WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
STAR WARS insanity: New Star Wars film on the way (Read 23120 times)
Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:43pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Well, the warm and fuzzy George Lucas has reached it's ultimate point - he's letting Lucasfilm be bought out by Disney.

And, to 'sweeten' the deal, Lucas is going to put out a whole new line of toys - oh, yeah, and STAR WARS 7 as well.

What came first, the toy or the movie?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-star-wars-7_n_204...

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:16pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

Makes me think... replacing Jar Jar Binks with Mickey Mouse may have possibilities... Episode VII: Revenge of the Cheese.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:54pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:43pm:
oh, yeah, and STAR WARS 7 as well.

I'll bet we still cant get prints of the first trilogy.
     The only even half-way decent entry in the series was the very first one, which was nothing more than an AIP movie done right (and immensely enjoyable for being that & only that).  Each successive sequel has been exponentially lousier than its predecessor.  So, Empire was two times worse than New Hope; Return was four times crummier than Empire; Phantom was sixteen times worse than Return; Clone was two hundred fiftysix times worse; Sith was 65,536 times worse, & this latest piece of regurgitated pig swill will be (wait for it) 4,294,967,296 times worse.  Give me Brainstorm, Journey to the Seventh Planet, The Giant Gila Monster (complete with song), or The Apple any day.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dragonator wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:16pm:
Makes me think... replacing Jar Jar Binks with Mickey Mouse may have possibilities... Episode VII: Revenge of the Cheese.

Lucas could always CGI the ending for RETURN OF THE JEDI and re-cast the Ewoks as Mickey, Donald Duck, the Seven Dwarves etc etc.

Here is a computer simulation Lucasfilm ran with Lucas himself standing in for Mark Hammil:

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 4:04pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Could this be why the Disney Execs were so down on "John Carter"? They were planning on acquiring a pre-sold sci-fi franchise. Too bad, as I'd rather see an adaptation of Burroughs' "Gods of Mars" than more whines and beeps from C3PO and R2D2.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 9:45pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Who knew the Disney deal with George Lucas included Cleaning Work???

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 12:09am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 9:45pm:
Who knew the Disney deal with George Lucas included Cleaning Work???

[img]

Since those stormtrooper and clone troopers can't shoot worth a damn, they might as well find some way they can useful.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 1:05pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Zack Snyder is rumoured to be making a new STAR WARS film that has been described as "SEVEN SAMURAI IN SPACE".... http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/14/zack-snyder-is-making-a-star-wars-movie-and-t...

Hmmmm. Sounds familiar Marathathoids, no?

You see Roger Corman and writer John Sayles did this 30 years age with 2-time Marathon entry, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (with Special Effects work by James Cameron, no less).

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 1:18pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

twice? i'd like to see it again.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 2:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 1:18pm:

Yup, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (aka STAR WARS Episode Samurai) was shown at SF/6 and SF/11.

Trivia: When BATTLE debuted on Network TV they actually optically zoomed in on shots of Sybil Danning to lessen the amount of cleavage shown! Boy, have times changed.....

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 11:01pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Jan 15th, 2013 at 1:18pm:

I think I saw Battle Beyond The Stars four times at the 2 marathon showings alone. Something in the film really connected with me. I think it's the offbeat humor of the characters.
For some reason it has the tiniest end credits I have ever seen (okay, tried to see.) Even on the big screen you cannot read them.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2013 at 11:16pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I actually PAID to see BATTLE at a suburban multiplex! It's kind of a fun film, though I disagree with a certain person's idea of showing it twice in 5 years.

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 8:29pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I found a trailer for the new film - - -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 11:20am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Rumor has it there's a REAL trailer for the Mouse House Star Wars -7, but all I can find are those irritating fan-made videos based on the video game.

Real? fake? It's the closest I could find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL7fxzy2Vg

This too is floating around:

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:49pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Carrie Fisher to return as Princess Leia...

Quote:
Rumors have popped up that Harrison Ford will also return to the "Star Wars" universe to reprise the role of Han Solo. And what of Luke himself?

Mark Hamil said last month that George Lucas has spoken to the main cast to see if they'd want to reprise their roles. Hamil also revealed that Lucas would not recast any of the roles and would simply write out the character of any actor who declined to return.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57572838-93/carrie-fisher-to-return-as-leia-in-...

I expect the next news item to read: "Psychic mediums in contact with the late Sir Alec Guinness confirm that he will reprise his role, whether he likes it or not." Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2