WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Quiz for Marathon 39. (Read 11825 times)
Jan 28th, 2014 at 1:34pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Here’s a quiz in celebration of Marathon 39.
Answers refer to films shown at the Marathon.
Some answers are subjective, as are some questions.
Many require levels of memory or attendance far superior to my own.
Sorry about any mistakes or poor phrasing.
See what you can do before looking @ the list of films shown or googling.
Answers will be provided as seems appropriate.
Mostly, enjoy.

1.      Most shown?
2.      A British Acad. Award winning actor has appeared in a dozen+ SF or fantasy films. Name 2 of the 3 shown at the Marathon.
3.      Simon Pegg's colleague, Nick Frost, co-starred in Paul. Name his other Marathon appearance.
4.      Jeff Goldblum has been in 5 Thon films. Name 4.
5.      Name the most shown feature film.
6.      Another title has been shown the same number as (5). But actually it was two different films. The title was?
7.      Ahnald’s been in 3. Name them.
8.      NED RYERSON!! Was repeatedly in ___?
9.      A French film occasioned a second US film, both shown at the Marathon. They were?
10.      Who received a Best Actor Oscar for his performance in a Thon film?
11.      Film versions of Stephen King works are legion. Name the only one shown at the Marathon.
12.      Philip K. Dick movies are almost as legion as those of King. Name 3 of the 4 shown.
13.      Can you name the written work that any of (12) was made from?
14.      Speaking of Pegg. Name his 2 Marathon appearances.
15.      Name the remake of High Noon shown at the Marathon. The title is part of a previous answer.
16.      Lots of zombies in lots of films. Which had 4 footed zombies?
17.      Inspector Clouseau’s boss (the actor) was in a twice shown Thon film. It was?
18.      Which film had the largest wingspan?
19.      The prolific David Cronenberg has had 5 films here. Since 2 were pretty obscure, name 3.

A few subjective questions. 

20.      Name 3 genuinely funny films. “Genuinely” is defined as causing you or other watchers to laugh out loud at least 3 times.
21.      Which film did you find the most genuinely scary? In very few words, care to say why?
22.      Biggest waste of time? Please no Folklore – too easy.
23.      Iron Giant & Fantastic Planet are my two favorite animated Marathon films. Neither for the quality of the animation. Yours?
24.      Name 3 films where dogs play significant roles. And yes, John Carter counts.
25.      The first Thon film that I ever saw in a theater was The Mysterians. Yours?
26.      Name a film that is the sole representative of a given country. There’s an easy answer, but can you think of anything more obscure?
27.      Upside down and backwards brings what to mind?
28.      Eating crow is a catchphrase. Who actually does it? (Well a black bird at least.)
29.      With the exceptions of Fonda & Weaver, few women act the lead in Thon movies. Name one.
30.      Mimsy Were the Borogroves,  by classic SF authors Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore,  was the basis of what Marathon film?
31.      Other classic SF stories form the basis of many movies. Name at least 4 written titles which were changed for the movie version.
32.      Bela Lugosi starred in Dracula (never shown.) He was in at least 3 Thon films. Name 2.
33.      H. G. Welles films. Name 3. (There were 5.)
34.      Can you name a film that ends with a total non-sequitur? Hint. One of my favorite films ends with the lead staring at a large ringed planet. Other?
35.      Recently saw Killer Klowns From Outer Space. It contained what I thought was the worst acting ever shown on a movie screen. Not one performance. Every performance. Your nomination for the worst acted Thon film?
36.      Lots of bug movies: at least 6. Name 4.
37.      One critic said that Plan 9 From Outer Space was the worst film ever made. Name three actors therein.
38.      Movies have been substituted, both deliberately and due to supplier error. Name a movie that was substituted for a title of the same name. Hint. A star in the movie was highly regarded as a juvenile performer.
39.      Steve McQueen and Michael Landon each had their second movie shown at the Marathon. Name both.

Bonus.
Wheat Chex or Rice Chex.? Can you state briefly the origin of Chex?

