WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Break Music Thread (Read 115814 times)
Reply #30 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 12:07pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
don't forget about bill shatner's recent album. he covers space truckin, space oddity and many more.

I may be angry about the quiz thread being hijacked but I'm not THAT angry. William Shatner songs two years in a row! What would the 'thoners have to do to deserve that kind of punishment. That would be like running a made-for-TV space opera from the '70's and then the next year...oh never mind.

Truth be known, I'm actually excited about the whole lineup including "Gallactica II". In fact, there's nothing I would sleep or eat through without somehow thinking that I had missed something. Or, in the words of Gallactica II costar Lloyd Bridges:

"It looks like I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines."

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:33pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Well since the villain in Robot looks like Elvis and there are multiple copies of him, how bout Mojo Nixon's "Elvis is Everywhere"?
Oingo Boingo's "Weird Science" for Frankenstein.
Devo's "Jocko Homo" (are we not men, we are Devo) for Dr Moreau.
And Boomtown Rats "Up All Night" as opening theme music for the thon itself.

And as always, I'd like to request "Happy Trails to You" by Roy Rogers as part of the closing marathon music.
We'll Meet Again was great too.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 8:10am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Da Bunnyman suggests:
Quote:
Well since the villain in Robot looks like Elvis and there are multiple copies of him, how bout Mojo Nixon's "Elvis is Everywhere"?

Quote:
Devo's "Jocko Homo"* (are we not men, we are Devo) for Dr Moreau.

Two steps ahead of you! Both tunes are already in the playlist, as well as songs by the Killers and Elvis Costello for the highly anticipated Indian Robot.  I have to admire the intelligence of anybody who thinks like I do!   Smiley

Quote:
And as always, I'd like to request "Happy Trails to You"

Here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5CUg4lNOlI
Roy Rogers like you've never heard him before! Wink

It might be best to make suggestions in a PM so that the music titles aren't given away.

*See my Jan. 23rd post on this thread

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 8:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Appo-poly-loggies from your long-suffering narrator for being short with many of you, as I had a splitting headache which woke me up at 04:00 on sunday. This is not a good way to start the 'thon.

We knew the schedule was going to be tight and that most of the planned music would never get a shot at the big time. The legion of unused titles listed here remain in our [reserve] playlist in the hope of gracing future 'thons.

PRE-SHOW MUSIC: Just Didn't Happen. We arrived at 09:30 Minutes before everybody else was let in. Streaming music to the theater speakers failed, as it later would to DVD projection audio on DIMENSIONS and FOLKLORE. By the time the front-row hair-parting speakers were set up it was almost showtime. ["Great Balls Of Fire"-Jerry Lee Lewis and many others!]

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES-"Too Many Monkeys!" "Gorilla You're a Desperado" -Warren Zevon  "You Look Like a Gorilla" -Ookla the Mook. [Reserve: "The Monkey Song" -Harry Belafonte]

BRAINSTORM: "If You Could Read My Mind" -Gordon Lightfoot cover by Matthew Sweet "Your Picture in My Mind" ["In Dreams" -Roy Orbison]

WAR OF THE SATELLITES: "Satellite of Love"-Dave Matthews and "Watching the Satellites" -the Flaming Lips  [Reserve: "It Ain't Me Babe" -Bob Dylan]

THE ROBOT ENDHIRAN: "Are We Human (or Are We Dancers)" [Reserve: "Elvis is Everywhere" Mojo Nixon, "Miracle Man" -Elvis Costello]

"Leave Your Hat On" Karaoke vers. was used for the tinfoil hat contest.

