WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Twilight (for 35mm film) (Read 112718 times)
Reply #105 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 1:11am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:52pm:
Oh, there are TONS of articles and posts out there from folks who talk about "perfect images", "rock steady frames", "no scratches" and the like.

These are, again, the lies they have all settled on.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #106 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 11:28pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

All praise to Christopher Nolan. He hates 3-D and hasn't bought the kool-aid about the ripoff and sham that is Digital. 35MM film will live as long as folks like Nolan still have pull. http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-nolan-great-gatsby-worked-3d-isnt/

IP Logged

Reply #107 - May 23rd, 2014 at 10:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hardly the biggest QT fan, but I heartily endorse this quote: "Why would an established film-maker shoot on digital? I have no futting idea at all," Tarantino said. "Digital projection is death of cinema as I know it. It's television in public. The fact that most films aren't presented in 35mm means the war is already lost. I'm hopeful that we're going through a woozy, romantic period for the ease of digital. I'm hoping the next generation will have more sense and realise what they've lost."

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/23/quentin-tarantino-django-unchained-t...

IP Logged

Reply #108 - May 23rd, 2014 at 10:32pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #109 - May 25th, 2014 at 11:39am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

You may not like his films, but at least Tarantino is on our side in the d vs. film arena.
David the Projectionist wrote on May 23rd, 2014 at 10:32pm:

IP Logged

Reply #110 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 10:09am

kirok   Offline
God Member

what about the fact that 35mm will be projected with multiple defects such as scratches, skips and the inevitable mechanical jam which leads to on screen incineration. digital eliminates these at some cost. it's a trade off. and i have faith that the defects in digital can be circumvented. perhaps a neuro implant to process the visual information.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #111 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 3:08pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

If one needs a neuro implant to process any sort of  information, I doubt that the quality of visual media would be your first concern.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #112 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Of course you are buying in the lie line of the digital apolgists enthusiasts that digital is 'perfect'. Guess you've never seen a digitally projected image freeze up or become so pixillated that it looks like hell. Or one where a "mechanical" or digital flaw in the DCP doesn't allow for the movie to even be shown AT ALL (I've been to two such where they had to cancel the screening). And, just yesterday I attended a digital screening where the projector keep flashing throughout the full two hours.

So much for the alleged 'perfection'.

kirok wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 10:09am:
what about the fact that 35mm will be projected with multiple defects such as scratches, skips and the inevitable mechanical jam which leads to on screen incineration. digital eliminates these at some cost. it's a trade off. and i have faith that the defects in digital can be circumvented. perhaps a neuro implant to process the visual information.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:10pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #113 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 9:24am

kirok   Offline
God Member

the neuro implant could make you unconcerned.

pogo wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 3:08pm:
If one needs a neuro implant to process any sort of  information, I doubt that the quality of visual media would be your first concern.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #114 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 9:27am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i didn't say digital was perfect. i said let's not ignore the flaws of analog. there is a tradeoff

L.A. Connection wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:08pm:
Of course you are buying in the lie line of the digital apolgists enthusiasts that digital is 'perfect'. Guess you've never seen a digitally projected image freeze up or become so pixillated that it looks like hell. Or one where a "mechanical" or digital flaw in the DCP doesn't allow for the movie to even be shown AT ALL (I've been to two such where they had to cancel the screening). And, just yesterday I attended a digital screening where the projector keep flashing throughout the full two hours.

So much for the alleged 'perfection'.

kirok wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 10:09am:

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #115 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 8:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

K: You may not have used the word 'perfect', but the digiheads make is sound like the technology is. Especially compared to old fuddy duddy analog.

1. Even a digital 'print' is still a copy. Things can go wrong from the file stage to the theater to the projector.

2. There's a bulb in a digital projector, too. All this talk about dingy 35mm projection because of dim bulbs isn't going away.

3. A projector is still a electro-mechanical object. It can break-down or malfunction as well. (and, because there was over 100 years of tried and true technology behind film projection, there were easy repairs and work-arounds that could be accomplished in the projection booth. A digital projector or DCP fails, and, it can be the end of showings for that day (or days if the failure happens on a holiday weekend)

The myth of Digital as a perfect delivery system is just that - A Myth.

IP Logged

Reply #116 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 8:25pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I think I'll just leave this link to director William Friedkin talking about 35mm film here and head for the shelter.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/william-friedkin-says-studios-make-great-filmmak...

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #117 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 9:51pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Obviously, Freidkin hasn't taken my Black Test or he'd know Digital still has a long way to go. And, he's obviously going deaf at his old age if he thinks CD's are "perfect" compared to a properly recorded and played back analog source.

And, more seriously, at Friedkin's point in his career, he'd do a movie on VHS tape if it means he can get a project even made.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jun 25th, 2014 at 8:25pm:
I think I'll just leave this link to director William Friedkin talking about 35mm film here and head for the shelter.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/william-friedkin-says-studios-make-great-filmmak...

IP Logged

Reply #118 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 2:15am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

If I may, perhaps we should also consider that on the wider scale of motion picture presentation, digital projection is still in its infancy. Of course it isn't perfect, and it never will be. No format, including 35mm, is and ever could be. There will always be mistakes and limitations.

However, film projection grew and evolved over time in many ways that enhanced the movie-viewing experience; the inclusion of soundtracks to film prints, the development of color, the adoption of cinemascope, the innovations of 70mm and IMAX.

Who's to say digital can't follow the same route? Perhaps over time, those problems involving black levels and sharpness can be resolved. We've certainly seen advances in digital cameras allowing the look of digitally-shot productions to approach the high level of quality we associate with film. We may look back on this period in the far future and be stunned at advances that digital projection has made over film projection.

It's also worth noting the opportunities that digital shooting, and as a consequence, digital projection offer independent filmmakers today. Twenty years ago, an aspiring director hoping to get a movie shown at a festival for distribution wouldn't get anywhere unless he or she had the cash to have a print made for exhibition. Now, there are fewer barriers between the filmmaker and the chance to have their movie shown on a proper movie screen.

I certainly worry over the end of film for the sake of movies that probably won't get the kind of digital restoration necessary for theatrical exhibition, the kind of movies that so often get shown at the 'Thon. For the sake of those titles, film projection will probably be the only way many will get screened and I hope there's always a place for it.

But for those movies yet to be shot, perhaps we should be a bit patient with the technology. Transitions are always painful, particularly for those whose livelihood is bound up in the old model but it does no one any good to curse the future while it's still forming. After all, if we never made room for new innovations, we'd still be watching silent movies.

IP Logged

Reply #119 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 12:59pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

No doubt a fair take. But, the big "IF" is whether the industry will strive for better projection if the general public (and even clueless folks like William 'Oscar Winning' Freidkin) already think digital is "perfect".

It took decades for CD's to really improve. Sadly, by that time, they were overtaken by MP3's which are even worse (far worse) than early CDs! Music, while more portable than ever, is also the worst-sounding it has been since the 'groove-cramming' and cheapo-grade vinyl days of the late 70s-Early 80s.

If folks don't fight back, digital projection will get worse, not better. Theaters are already experimenting with digital streaming and Blu Ray projection in theaters. Fathom Events broadcasts crappy TCM-cable level events into movie theaters and charges $10 for the privilige.

As to the ease of use for new filmmakers. Great. But, the glut is getting pretty overwhelming, too. 

UncleTim wrote on Jun 29th, 2014 at 2:15am:
If I may, perhaps we should also consider that on the wider scale of motion picture presentation, digital projection is still in its infancy. Of course it isn't perfect, and it never will be. No format, including 35mm, is and ever could be. There will always be mistakes and limitations.

However, film projection grew and evolved over time in many ways that enhanced the movie-viewing experience; the inclusion of soundtracks to film prints, the development of color, the adoption of cinemascope, the innovations of 70mm and IMAX.

Who's to say digital can't follow the same route? Perhaps over time, those problems involving black levels and sharpness can be resolved. We've certainly seen advances in digital cameras allowing the look of digitally-shot productions to approach the high level of quality we associate with film. We may look back on this period in the far future and be stunned at advances that digital projection has made over film projection.

It's also worth noting the opportunities that digital shooting, and as a consequence, digital projection offer independent filmmakers today. Twenty years ago, an aspiring director hoping to get a movie shown at a festival for distribution wouldn't get anywhere unless he or she had the cash to have a print made for exhibition. Now, there are fewer barriers between the filmmaker and the chance to have their movie shown on a proper movie screen.

I certainly worry over the end of film for the sake of movies that probably won't get the kind of digital restoration necessary for theatrical exhibition, the kind of movies that so often get shown at the 'Thon. For the sake of those titles, film projection will probably be the only way many will get screened and I hope there's always a place for it.

But for those movies yet to be shot, perhaps we should be a bit patient with the technology. Transitions are always painful, particularly for those whose livelihood is bound up in the old model but it does no one any good to curse the future while it's still forming. After all, if we never made room for new innovations, we'd still be watching silent movies.

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2014 at 4:57pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9