This thing moves, and it moves without ponderous messages about nuclear annihilation & clumsy attempts to be "meaningful."  The demolition derby car chase is one of the best Ive ever seen (in case you didnt know: they built the streets & blocks that get completely wrecked); the fight between the two terminators is awesome in its destruction, & the whole thing is just great fun.
     Plus, with this print, you will not see (or hear) it better!

UFOria

35mm - 1.85 - colour - mono

1984 print in very good to excellent condition.  Theres some dirt scattered throughout, but thats pretty much it.

Future Kill

35mm - 1.85 - colour - mono

On 1985 Fuji.  Wear throughout, though the movie is so dark youll barely notice.  Some scratches here & there, & some dirt, especially at the heads & tails.

There are, in this strange world of ours, some superb movies that have unjustly fallen into obscurity.  These two, however, have fallen off the map because they just arent any good.
     UFOria is one of the strangest films Ive ever seen: it seems to have no idea what it's about or where it's going, which is probably why it sat on the shelf for years.  It reminds of that movie we ran at SF/38, Safety not Guaranteed, only it's even stranger than that one (and it came before).
     Future Kill I couldnt even get through.  Wow, you talk about a dated, incoherent mess.  Yeesh.
     Have fun with these, folks!   Cheesy

Back to the Future Part 2

70mm
- 1.85 - colour - Six channel mag sound with Dolby A NR

The last surviving/existing 70mm print of this in the world is in overall very good to excellent condition.  It dates from 1989.  There are some hairline scratches down the middle that come & go, as well as some minor wear.  This is nothing to fuss over.  It looks & sounds great!
     And, once more for good luck: you aint ever going to see it better!

And thats it once again!  Prepare yourselves!
     And dont forget the tip jar!  How many other geezers do you know who can project 24 hours' worth of movies in varying formats & not screw up too much?   Huh

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 9:20pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Here we go with number 18 for me!  Think of my age, & then think of my tip jar!

Mad Max / Predestination / Upgrade / Dredd

All DCPs.

Attack of the Crab Monsters / Top of the Food Chain / Duck Dodgers / Surprise

DVDs.

Blast from the Past / Lapsis

BluRays.

And heeeeeeeeeeeeeres the almost non-existent film prints!

The Matrix

Original print is good to very good to excellent condition (depending on the reel).  Some wear and some scratches, but pretty nice overall.
     And, of course, we'll be running the DTS tracks, because we can.

Deep Blue Sea

35mm - 2.40 - colour - Dolby SR-d

In nearly new condition (unfortunately, because this movie is a stinker).

One Million Years BC

35mm - 1.85 - IB Technicolor (mostly) - mono

Well, this one was so complicated that itll be easier for me to explain on stage, but, quickly, it's mostly, though not completely, a British-struck original Tech print with SP replacement footage spliced in.  In overall moderate condition: some wear and scratches and dirt.
     For a print this old, thats par for the course.

Ready Player One

70mm
- 2.21 - colour - DTS

In very nearly unrun condition.  Some minor wear, & thats all.

And there we go, folks!  See you at the show!   Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 9:46pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thank you, David!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3