WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
WEATHER warnings: T, roads, Parking Festival dates (Read 24402 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 10:07pm

Metaluna   Offline

If there is anything more than a dusting I can pretty much predict emergency parking rules will be in place. I know a lot of people had a backup plan to park at Alewife. If the T isn't running, well...that won't work.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:31am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

We're flying in from Kansas City in a couple of hours. The hub in Chicago looks good but once we land at Logan things could go terribly wrong! So much for flying on Friday the 13th.

Obviously, a rescheduled event would be just as bad as a cancellation for us. We're staying within walking distance...long cold...but walking distance. I wonder if there isn't a member of the Marathon community who could shuttle attendees from Alewife should the worst happen.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:01am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

According to some Facebook posts the word is the Marathon is still a go.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:44pm

Metaluna   Offline

MBTA Plans to Run Saturday; No Decision Yet on Sunday Service

Quote:
With a blizzard threatening to bring around a foot of snow and high winds this weekend, the MBTA plans to operate on Saturday but officials have not yet said if the public transportation system will be open Sunday and beyond.

“With the storm track uncertain, it is premature to make a decision [on Friday],” MBTA spokesperson Joe Pesaturo said in an email. “We plan to keep the system open on Saturday and will coordinate closely with Mayor Walsh on ensuring that the City can conduct all necessary snow removal operations. Decisions about service on Sunday and beyond will be made [Saturday].”

Quote:
This weekend’s storm is expected to begin Saturday afternoon, with the strongest part hitting Sunday morning. The bigger issue will be the whipping winds, which are expected to severely limit visibility Boston.com’s David Epstein writes.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 4:08pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

It's looking like it might be a last minute decision so we won't know anything about the T for certain till Saturday.
Checked some hotels near Alewife and they're full.
I'm pretty much resolved to just getting there ASAP on Sunday (if it does go on.)
I'm not giving up after 40 years, just don't know how I'd get there very early.
Can someone post about parking when they do get there?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 6:04pm

Metaluna   Offline

The upcoming Boston blizzard may be equivalent to Category 2 hurricane

Quote:
The NWS is forecasting between 10 to 14 inches of snow in Boston on top of the three to four feet already on the ground, and is also warning of a life-threatening combination of powerful winds and cold temperatures during and in the wake of the storm through Sunday.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:51pm

Metaluna   Offline

Blizzard warning issued as Mass. braces for more snow

Quote:
The forecasters warned that travel could become nearly impossible and potentially threatening because of whiteout conditions and could remain dangerous well into Sunday. Wind chills will be bitterly cold. Some areas could see electrical outages due to the powerful winds bringing down trees and power wires, the forecasters said.

“Travel must be completed by late Saturday afternoon,” the forecasters advised.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:56pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Its official, the MBTA will be shut down all day Sunday.
They warn of extremely hazardous travel conditions.
We may see a driving ban and of course after a storm a parking ban.

Its over.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:01pm

Metaluna   Offline

Facebook page mentioned the possibility of a delayed start. Might help a few people...

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:20pm

Drew   Offline
YaBB Newbies
@drawnonglass
Somerville, MA

I'm considering just doing the festival again tomorrow and skipping the 'thon completely - I'm local, but not local enough that I can wade through the snow to get there and back without busses.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:45pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

A short  delay only helps if you are local.  A push back to 6pm as Ian stated might e more helpful.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:54pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Frank wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 8:45pm:
A short  delay only helps if you are local.  A push back to 6pm as Ian stated might e more helpful.

A pushback to 6 PM would make the most sense. The storm should hopefully peter out by Sunday afternoon. If people try to drive in while the visibility is zero, people are going to get hurt...or worse.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:13pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Neil_N wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:54pm:

A pushback to 6 PM would make the most sense. The storm should hopefully peter out by Sunday afternoon. If people try to drive in while the visibility is zero, people are going to get hurt...or worse.

Not bad but it would still exclude a lot of people who were planning to take the train or subway in since those will be out of commission all day Sunday, leaving them stuck.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:22pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

UncleTim wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:13pm:
Neil_N wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:54pm:

Not bad but it would still exclude a lot of people who were planning to take the train or subway in since those will be out of commission all day Sunday, leaving them stuck.

We're facing a pretty dire situation here. I don't think postponing the event to another weekend is really feasible.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 11:29pm

Joe Neff   Offline

PANCAKE CARS!  Get started now everyone!  We'll ride the syrup-laden roads to glory!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3