DIMENSIONS: "Dave's Not Here Man" -Cheech and Chong (impromptu)

ATTACK THE BLOCK: "Brixton's Guns -the Clash (Thanx LA) "We Will Rock You" -Jamaica Soundsystem cover of Queen [Anarchy in the UK-Sex Pistols]

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS:  [ "Jocko Homo (Are We Not Men?)" -DEVO "Walk Like a Man" -the Four Seasons, "House of Pain"-Deep Purple]

SCANNERS: "I Thought I Heard My Head Explode!"-Matt Keating ["I guess I just Lost My Head", "I'm Burning For You"]

FRANKENSTEIN: "Puttin On The Ritz" -Gene Wilder/Peter Boyle er, uh cover. "Frankenstein" -Aimee Mann, [ "In Just Seven Days I Can Make You a Man" -Rocky Horror]

RE-ANIMATOR: "I Ain't Got No-body"-1928 Jazz vers.  "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" -Paul Anka, "I Go to Pieces"

COWBOY BEBOP: THE MOVIE:: "What's Goin On? -Marvin Gaye " "Boom Boom Boom" -John Lee Hooker

...............Break music ended afer this due to time constraints...................

PAUL: ["Alien Song" -Rasputina, "Feeling Like An Alien"-Antlanta Rhythm Section "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"]

An al-time-GREAT 'thon thanks to all involved even if they just showded up to help make it the worlds-best sleepover party! Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 9:32am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i vote for longer breaks.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 10:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Feb 21st, 2012 at 9:32am:
i vote for longer breaks.

Me too, I miss hearing more from Major Tom too.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 10:55pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Longer breaks would be nice.  I could reconnect with my marathon family.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 3:18pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

One of the ideas mrs. F and I have been waiting for a chance to explore:

The Somerville opens its doors early, thus providing a bonus of settling-in and getting face time with fellow 'thoners. Yay Somerville!  Unfortunately, the pre-marathon music has been limited due to a lack of equipment until almost the last minute. If we ever did find a way to have the music up and running as soon as the crowd takes their seats, a great entertainment option exists.

The Internet Archive* has a wealth of public domain old time radio programs, many of them science fiction, that could be aired during the 45 minutes or so before the first fireball is dropped.

Submitted for your approval:
"X-Minus 1" from the 50's
http://archive.org/details/XMinus1_A

"A Princess of Mars" and "Gods of Mars" from Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter series:
http://archive.org/details/princess_mars_0810_librivox
http://archive.org/details/gods_of_mars_librivox

The CBS Suspense series:
One of the titles is "Demonlover"** With a title like that you know it has to be good! Wink
http://archive.org/details/otr_cbsradiomysterytheater

Not forgetting the MLO, there is of course, Orson Welles' iconic "War of the Worlds"

Does this appeal to anyone, or is the preference for the traditonal instrumental music?

*The archives also has quite a few streaming movies dating back to the silent era, including "Flash Gordon" the elusive "Things to Come"
http://archive.org/details/ClaCinOnl_ThingsToCome  which I've avoided watching it in hopes that it may yet one day grace the Somerville screen.

**actually it is! -RF

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:24pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

This Baseball DJ is my kind of guy! -RF

Baseball DJ Ejected

The home plate umpire for Wednesday's Daytona Cubs-Fort Myers Miracle game may have been figuratively "blind," but he wasn't experiencing any problems with his hearing.

It led to one of the funnier scenes we'll see from a minor-league game all season as umpire Mario Seneca took immediate objection to hearing "Three Blind Mice" playing after he had made a questionable call at Daytona's Jackie Robinson Ballpark. The umpire wheeled around and motioned to the press box that Derek Dye — a DJ intern on summer break from the University of Illinois — was getting the old heave-ho.

see full article and video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/minor-league-dj-ejected-game-p... Grin

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:28pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Saw that story.

Maybe we can run that song if we ever have a Premiere like FOLKLORE again! Although, I'm sure there would be many OTHER suggestions...............

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

R_F_Fineman wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 6:24pm:
This Baseball DJ is my kind of guy! -RF

Baseball DJ Ejected

The home plate umpire for Wednesday's Daytona Cubs-Fort Myers Miracle game may have been figuratively "blind," but he wasn't experiencing any problems with his hearing.

