WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
other MARATHONS & FESTIVALS (Read 88568 times)
Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:41pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Our Ohio brethren had their Horror Film Marathon this weekend. Here is their recap thread:

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1260

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 5th, 2012 at 6:37pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ohio is gearing up for their slightly belated SF Marathon on May 19-20. 

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1348

They have a partial list up including a couple that Boston screened in February. Here's what's booked so far:

*A tribute to the ultra-prolific Japanese director Kinji Fukasaku, featuring his controversial, long banned on these shores 2000 epic BATTLE ROYALE and the rarely screened, psychedelically candy-colored 1968 monsterfest THE GREEN SLIME!

*Wrestling legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper in John Carpenter’s oft-requested “just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not after you” actioner THEY LIVE!

*Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood (in her final screen role) in Douglas Trumbull’s visionary virtual reality mindbender BRAINSTORM!

*A rare starring role for the Danish military(!) in 1961’s giant reptile extravaganza REPTILICUS!

*THE CREEPING UNKNOWN (a.k.a THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT), one of the finest examples of classic British sci-fi.

*Aliens vs. teen thugs in 2011’s cult hit ATTACK THE BLOCK!

*Electro-pioneers Daft Punk in their surreal 2006 feature debut ELECTROMA!

*Hunky Jake Gyllenhaal in Duncan (MOON) Jones’s time travel thriller SOURCE CODE!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2012 at 6:46am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Ohio is gearing up for their slightly belated SF Marathon on May 19-20. 

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1348

"Way to Go Ohio!" -Chrissie Hynde

Just to be sure, this is Bruce Bartoo's Marathon in Columbus and not the Case Western U in Cleveland. That one's just before ours. Have I got that right? I have to make that pilgrimage one day. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2012 at 12:44pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It's our Ohio sister 'thon in Columbus. Their 25th Anniversary.

Incidentally, the "print" of GREEN SLIME is a regular DVD, unfortunately. Believe me, Bruce, I and others have searched for decades to secure a 35mm print - and, they just don't seem to exist. About a year or two ago, I tracked down a print I read about showing at a comic con. I knew the print owner and got him on the phone. Not only was it 16mm, it was a pan and scan TV print. Oh, well.

But, hey, it DOES have one of the great theme songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GbG4dRM4eo

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2012 at 12:52pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

London Film Festival announces news to some, deja vu to Boston Marathoids:

Quote:
New Dimensions to Sci Fi London

Friday 4 May 2012 11.30 EDT
Among the highlights of this year's festival is a period drama with a time-travel twist. Think Merchant Ivory, only steampunk

The annual Sci Fi London festival, which is running until Monday at several venues in the capital, always throws up more than its fair share of offbeat genre treats. One of this year's highlights is a period brainteaser with an intriguing time-travel twist that has already picked up awards from the Boston science fiction film festival and the London independent film festival. Dimensions: A Line, A Loop, A Tangle of Threads also benefits from a plucky backstory surrounding its husband-and-wife creative team. Director Sloane U'Ren and writer/composer Ant Neely sold their Twickenham home to help finance the tiny £180,000 budget, and most of the film is shot at the riverside Cambridgeshire home of Neely's brother.

Dimensions
Directors: Sloane U'Ren
Cast: Camilla Rutherford, Henry Lloyd-Hughes, Olivia Llewellyn, Patrick Godfrey, Sean Heart
More on this film

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/may/04/dimensions-sci-fi-london

"Dimensions"  Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2012 at 11:35am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Looks like the Ohio lineup is pretty close to completion. Here' their latest update release:

*See the cheese-tastic retrograde dystopian future of Steve Kostanski's MANBORG!  Cyborgs!  Vampires!  Demons!  Nazis!  Nazi Vampires!  Production values spanning decades!  Someone I've never heard of says, "To put it simply this movie was a total blast."  Someone else I've never heard of says, "Man-what now?"

*Explore the solitude of interplanetary travel with Eric Hayden's critically acclaimed THE LAST PUSH!

*Witness the man who started it all - William Shatner, as he interviews captains from six different incarnations of the classic Star Trek lineage in the brand new documentary, THE CAPTAINS!

*A tribute to the ultra-prolific Japanese director Kinji Fukasaku, featuring his controversial, long banned on these shores 2000 epic BATTLE ROYALE and the rarely screened, psychedelically candy-colored 1968 monsterfest THE GREEN SLIME!

*Wrestling legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper in John Carpenter’s oft-requested “just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not after you” actioner THEY LIVE!

*Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood (in her final screen role) in Douglas Trumbull’s visionary virtual reality mindbender BRAINSTORM!

*A rare starring role for the Danish military(!) in 1961’s giant reptile extravaganza REPTILICUS!

*THE CREEPING UNKNOWN (a.k.a THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT), one of the finest examples of classic British sci-fi.

*Aliens vs. teen thugs in 2011’s cult hit ATTACK THE BLOCK!

*Electro-pioneers Daft Punk in their surreal 2006 feature debut ELECTROMA!

*Hunky Jake Gyllenhaal in Duncan (MOON) Jones’s time travel thriller SOURCE CODE!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2012 at 9:19am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Today is the day. Wish I could be there. Slight change to the schedule. They lost THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (aka ENEMY FROM SPACE) due to print issues. It is replaced by the WAR OF THE SATELLITES print we showed in Feb.

Have a good time, Ohio brethren!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2012 at 3:37pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 9:19am:
Today is the day. Wish I could be there. Slight change to the schedule. They lost THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (aka ENEMY FROM SPACE) due to print issues. It is replaced by the WAR OF THE SATELLITES print we showed in Feb.

Have a good time, Ohio brethren!

errrr.........The Quatermass Xperiment and Enemy from Space are two different movies.  The Quatermass Xperiment is known here as The Creeping Unknown.  Quatermass 2 is known as Enemy From Space.  Geez...... some people....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2012 at 7:17pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Twitters (or Internet searchers) can follow along with a couple of our Ohio Marathoners at this hashtag: #marathon29

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2012 at 11:07pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 7:17pm:
Twitters (or Internet searchers) can follow along with a couple of our Ohio Marathoners at this hashtag: #marathon29

I wonder if they are all singing Tovoli Nights by now.  Part of Reptilicus is a nice little travelogue.....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2012 at 12:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Seems like the Ohio Marathon has completed successfully. WAR OF THE SATELLITES got dropped when they fell over an hour behind schedule (apparently pretty common there).

The big news: Bruce Bartoo slept through an intermission when he was supposed to appear.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:23pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 12:22pm:
Seems like the Ohio Marathon has completed successfully. WAR OF THE SATELLITES got dropped when they fell over an hour behind schedule (apparently pretty common there).

The big news: Bruce Bartoo slept through an intermission when he was supposed to appear.

Looking at that slate that is not the movie that I would have dropped. Happy that it went well for the Ohio brethren.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2012 at 2:52pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Here's a link to reviews and commentary on Columbus as it actually happened. http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1378
A quick summary of the lesser known films.: The Last Push was an excellent small film. Source Code missed by many people, was for recent Hollywood SF, both well made & thoughtful.
Run screaming from any possible showing of  Electroma (Think Folklore without the excitement.) or
Manborg Punk without edge or style. &
Captains A creation of William Shatner's ego that even a true blue Trekkie would find bad enough to convert them to being a Wookie lover. Reduced five capable actors to blithering idiot reflections of Shatner.
Green Slime & Reptilicus: Creature features that would be loved by any genre aficionado.
You probably know the others. Look at the link for details.
Cheers from Cleveland.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2012 at 4:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Pogo:
Sounds like another stellar 'thon and proof Bruce wasn't asleep at the switch in organizing a great program. Wink

Quote:
The between movie music was very well done, a lot of thought went into the song selections. Having DJ'd many years ago I appreciate the hard work Dave/VitruvianZeke puts into that.

Cool! Could you elaborate? Having that job ourselves, Mrs. F and I would be interested to read VitruvianZeke's playlist. Smiley
(this may need to go to the music thread eventually)

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2012 at 5:53pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sadly GREEN SLIME was only a DVD. But, the print of REPTILICUS sounds very enticing.

Glad to hear the show went well it seems.

Hope you can make it to Boston next year!

Pass the fruit.........pogo wrote on May 27th, 2012 at 2:52pm:
Here's a link to reviews and commentary on Columbus as it actually happened. http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1378
A quick summary of the lesser known films.: The Last Push was an excellent small film. Source Code missed by many people, was for recent Hollywood SF, both well made & thoughtful.
Run screaming from any possible showing of  Electroma (Think Folklore without the excitement.) or
Manborg Punk without edge or style. &
Captains A creation of William Shatner's ego that even a true blue Trekkie would find bad enough to convert them to being a Wookie lover. Reduced five capable actors to blithering idiot reflections of Shatner.
Green Slime & Reptilicus: Creature features that would be loved by any genre aficionado.
You probably know the others. Look at the link for details.
Cheers from Cleveland.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7