WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Questions re SF 39 (Read 3850 times)
Jan 26th, 2014 at 1:51pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Thought to start an open topic re this year's Thon.
1. Is it possible that there will be a sellout? Asking because it will require (me) a 10 hour drive to get to Boston for the Thon (and a family visit.) If so, suggestions? Get in line early? Bribe the staff? Can't buy in advance as I won't drive if there's a blizzard.
2. For relative newbies, food suggestions. Any changes from a couple of years ago?
3. Other suggestions? Not about surviving a 24 hour Marathon, (most people have been there) but suggestions to foster the maximum pleasure.
4. Other.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 10:03pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Jan 26th, 2014 at 1:51pm:
1. Is it possible that there will be a sellout? Asking because it will require (me) a 10 hour drive to get to Boston for the Thon (and a family visit.) If so, suggestions? Get in line early? Bribe the staff? Can't buy in advance as I won't drive if there's a blizzard.
2. For relative newbies, food suggestions. Any changes from a couple of years ago?
3. Other suggestions? Not about surviving a 24 hour Marathon, (most people have been there) but suggestions to foster the maximum pleasure.
4. Other.

MY ANSWERS
1. Possible but unlikely. Even so Garen usually keeps possible tickets way below the theaters capacity so room for some more. The Somerville's a big house anyway with that great balcony.

2. Bring whatever you like for snacks. No need to overdo it. There are a bunch of restaurants/sandwich shops/fast food/convenience stores around the theater too.

3. Take it easy on caffeine. Plan a dinner break movie (hot meal makes a big difference in making it through.) Stretch your legs between movies. Maybe bring a pillow & blanket for a nap

4. Yes.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 11:02pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Very good points, Da Bunnyman.

Withe the huge balcony, there is little chance of an actual sellout, although most of the really good seats, including the first rows of the balcony could very well be taken. If Pogo is by himself or a small group, I'm sure some of us vets will help him out on seating - after all, he IS an Ohio embassador!  Wink

I will post my 'How to Stay Awake Guide' soon.

One new point that came to mind this week is -

GET INTO the spirit of things. If the audience is clapping - clap along. If we are screaming "Mark!" or "Rice Chex/Wheat Chex!" - join in, even if you have no clue as to why! Countdowns (10, 9, 8....1)? - Yes, please! The audience applauds a guest or contestant? Applaud even louder!

Not only does this help fuel the event, it charges YOU up and helps you mentally and physically endure the full 24!!

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2014 at 10:03pm:
4. Other.

MY ANSWERS
1. Possible but unlikely. Even so Garen usually keeps possible tickets way below the theaters capacity so room for some more. The Somerville's a big house anyway with that great balcony.

2. Bring whatever you like for snacks. No need to overdo it. There are a bunch of restaurants/sandwich shops/fast food/convenience stores around the theater too.

3. Take it easy on caffeine. Plan a dinner break movie (hot meal makes a big difference in making it through.) Stretch your legs between movies. Maybe bring a pillow & blanket for a nap

4. Yes.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 12:34am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 26th, 2014 at 10:03pm:
1. Is it possible that there will be a sellout?

MY ANSWERS
1. Possible but unlikely.

Not possible, not likely.  It's a nine hundred seat house, & I dont believe in miracles.  Grin

And, really?, The Truman Show?  Gag me.
     Between that, Flash Gordon, Electric Dreams, & the other junk, this is going to be the least stressful thon Ive run so far.  Tongue

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged