WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
STAR WARS insanity: New Star Wars film on the way (Read 23123 times)
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 2:53am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Peter Mayhew's (Chewbacca) on the set STAR WARS photos:

Includes this one:

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 6:25pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Is the STAR WARS universe about to be Chainsawed!??

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe
And good riddance, because almost all of it is crap.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:11pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

This has been the case with roughly every piece of tie-in media ever, with the apparent exception of Doctor Who.  Heck, Star Wars already went through it once, as it was understood that Lucas had the ability to moot anything that had been mentioned in other media when he made the prequels.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 8:11pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Not the droid we're looking for....

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 9:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I don't think that's quite right. Most franchises like STAR TREK, HARRY POTTER and the Lucasfilm controlled STAR WARS, seemed to have had a pretty laissez-faire outlook on offshoots, alternate worlds and fan-based projects as long as they didn't violate their trademarks.

I think Disney is being more aggressive here than the norm. And, Disney has traditionally been the most INflexible of all Hollywood players in that regard for decades. That's a major reason why so many in the industry were shocked that Disney didn't go after ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW (in that case, the Mouse House was smart since the film sank without much of a trace once it got out of the hothouse Festival circuit)

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:11pm:
This has been the case with roughly every piece of tie-in media ever, with the apparent exception of Doctor Who.  Heck, Star Wars already went through it once, as it was understood that Lucas had the ability to moot anything that had been mentioned in other media when he made the prequels.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 5:55pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 9:15pm:
I don't think that's quite right. Most franchises like STAR TREK, HARRY POTTER and the Lucasfilm controlled STAR WARS, seemed to have had a pretty laissez-faire outlook on offshoots, alternate worlds and fan-based projects as long as they didn't violate their trademarks.

I think Disney is being more aggressive here than the norm. And, Disney has traditionally been the most INflexible of all Hollywood players in that regard for decades. That's a major reason why so many in the industry were shocked that Disney didn't go after ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW (in that case, the Mouse House was smart since the film sank without much of a trace once it got out of the hothouse Festival circuit)

I think Disney took a look at Escape From Tomorrow and just decided that it was too arty to bother with.
What MIGHT come back to bite them later is that anyone else pulling the same trick at the parks can now use that film as a reason they can make their film.

As to the Star Wars offshoots, if the Lucas prequel trilogy could not kill the franchise you have to wonder if anything can.
Disney does look like they are going to try as not a week goes by without an announcement of a new project be it TV show (animated or live action) or a new rumor of who will star in episode 7 or what character will get a spinoff movie.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 8:06am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Cosmos host Neil DeGrasse Tyson weighs in on Trek vs Star Wars:

http://www.businessinsider.com/neil-degrasse-tyson-cosmos-star-trek-star-wars-20...

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Apparently,  a long long ago time, David Cronenberg was asked if he wanted to direct a STAR WARS sequel. He turned it down out of hand.

Would it have been great? Awful? Who knows!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/celebrity-news/the-a-list/david-cronenberg-s...

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2014 at 8:01am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2