Thank you for any time you expend.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 10:53pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Part 1
1.      Most shown?
Duck Dodgers
2.      A British Acad. Award winning actor has appeared in a dozen+ SF or fantasy films. Name 2 of the 3 shown at the Marathon.
Christopher Plummer 9, ST IV, 12 Monkeys
3.      Simon Pegg's colleague, Nick Frost, co-starred in Paul. Name his other Marathon appearance.
Attack The Block
4.      Jeff Goldblum has been in 5 Thon films. Name 4.
The Fly, Inv of the Body Snatchers, Jurassic Park, BB, ID4
5.      Name the most shown feature film.
The Day The Earth Stood Still
6.      Another title has been shown the same number as (5). But actually it was two different films. The title was?
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
7.      Ahnald’s been in 3. Name them.
Terminator, T2, Total Recall
8.      NED RYERSON!! Was repeatedly in ___?
Groundhog Day
9.      A French film occasioned a second US film, both shown at the Marathon. They were?
Le Jetee, 12 Monkeys
10.      Who received a Best Actor Oscar for his performance in a Thon film?
Cliff Robertson Charley
11.      Film versions of Stephen King works are legion. Name the only one shown at the Marathon.
Lawnmower Man in name only, in name only
12.      Philip K. Dick movies are almost as legion as those of King. Name 3 of the 4 shown.
Screamers, Bladerunner, Total Recall, Minority Report
13.      Can you name the written work that any of (12) was made from?
Minority Report, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
14.      Speaking of Pegg. Name his 2 Marathon appearances.
Star Trak, Paul
15.      Name the remake of High Noon shown at the Marathon. The title is part of a previous answer.
Outland
16.      Lots of zombies in lots of films. Which had 4 footed zombies?
Baaaaaa! I'm wool gathering here
17.      Inspector Clouseau’s boss (the actor) was in a twice shown Thon film. It was?
The great Herbert Lom played Captain Nemo in The Mysterious Island
18.      Which film had the largest wingspan?
Not even sure what this means!   
19.      The prolific David Cronenberg has had 5 films here. Since 2 were pretty obscure, name 3.
Existenz, Rabid, Scanners, The Came From Within, Videodrome

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:15am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Well, so far Frank (WOOHOO!) has gotten all but two of the first 19.  Christopher Plummer (Q2) meets most , but not all of the criteria. Not enough SR/Fantasy. And he's Canadian.   18 doesn't seem THAT obscure.
Carry on.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:50am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

17. Lom was also in Journey To The Far side Of The Sun which had 1 appearance.
18. Maybe meaning The Giant Claw which was big as a battleship?

Subjective answers (figuring all questions are marathon only films)
20. Sleeper, The Bed Sitting Room, Man With Two Brains
21. They Came From Within, Rabid. Both really more unsettling and creepy than scary in the traditional sense.
22. Hu-Man, Wings of Honneamise, Terminal Man
23. Iron Giant definitely, haven't cared for the anime films shown. Iron Giant still got the best reaction of ANY marathon film in my book, almost dead silence after the explosion punctuated only by sniffle as folks fought back the tears.
24. A Boy And His Dog, John Carter, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (78 version)
25. This Island Earth at SF1 Smiley
26. Aelita (USSR) Metropolis (Germany) The Quiet Earth (New Zealand)
27. Duck Dodgers at SF21
28. Blanking on this one.
29. Devil Girl From Mars starring Patricia Laffan in the title role.
30. The Last Mimzy
31.  Farewell To The Master (Day The Earth Stood Still) Who Goes There? (The Thing) The Foghorn (Beast From 20.000 Fathoms) Island Of Dr Moreau (Island Of Lost Souls)
32.  Invisible Ray, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Island Of Lost Souls
33. War Of The Worlds, Things To Come, The Time Machine
34. Last Days Of Man On Earth with an ape man in feminine makeup doing a Groucho Marx impression.
35. Battlefield Earth (for the record I really like Killer Klowns)oh yeah, can't forget Demonlover which I'm still not convinced actually ended.
36.Them, The Fly, The Fly (remake) Hellstrom Chronicles
37. Bela Lugosi, Dudley Manlove, Vampira
38. Not Of This Earth (cute clue btw)
39. The Blob, I Was A Teenage Werewolf
40. Chex Cereal was found in a glowing meteorite. Wheat, Rice, Corn, Bran and the briefly available Wasabi Chex were all cloned from the single original cereal bit. If you mean where the Wheat Chex, Rice Chex marathon yell came from, it was from a commercial on an episode of Space Patrol shown at SF13

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:51am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Well, 2, 18 & 28 remain, plus the subjective questions. Lots more answers to 31. I was thinking of Einstein from Back to the Future as part of the answer to 24, but Invasion ---is better. Thinking of a different lady for 29. For (26) - Black Sheep was also New Zealandish. I can think of 2 other films that meet the criteria. Alternate answers exist for a number of others, but I sorta prefer Bunnyman's.
I know that the current responders did a hell of a lot better than I could have without a list of the films in front of me. Congratulations.
And I also liked Killer Klowns. But the best acting in the film was performed by the shadow puppets on the wall.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 7:31am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Sean Connery -  Time Bandits, Outland, Zardoz

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 8:40am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

For 18: Rodan?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 9:21am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

UncleTim wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 8:40am:
For 18: Rodan?

The problem with this question it that is is basically unanswerable.  The wingspans of the monsters in question are not revealed on screen.  Further complicating matters, it that the size of these creatures can vary from scene to scene.  Creatures with huge wingspans would be Mothra, Rodan, The Giant Claw,  Ghidrah.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:32am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Questions from part 2 that have additional answers.