It led to one of the funnier scenes we'll see from a minor-league game all season as umpire Mario Seneca took immediate objection to hearing "Three Blind Mice" playing after he had made a questionable call at Daytona's Jackie Robinson Ballpark. The umpire wheeled around and motioned to the press box that Derek Dye — a DJ intern on summer break from the University of Illinois — was getting the old heave-ho.

see full article and video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/minor-league-dj-ejected-game-p... Grin

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:49am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Incredible Shrinking Man" starring Rhubarb the cat and a bunch of two legged actors with fewer awards!

I'm thinking a Tom Jones number plus Randy Newman and Stone Temple Pilots on that one.

"Fifth Element" has me leaning toward numbers by Rick James, The Beatles and Matthew Sweet.

The Japanese "Hunger Games" type film will take a little more research but with possible songs like Queen's "She's a Killer" makes it too look like a good music fit! Smiley

I have a feeling that this is going to be a big year. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:55am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

One Marathoner I know, used to call the main theme from THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, "The Incredible DRINKING Man"! It kind of sounds that way if you are...uh...under the influence.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 5:10am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The Break Music Database is working pretty well. To get music to match movies that mrs. F or I have already seen, we enter keywords that match song titles, lyrics or refrains. "The Fifth Element" and "The Incredible Shrinking Man" were slam-dunks for the BMDb.

---Music Spoiler Alert---

"All you Need is Love" -The Beatles
"Super Freak" -Rick James
"Does She Talk?" -Matthew Sweet

and

"Creep (Half the Man I Used to Be)" -Stone Temple Pilots Orig.
"What's New Pussycat" -Tom Jones
"Short People" -Randy Newman

The real challenge is finding music for movies that we have not seen, like "Battle Royal". Fortunately the IMDb provided some pretty tantalizing keywords, many suggesting comic, gruesome, violent, murders among schoolkids on a remote island. (We suggested "Black Sheep" so we're up for this one!)

The queries produced plenty of good choices. I'm leaning toward:

"Finished with Finishing School", The Upper Crust
"She's a Killer", Queen
"I Guess I Just Lost My Head", Karen Carpenter

Other promising candidates:

"(What's so Funny About) Peace Love and Understanding", Elvis Costello
"Die Die Die" or "I'm Not a Killer", Evil Dead Soundtrack
"Kung Fu Fighting", Fatboy Slim cover of Karl Douglas
"Fixin' to Die", Colonel Bruce Hampton
"I Don't Like Mondays", Boomtown Rats or Tori Amos
"Death or Glory", The Clash
"Hanging With My Friends", Nickelback

Help Build the Database!
If you hear a new indie or a golden oldie that has a song with keyword potential, please PM me with the title, artist and keyword and I'll  give it a listen and add it to the database.

For example:
I stumbled across composer/musician Jonathan Coulton recently. He has a song "Red Shirt" with Star Trek, death, casualty, as a potential keywords.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90oZSY9M-s

He also has a song "Code Monkey" with computer, technology, office worker potential keywords.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhV4mSn1jrY&list=PL2CDE14F2DA627DF3&index=4

Another delightful ditty "re. Your Brains" has zombie, apocalypse keyword potential.

Given that many of his titles have sci-fi/horror/fantsy lyrics, the guy's a gold mine! Know any more artists like this? Pass 'em on.
ps. LA: I actually LIKE the Drinking Shrinking Man soundtrack and plan to use it for the pre-thon medley. Thanks for the link. Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 10:26pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Phase IV
I'll admit I didn't have a lot of ant songs in the BMDb but that glaring shortcoming has been corrected.

--SPOILER ALERT--

Here's what I've got:

Ants in Your Pants -Jim Henson vers.

Army Ant Song -Tom Waits vers. from Orphans

High Hopes -Frank Sinatra and children

Any thoughts?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 11:56pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Tough choices so far on films.
I'd vote for High Hopes for Phase IV.
Only thoughts I had for Shrinking Man might be Particle Man by They Might Be Giants.

And once again I'm suggesting/requesting Up All Night by Boomtown Rats for pre-marathon music and Happy trails To You by Roy Rogers for an exit tune

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10