WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

WORLD WAR Z (Read 8355 times)
Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:52am

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

It's good! It's really good! Grim and violent and shocking, yet not much gore. Terrific Brad Pitt performance. Spectacular visuals. Whatever the problems were with rewriting and reshooting the final reel have been worked out. I'll post my review on Friday.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2013 at 1:33pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I liked the film as well. Not as much as Ed (but, he's a sucker for anything with explosions and action). I enjoyed it. It's nothing great, but, decent B-movie fun - albeit, a B-movie that cost $250M! The script owes more than a bit to I AM LEGEND by the recently departed Richard Matheson. I liked that the PG-13 kept it low key and intense, emphasizing suspense and character over show-stopping effects showcases, the Israel sequence notwithstanding.

Here is Director Marc Forster on the original ending and why it was changed - and, why we'll probably never see it.

Spoilers,natch:

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/marc-forster-world-war-z-original-ending/13541

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 11:22pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 17th, 2013 at 1:33pm:
The script owes more than a bit to I AM LEGEND by the recently departed Richard Matheson. I liked that the PG-13 kept it low key and intense, emphasizing suspense and character over show-stopping effects showcases, the Israel sequence notwithstanding.

(1) The script certainly didn't owe much to Max Brooks's novel, that's for sure.  Sure, some of the same events happened, but giving the audience one viewpoint character and linearizing it killed the most exciting thing about the novel:  The feeling of a global calamity that was dealt with differently everywhere, in parallel.

(2) The PG-13 rating didn't force them to keep it low-key and intense, but just forced the gore and violence off-screen.  And, you know, a zombie film needs that.  You need to see that these were once human beings who have been twisted and mutilated, and killing someone who was your friend just moments ago but is now no more than a rabid animal should be viscerally awful.

Sure, the deleted ending looks like it was legitimately terrible, and the new one isn't a bad piece of filmmaking, but it certainly goes alongside Man of Steel in a summer "missing the point by a mile" double feature.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 11:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

While I did not hate the film I was disappointed that it was not the big action film promised by the trailer and TV ads.
But the very worse thing about the film was that because of it there will likely never be a movie adaption of the book which is a heck of a read.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2014 at 2:54am

twocentsnonthewise   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

It's definitely a shame that more elements of the novel don't come through in the movie, but it did finish up as an intense thriller. Not sure how they'll get on with the sequel.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2014 at 7:55pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

da_Bunnyman wrote on Sep 20th, 2013 at 11:05pm:
While I did not hate the film I was disappointed that it was not the big action film promised by the trailer and TV ads.
But the very worse thing about the film was that because of it there will likely never be a movie adaption of the book which is a heck of a read.

I concur.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2014 at 9:58pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I was fine with the movie. Nothing great, but a decent PG-13 zombie flick. Of course, I hadn't read the book, so I wasn't "disappointed" in what was left out.

The book would probably do best as a mini-series?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2014 at 12:09am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:58pm:
a decent PG-13 zombie flick.

Oxymoron. Smiley

The book would probably do best as a mini-series?

Well, I'm guessing it does best as a book, although it might be a nifty audio drama if someone put the right effort into it.  I suppose a miniseries might be the best way to translate the experience of the book, although it would be of the type that's more an anthology than the "long movie" or "short television series" that we usually see, to the point of having different writers & directors adapting the parts that happened in their corner of the world.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2014 at 8:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 12:09am:
a decent PG-13 zombie flick.

Oxymoron. Smiley

WHITE ZOMBIE would be rated PG-13 or less, today. Very good Zombie movie.

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE as well. Perhaps the finest Zombie movie ever made.

Tongue

IP Logged