20.      Name 3 genuinely funny films. “Genuinely” is defined as causing you or other watchers to laugh out loud at least 3 times.
Groundhog Day, Army of Darkness, Austin Powers
21.      Which film did you find the most genuinely scary? In very few words, care to say why?
None really.
22.      Biggest waste of time? Please no Folklore – too easy.
Motivational Growth
23.      Iron Giant & Fantastic Planet are my two favorite animated Marathon films. Neither for the quality of the animation. Yours?
Iron Giant hands down.
24.      Name 3 films where dogs play significant roles. And yes, John Carter counts.
I Married A Monster From Outer Space, The Thing, A Boy and His Dog
25.      The first Thon film that I ever saw in a theater was The Mysterians. Yours?
Invasion of the Body Snatchers- original 1961 Costa Rica
26.      Name a film that is the sole representative of a given country. There’s an easy answer, but can you think of anything more obscure?
The Host (South Korea), Lady Terminator (Indonesia), Endhiran (India)
27. ANSWERED.
28.      Eating crow is a catchphrase. Who actually does it? (Well a black bird at least.)
Paul
29.      With the exceptions of Fonda & Weaver, few women act the lead in Thon movies. Name one. A whole Bunch here. Galaxina - Dorothy Stratton, Starcrash - Caroline Munroe, 50 Foot Woman - Allison Hayes, Existenz - Jennifer Jason Leigh,   
30.      ANSWERED
31.      Other classic SF stories form the basis of many movies. Name at least 4 written titles which were changed for the movie version.
Here are a few more.  Monster From Land's End - Navy Versus The Night Monster, The Cosmic Frame - Invasion of the Saucermen, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale -Total Recall, The Shape of Things To Come - Things to Come, The Racer - Death Race 2000
32.      ANSWERED
33.      H. G. Welles films. Name 3. (There were 5.)
More than 5. Things to Come, Invisible Man, Food of the Gods, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, Island of Lost Souls.
34.      Can you name a film that ends with a total non-sequitur? Hint. One of my favorite films ends with the lead staring at a large ringed planet. Other?
35.      Recently saw Killer Klowns From Outer Space. It contained what I thought was the worst acting ever shown on a movie screen. Not one performance. Every performance. Your nomination for the worst acted Thon film?
Killer Klowns is terrific.  Any Larry Blamire film.
36.      Lots of bug movies: at least 6. Name 4.
Them!, Tarantula, World without End (giant spider), Queen of Outer Space (same spider), Food of the Gods, Five Million Years to Earth, ST 2 (ear bugs), Phase IV, Andromeda Strain (if you want to extend the definition of "bug"), First Men in the Moon, Mysterious Island (giant bees), Tremors (bugs?), The Tingler (a bug?)
37.      One critic said that Plan 9 From Outer Space was the worst film ever made. Name three actors therein.
Gregory Walcott (Eastwood used him in a few films back in the day), Tor Johnson, Conrad Brooks
38.      ANSWERED.
39.      ANSWERED

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:40am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

28. Paul, can't believe I forgot about it (one of my favorite marathon films too.)

33. Should you also count Time After Time with Malcom McDowell playing Wells?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:37pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Thanks for the interest shown. Any additional answers appreciated.
I find it genuinely interesting to learn about others viewing backgrounds and preferences, so please keep posting on the subjective Qs.
And while the caveats about question 18 are legit, it would seem to be difficult to say that anything but MOTHRA!!! had the greatest wingspan.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 2:35pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:37pm:
Thanks for the interest shown. Any additional answers appreciated.
I find it genuinely interesting to learn about others viewing backgrounds and preferences, so please keep posting on the subjective Qs.
And while the caveats about question 18 are legit, it would seem to be difficult to say that anything but MOTHRA!!! had the greatest wingspan.

See here we go Wink.  Mothra comes in third.  The Giant Claw, at one point lands on the Empire State Building and with it's wings not fully extended, the wingspan is longer than the Empire State Building is tall.  King Ghidorah is next.  He is much larger than Mothra.  Mothra's wings probably have the most volume but she comes up short on length.  Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 4:48pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Okay. Okay. You win.
I suffer from my affections.
As it happens, never saw Giant Claw. Have seen Ghidorah, although it was in Destroy All Monsters.
When I think of Mothra, she seems the epitome of wingspan.
But I did say "Largest." You got it.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 6:13pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Jan 29th, 2014 at 4:48pm:
Okay. Okay. You win.
I suffer from my affections.
As it happens, never saw Giant Claw. Have seen Ghidorah, although it was in Destroy All Monsters.
When I think of Mothra, she seems the epitome of wingspan.
But I did say "Largest." You got it.

Don't get me wrong I love Mothra.  It could be my favorite kaiju.  I was one of the folks who fought to get it for the thon.  I do love the subjectivity tho.  It remainds me of the time whan I had my comic book store and customers would come in and debate, "Who would win in a fight...."  The discussion is almost always better than any conclusion.
By the way, thanks for the herculean effort it must have taken to design the quiz.  It is much appreciated and I love memory tests.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 4:36pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

one of the funniest was "journey to the center of the earth" sf 11. it was my first experience with a full marathon. it played last and the final scene induced an extended belly laugh from the whole audience. pat boone got shot out of a volcano and landed in a convent with no clothes on. he used a sheep to cover himself.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged