WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THE MACHINE (Read 3320 times)
May 3rd, 2014 at 10:39pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The Machine will be playing in the Somerville Theatre's micro-cinema in a couple of weeks - May 16th & 17th - and I would really appreciate it if anybody in the area would check it out during one of those four screenings.  Of all the genre films I saw at festivals last year - heck, all the films I saw last year - it may be my favorite.  I raved about it during Fantasia, recommended it for the festival, and personally put a bug in the ear of Subterranean Cinema programmer Chris Hallock's ear about it when I saw that it had US distribution but no Boston-area booking.  It's a big deal to me. Smiley

What is it?  A hard sci-fi movie set a couple decades in the future about a military project to create artificial intelligence and cybernetic brain implants for people who have sustained massive cranial trauma which leads to a new artificial life form (the "machine" of the title).  The action is great, the science is not dumbed down or otherwise ridiculous, and Caity Lotz (whom folks may know from Arrow) is pretty fantastic in the lead role.  Dennis Lawson, of Star Wars quasi-fame, makes a fantastic villain.

Again, highly worth your time, and maybe if these screenings do well, they'll book more like this.  Advance tickets are available at this link.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 4th, 2014 at 10:57am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on May 3rd, 2014 at 10:39pm:
The Machine will be playing in the Somerville Theatre's micro-cinema in a couple of weeks - May 16th & 17th - and I would really appreciate it if anybody in the area would check it out during one of those four screenings.  Of all the genre films I saw at festivals last year - heck, all the films I saw last year - it may be my favorite.  I raved about it during Fantasia, recommended it for the festival, and personally put a bug in the ear of Subterranean Cinema programmer Chris Hallock's ear about it when I saw that it had US distribution but no Boston-area booking.  It's a big deal to me. Smiley

What is it?  A hard sci-fi movie set a couple decades in the future about a military project to create artificial intelligence and cybernetic brain implants for people who have sustained massive cranial trauma which leads to a new artificial life form (the "machine" of the title).  The action is great, the science is not dumbed down or otherwise ridiculous, and Caity Lotz (whom folks may know from Arrow) is pretty fantastic in the lead role.  Dennis Lawson, of Star Wars quasi-fame, makes a fantastic villain.

Again, highly worth your time, and maybe if these screenings do well, they'll book more like this.  Advance tickets are available at this link.

Wanted to see this, but, it played in town for only a week at a 2nd tier theater out of the way. The reviews were ok, not great, but it does sound interesting.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2014 at 10:09pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I can sort of understand reviews from folks who don't necessarily love the genre being less than great, in part because it is very much our crowd's movie - within a few scenes, they're conduction a Turing Test without a lot of exposition on what it is, and when things start getting weird, the movie doesn't necessarily go along "AI is uniformly dangerous and anything that might make things different Must Be Stopped!" lines.

Again, come see it.  It's pretty great.

IP Logged