WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

F**k Me, Ray Bradbury RIP (Read 7614 times)
Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:08am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Enjoy the golden apples of the sun and sip some dandelion wine as you can now take a million year picnic.  Thanks for all of the stories.  I am happy that I got to meet and thank the man in person.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:27am

Jon   Offline
MA

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:29am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Wow. This is a major one.

Truly one of the greats. We could do a 36 hour marathon of films based and influenced by his work and not scratch the surface.

I too got the chance to meet and shake THE hand that wrote his works that meant so much to so many.

I saw him at several panels at Comic-Con. My all-time favorite was one with Bradbury, Forrest Ackerman and Ray Harryhausen - friends for decades. Now, Ray is the only one that survives.

A true great.

Cry

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:40pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

he had intense fear of flying. he said "i'm not afraid of flying. i'm afraid of crashing". i wonder what his last words were. would "fahrenheit 451" be a fitting tribute?  it hasn't played in a while.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:35pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

There's a priceless film interview in one of our sci-fi movie box sets that includes Ray and Ray telling this story together as only old friends can:

Quote:
While visiting his friend Ray Harryhausen on the set, Ray Bradbury was given a copy of the script (which was going under the working title "Monster From the Sea") and was asked if he could possibly do some rewriting on it. After reading the script, Bradbury remarked about a scene in the story (which featured the monster destroying a lighthouse) that seemed very similar to a short story that he had published in "The Saturday Evening Post" several years earlier called "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms". Bradbury's story was about a dinosaur that destroys a lighthouse. The next day Bradbury received a telegram offering to buy the film rights to the story. After the sale, the films title was changed to "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms". Years later when Bradbury had his story reprinted he changed the title to "The Fog Horn".

Both Rays told the story with a good natured chuckle. Today the story would still be in the hands of copyright lawyers.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:55pm

Metaluna   Offline

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:14pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Metaluna wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:55pm:

Broken link.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:37pm

Metaluna   Offline

Caleb451 wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:14pm:

It probably got taken down because it was getting a lot of traffic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLuDOEuwwso

We saw this at the marathon. I like it better than the F*ck me one. It's got a cat.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged