WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Awards Watch : Oscars, Razzies etc. (Read 17460 times)
Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:24pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

On the eve of the Academy Awards Nominations, the Razzies have put out their annual dishonor list. A lot of genre titles pop up, most notably the latest TWILIGHT as well as BATTLESHIP. Other related titles to get nods include TOTAL RECALL, GHOST RIDER and RESIDENT EVIL 5 (poor Milla).

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/razzie-nominations-twilight-finale-adam-sandler-...
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2018 at 3:28pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:05pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Academy Awards nominations are out, and there were a number of surprises including both Affleck and K.Bigelow NOT getting nominated for Best Director. The film many considered the co-favorite to win Foreign Film, THE INTOUCHABLES, didn't make the cut. The Austrian film AMOUR not only got Best Director, Screenplay and Best Actress nominations, but a Best Picture one as well.

SF and genre films did pretty poorly this year. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES failed to get a single nomination, including any in the technical fields. Ditto HUNGER GAMES, CLOUD ATLAS and LOOPER. THE AVENGERS got one for Special Effects. More fantasy oriented films like THE HOBBIT, SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN and MIRROR, MIRROR got tech slots.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:14pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Prometheus" got a technical nod, despite reviews that were mixed at best. Like LA said, a bad year for scince-fiction unless you want to count "Zero Dark Thirty: or How a 'Hot Chick' Got Bin Laden".

"Para Norman" also got a nod for animated feature, but it is even less sci-fi than Zero Dark Thirty.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:34pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

prometheus didn't get a razzy. the only way i can explain that is sympathy for the ridley scott family. his brother was a producer and you may recall he jumped off a bridge.

i'm suprised hunger games got nothing. surely that omission is due to political leanings.

i just saw django unchained and it does not deserve an oscar nomination for best film. samuel l jackson does definately deserve a supporting actor nomination for django. one theory: jackson appears late in the film. many academy members would not get that far into the movie due to the blood splattering all over the place.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 12:04pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES failed to get a single nomination, including any in the technical fields....

Given its amazing global box office revenue, I'm guessing "The Black Knight" can shake off any injury inflicted upon it by the Oscar Voters.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 8:12am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i just saw "beasts of the southern wild" and i'd give it a thumbs up. i don't understand the revilement that it gets from some critics. traditionally they are indie ass kissers. why not this indie? the 5 year old girl has a real shot at best actress oscar. she's a natural.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 12:14pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

BEASTS did get an unexpected four Oscar nominations and an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes, so it's overall reception wasn't one of "revilement". There are always a few outliers.

I'm one film viewing away from making my Top 10 list for the year. Hint, there will be a Beastly presence........

kirok wrote on Jan 16th, 2013 at 8:12am:
i just saw "beasts of the southern wild" and i'd give it a thumbs up. i don't understand the revilement that it gets from some critics. traditionally they are indie ass kissers. why not this indie? the 5 year old girl has a real shot at best actress oscar. she's a natural.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2013 at 2:10pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 4:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

2013 Academy Awards Preview (2012 film year)
Interesting year in that there is no single clear front-runner for Best Picture. Therefore, there WILL be surprises! As usual, I will give you my best Prediction for the winner in each category (Predix) and who I thought was (Best) .

VISUAL EFFECTS: HOBBIT may have had an edge if it didn’t follow so closely on the heels of the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, but the once thought “unfilmable” LIFE OF PI will deservedly take this.
Predix & Best: LIFE OF PI.

SOUND MIXING & SOUND EDITING: The nominees don’t line up as much as they usually do, so this should be a year with different winners. LES MISERABLES has the edge in Mixing because of the live singing on camera. Editing should go to ZERO DARK THIRTY, but, it will be nipped by SKYFALL as the long overlooked Bond films win a couple that night.

Mixing: Predix & Best: LES MISERABLES
Editing: Predix: SKYFALL  Best: ZERO DARK THIRTY

FILM EDITING: Very often goes with the Best Picture winner, so this may tip off the expected face-off between ARGO & LINCOLN. Not sure why SILVER LININGS is here other that that Best Picture nom.
Predix & Best: ARGO, W.Goldenberg

SONG: Usually this would go to a song from a Musical (LES MISERABLES), but that film is handicapped by the fact that it’s best known songs are ineligable because they were in the original play. Plus, hey, she’s Adele. I just prefered Norah Jones’ ditty.
Predix: SKYFALL, Adele & P.Epworth Best: TED, W.Murphy & S.MacFarlane

ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE: Most winners in this category recently have been the most easily enjoyable as a CD or Download, rather than what works best as a FILM SCORE (you know, what they are supposed to be awarded for). That trend will continue unless it’s an ARGO sweep.
Predix: LIFE OF PI, Mychael Danna  Best: ARGO, Alexandre Desplat

MAKEUP: HOBBIT may again be dinged because of following LORD OF THE RINGS so closely and given to all the muck and hair in MISERABLES.
Predix & Best: THE HOBBITT

ANIMATED FEATURE: There are no small arty films this year to crash the kiddie animation party.
Predix: WRECK IT RALPH.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: AMOUR should be the clear front-runner here by virtue of nominations in four other categories, but stranger things have happened with this award since so few voters have seen all 5 nominees.
Predix: AMOUR

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: In a curious last-minute move, the Academy decided to send DVDS of every nominee to every Academy voter (not just members of the Doc branch). That should open the way for the most popular of the nominees to win (although I suspect the results would have been the same). The fact that SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN is also one of the best films of the year, period, should also cinch this.
Predix: SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN

COSTUME DESIGN: Again, this is a category tailor made (sorry) for Musicals, the dreariness of LES MISERABLES opens the way for the exquisitely well-done work in....
Predix & Best: ANNA KARENINA, J.Durran

PRODUCTION DESIGN: Ditto, again.
Predix & Best: ANNA KARENINA

CINEMATOGRAPHY: With most films in big cities now playing almost exclusively in inferior Digital projection it makes judging this category much more difficult, even in movies shot on film. Janusz Kaminski’s work in particular seems to have suffered the most in translation from film to digital with his use of smoke etc.. Seamus McGarvey’s KARENINA less so. I’m not a fan of 3D, but, Claudio Miranda’s work on PI had depth without gimmickery.
Predix: LIFE OF PI, Claudio Miranda  Best, from what I could see on crappy digital: ANNA KARENINA, Seamus McGarvey

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Without the torturous “torture” controversy, Mark Boal’s intricate ZERO DARK THIRTY probably would have had an edge. This is the full Academy’s most obvious opportunity to reward  AMOUR (only a select group votes on Foreign Language).  If the precious MOONRISE KINGDOM or the asinine, ridiculous DJANGO UNCHAINED win, I may throw a shoe Middle-East style at the next Academy member I meet who admits to voting for one of them..
Predix: AMOUR, Michael Haneke  Best: ZERO DARK THIRTY, Mark Boal

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Tony Kushner’s literate script seemed likely take this until the ARGO bandwagon began.  BEAST OF THE SOUTHERN WILD is a better film, but, it was the direction and production that made is so more than the spare screenplay.
Predix: ARGO, Chris Terio  Best: LINCOLN, Tony Kushner

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: I know I’m being too reductive, but, since when is this the award for best performance in a Music Video? No doubt that Hathaway does a superb job with the song, but, there is precious little else (or even screen time) to her role. Sally Field would be a worthy winner, but, Helen Hunt faced the most challenges (not to mention screen time) in the touching THE SESSIONS.
Predix: LES MISERABLES, Anne Hathaway  Best: Helen Hunt, THE SESSIONS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: The most competitive of the Big 5 categories with all the nominees being Oscar winners. Tommy Lee Jones entered the race as the frontrunner, but, his grumpy Awards season demeanor could harm his chances. All of a sudden Robert De Niro got to be the Meryl Streep of this year’s ball – it’s been how long(32 years) since De Niro won? He’s ok, but, it’s just a small step up from what he does in the MEET THE PARENTS movies. I know Alan Arkin just won a few years ago, but, he’s a key reason ARGO was so enjoyable.
Predix: Robert De Niro, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK  Best: ARGO, Alan Arkin

BEST ACTRESS: There is a lot of sympathy for Jessica Chastain’s scrappy performance in ZERO DARK THIRTY (I thought it less convincing than most). Q. Wallis was a SIX YEAR OLD KID when she did BEASTS, and child performances are like trained animal acts IMHOP. But, after having gotten on the map with WINTER’S BONE, proved her commercial appeal with HUNGER GAMES, Jennifer Lawrence is set to complete the hat-trick here. That is, unless, 86 year old Emmanuelle Riva’s touching acting steals the voters’ hearts.
Predix: SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, Jennifer Lawrence  Best: AMOUR, Emmanuelle Riva

BEST ACTOR: Daniel Day Lewis in a landslide election. That is, unless Mitt Romney’s pollsters are to be believed and the results are “skewed”!  Smiley
Predix & Best: LINCOLN, Daniel Day Lewis

BEST DIRECTOR: When the Academy decided to expand Best Picture to up to 10 nominees each year, that by definition guaranteed up to 5 alleged “snubs” per year (folks have to look up the definition of the word, really). Still Affleck and Bigelow’s lack of nominations was a surprise. Less so, because the Director’s branch has been known to nominate “outsiders” to the Hollywood elite over the years. Folks like Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa, Lina Wertmuller and Robert Altman (even in years where his films weren’t up for Best Picture). If the award was voted on exclusively by the Director’s branch, I could see AMOUR’s Haneke or even BEAST’s Zeitlin take this. But, the larger Academy will likely give Spielberg or Ang Lee (PI) this as a “consolation” prize. The irony would not be lost since it happened to each of them before (Spielberg for SAVING PRVT.RYAN and Lee for BROKEBACK MTN.).
Predix: LINCOLN, Steven Spielberg  Best: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, Benh Zeitlin

BEST PICTURE: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD is the best of the 9. It’s too “small” & “arty” to win, of course (as is AMOUR). ZERO DARK THIRTY never got traction after the “torture” controversy. Longshot scenarios exist for LIFE OF PI & SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, but they are improbable. This leaves LINCOLN and ARGO. Up until quite recently, I thought LINCOLN had the edge, but all the crying and whining about poor millionaire Ben Affleck’s “snub” (that mis-used word again) started a bandwagon which hasn’t ebbed.
Predix: ARGO  Best: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

Selections in the other categories to fill out your Oscar Ballot:

Best Animated Short: PAPERMAN. Disney film. Attached to the probable Animated Feature winner, WRECK IT RALPH
Best Live Action Short: CURFEW. I only saw DEATH OF A SHADOW of the nominees, but CURFEW sounds the kind of film that wins here.

Best Documentary Short: OPEN HEART a stirring story of kids getting saved.

My Top Films of the Year (full details here: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1360175733)

1.      SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN  (M. Bendjelloul)
2.      BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD (B.Zeitlin)
3.      DEEP BLUE SEA (T.Davies)
4.      BARBARA (C.Petzhold)
5.      KID WITH A BIKE (Dardenne Brothers)
6.      FOOTNOTE (J.Cedar)
7.      MONSIEUR LAZHAR (P.Falardeu)
8.      ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA (N.Ceylan)
9.      IMPOSTER, THE (B.Layton)
10.      OSLO, AUGUST 31 (J.Trier)
11.      (tie)
ARGO (B.Affleck)
ZERO DARK THIRTY (K.Bigelow)
LINCOLN (S.Spielberg)
LIFE OF PI (A.Lee)
AMOUR (M.Haeneke) 

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:56pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Some loved it some hated it, but Josh Wheddon's "Cabin in the Woods" won this year's Rondo award.

http://www.rondoaward.com/rondo/rondos.html

"Avengers", "Woman in Black" and "Dark Shadows" were the runners up.

Best restoration:
1931 Dracula
Runner-up: CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (3-D)

"Corman's World" and "Men in Suits" have been mentioned on this site but lost out to "Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns" as best documentary.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 9:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

CABIN IN THE WOODS should have won for "Most Overhyped".

The Corman doc sounds interesting - but, not for the Marathon.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:56pm:
Some loved it some hated it, but Josh Wheddon's "Cabin in the Woods" won this year's Rondo award.

http://www.rondoaward.com/rondo/rondos.html

"Avengers", "Woman in Black" and "Dark Shadows" were the runners up.

Best restoration:
1931 Dracula
Runner-up: CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (3-D)

"Corman's World" and "Men in Suits" have been mentioned on this site but lost out to "Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns" as best documentary.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 10:54pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 24th, 2013 at 9:24pm:
CABIN IN THE WOODS should have won for "Most Overhyped".

The Corman doc sounds interesting - but, not for the Marathon.

I liked Cabin In The Woods, but likely it got the underdog vote. I'd really question why Dark shadows was on the list at all.
I saw the Corman doc and it was just okay, but not a good fit for us since it really covers non sci-fi films more.
Men In Suits or the winning Beast Wishes would work well though. 

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2013 at 2:31pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"DEMONLOVER II: Only God Forgives" GETS A BIG REACION AT CANNES!

(Okay, it was actually called simply "Only God Forgives") -RF

Here's an actual review:
Quote:
“Movies really don’t get much worse than Nicholas Winding Refn‘s ‘Only God Forgives’,” wrote Hollywood Elsewhere’s Jeffrey Wells. “It’s a sh-- macho fantasy — hyperviolent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious. I realize I sound like Rex Reed on one of his rants, but trust me, please — this is a defecation by an over-praised, over-indulged director who thinks anything he craps out is worthy of your time. I felt violated, s*** upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled and bored stiff.”

Aww, come on Jeffrey, tell us what you really think. -RF

Loud boos and numerous walkouts attested to the films er, uh, impact.

Ryan Gosling Booed as Cannes Pans 'Only God Forgives'
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/ryan-gosling-booed-cannes-pans-only-god... Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2013 at 3:46pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

R_F_Fineman wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 2:31pm:

Here's an actual review:
Quote:
“Movies really don’t get much worse than Nicholas Winding Refn‘s ‘Only God Forgives’,” wrote Hollywood Elsewhere’s Jeffrey Wells. “It’s a sh-- macho fantasy — hyperviolent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious. I realize I sound like Rex Reed on one of his rants, but trust me, please — this is a defecation by an over-praised, over-indulged director who thinks anything he craps out is worthy of your time. I felt violated, s*** upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled and bored stiff.”

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/ryan-gosling-booed-cannes-pans-only-god... Shocked

couldn't happen to a nicer guy. was clooney involved?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2013 at 6:21pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Other critics were kinder to the film, only calling it "soulless and despicable". Shot in Bangkok and featuring nonstop violence and long scenes without dialogue, it sounds to me like "Lady Terminator: a Terrence Malick film"  Wink

Cannes Review: Soulless, Despicable 'Only God Forgives' Shuts Up and Slices Limbs
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/cannes-review-soulless-despicable-only-god-forgives...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2013 at 7:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

For the record, the ACTUAL director of DEMONLOVER, Olivier Assayas, has a  pretty good film in limited distribution right now called SOMETHING IN THE AIR that is worth seeing.

R_F_Fineman wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 2:31pm:

Here's an actual review:
Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2