WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
WEATHER warnings: T, roads, Parking Festival dates (Read 24324 times)
Feb 9th, 2015 at 6:52pm

Drew   Offline
YaBB Newbies
@drawnonglass
Somerville, MA

For anyone not generally on the Boston transit news feeds, this just happened:

T-Alert <talert@public.govdelivery.com>

5:44 PM (13 minutes ago)

to me
All MBTA rail services will be suspended at 7:00 p.m on Monday, Feb 9 and from start to end of service on Tuesday, Feb 10. This means no Subway, Trolleys or Commuter Rail trains will depart Boston after 7:00 p.m.

All MBTA rail services will be suspended at 7:00 p.m on Monday, February 9 and from start to end of service on Tuesday, February 10. This means no Subway, Trolleys or Commuter Rail trains will depart Boston after 7:00 p.m.
Limited MBTA bus service will continue until the end of regular service hours and from start to end of service on Tuesday, February 10, but customers are advised that connections to subway and Commuter Rail lines will not be available.

Last updated: Feb 09 2015 05:43 PM

NOTE: Thread title changed to fit the posts - Admin
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2015 at 7:41pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:33pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Time to at least think about moving the event to Patriot's Day weekend in April as I proposed long ago.

February is such a minefield to dodge every year.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 9:25pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:33pm:
Time to at least think about moving the event to Patriot's Day weekend in April as I proposed long ago.

February is such a minefield to dodge every year.

Nope!

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 2:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I don't think I'd move the marathon, but one thing that might be worth considering is uncoupling the festival from the 'thon.  Carve out a piece of late August/early September - maybe roughly the same week as Toronto so that we can get stuff that premieres at their Midnight Madness a few days later like the Boston Film Festival used to do.

The global Fantastic Film Festival circuit mostly runs July - November, and being so far away from that wouldn't help ours even if the weather wasn't more or less guaranteed to clobber some part of a nine-day schedule anyway.  Heck, partner with the Brattle to revive their Boston Fantastic Film Festival which used to run then.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 3:14pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Tradition IS important. But, it just seems like with the addition of the festival you have a 12 Day Target on the event right smack in the middle of the most notorious month for snow in the area. Might have to build in 2 or 3 "insurance" days for the fest where stuff that gets postponed can get placed (and, yes, that includes the Marathon). Somerville Theater willing, of course.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:17pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I had enthused my daughter/son-in-law (Jamaica Plain) duo to attend some of the festival. He likes Sf (but is more of a gamer - actually wins big bucks at Magic, The---competitions) She attended three Cleveland 30 hr. Marathons  with me when she was a kid. Deserting their kid for the Marathon is out of the question.
The cr@p of cross town in this weather, first to drop off their (beautiful) baby at a friends and then get to Somerville was too much. They opted out.
DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE!!!
Personally, I attended two of the last three Boston Thons. Will come to more. But the weather is a definite impediment. Can't plan on driving. And as shown by this year, even paying big bucks to fly doesn't necessarily work.
I have more problems than most. But on a reduced level, weather is an impediment to all. There is a goof to going to a theater in bad weather.
But changing to Spring or Fall has a logic to it.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sorry you won't make it, Pogo. You are a spark here on the Messageboard!

I'm just hoping to slip in myself!

pogo wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:17pm:
I had enthused my daughter/son-in-law (Jamaica Plain) duo to attend some of the festival. He likes Sf (but is more of a gamer - actually wins big bucks at Magic, The---competitions) She attended three Cleveland 30 hr. Marathons  with me when she was a kid. Deserting their kid for the Marathon is out of the question.
The cr@p of cross town in this weather, first to drop off their (beautiful) baby at a friends and then get to Somerville was too much. They opted out.
DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE!!!
Personally, I attended two of the last three Boston Thons. Will come to more. But the weather is a definite impediment. Can't plan on driving. And as shown by this year, even paying big bucks to fly doesn't necessarily work.
I have more problems than most. But on a reduced level, weather is an impediment to all. There is a goof to going to a theater in bad weather.
But changing to Spring or Fall has a logic to it.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:49pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 3:14pm:
Tradition IS important. But, it just seems like with the addition of the festival you have a 12 Day Target on the event right smack in the middle of the most notorious month for snow in the area. Might have to build in 2 or 3 "insurance" days for the fest where stuff that gets postponed can get placed (and, yes, that includes the Marathon). Somerville Theater willing, of course.

I suspect that if we're just using the screening room for make-up screenings after the festival as would likely be the case, the theater would be less of a problem than getting Garen or someone else with the fest out there for what are probably minuscule audiences.  Unless the actual selections for the fest improve a lot, it probably won't be worth it.

Someday, the bad storm is going to line up with the day of the marathon, but I figure we don't need to worry about it until then.

Now, to talk to Harvard Square and hope I have better luck with the 96 bus than last night...

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 9:05am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hopefully, the snow won't be too bad Sunday. We cut it close a few years back when that mammoth storm started at dawn during the 'thon.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 3:10pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i say without fear of contradiction that parking will suck. can i carpool with someone from north of worcester?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 5:06pm

Metaluna   Offline

Walsh calls for T to close for weekend snowstorm

Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh said that the MBTA should shut down this Saturday and Sunday as the city and region face another significant snowstorm that could bring blizzard-like wind conditions and a foot of new snow.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 7:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Our luck may have run out, we may be facing a city shutdown and no choice but to cancel the event.

(Or maybe delay till next weekend Sat & Sun?)

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 8:55pm

Brendan   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Brookline NH

I would hope the Thon would be postponed, not cancelled. If the MBTA isn't running I don't think we will be able to make it in.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:51pm

july   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

The morning of Sunday is supposed to be pretty bad for just about anyone, driving or taking public transit.  If the trains close or a parking ban happens, we're basically all SOL.  I assume that postponing is a major hassle due to getting and returning the films, but I also assume Garen is at least considering it if the forecast continues as it is presently.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 9:56pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A cancellation would be tragic especially for the 40th Postponing would be logistically difficult too..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3