WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Comic-Con Episode IV:A Fan's Hope (Read 10800 times)
Apr 17th, 2012 at 6:41pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

A new documentary by the director of Super Size Me and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. This takes a look at Comic Con the biggest sci-fi/fantasy/comic convention in the US with attendance regularly over 100.000. A fun movie with a lot of heart it follows 6 people attending the con for various reasons ranging from starting a career to trying to save their business to a marriage proposal. Along the way are comments from celebrity fans and regular fans. the word geek is used quite a bit but in a friendly way, mostly by people who consider themselves one and are proud of it. We hear stories about things that have happened at the con (one celeb talks about Stan Lee swerving into the ladies room to avoid him.) And a lot of stories about going and feeling you've found your tribe for the first time.
Covering all points you even get to hear long time attendees talking about how comics fandom is slowly being pushed out of the con.

Check it out on Video On Demand, well worth a look and perhaps even a place at SF38

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 8:11pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

While I'm with you on "Cabin In the Woods", I have my concerns about "Comic-Con Episode 4: A Fan's Hope" being a good fit at the 'thon. Remember the uncomfortable exprience that was "Trekkies" back in the Cooldge days? All of the buzz on the film was about how it was "an affectionate and humorous look at fandom..." and something other than a hatchet job on unsuspecting "Star Trek" fans.

Nope, it was just a hatchet job. Angry

I have to wonder to what degree a movie with Seth Rogen, Seth Green and Kevin Smith can really be a documentary about the fans as opposed to a documentary about the contempt in which the industry holds the fans? Please tell me I'm wrong, but Spurlock hasn't done much but famously snarky monologues in the past.

One IMDB reviewer actually praises Spurlock for not putting himself in the movie. Praise indeed....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605782/ Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 8:22pm

Metaluna   Offline

I enjoyed Trekkies. Especially paired with Galaxy Quest. That was one of the Great Moments in Marathon History IMHO.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 8:35pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

how could anyone be critical of trekkies?? i sat in the front of the theater and when the lights went up at the end of trekkies there was universal elation. and this was at hour 22 of the marathon. it was a perfect lead in for galaxy quest. i recall ed and garen arm in arm standing by the exit at the end of the marathon. they were so happy.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 9:35pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Me:
Quote:
Trekkies...mean spirited...snarky

Metaluna:
Quote:
I enjoyed Trekkies.

There you have it. Wink

Kirok:
Quote:
universal elation

Of course there was "Universal Elation" it was produced by Paramount! Wink

As far as people: I sat next to a longtime friend who financed his house downpayment by the sale of his extensive Star Trek collection. He was deeply offended. it turns out Patrick Stewart was also offended by the film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120370/board/nest/84168123?d=84168123&p=1#84168123

Here's one of the film's "affectionate" looks at fandom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C9ghP0QMmE&feature=related

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:41am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 9:35pm:
Me:
Quote:

Metaluna:
Quote:
I enjoyed Trekkies.

There you have it. Wink

Kirok:
Quote:
universal elation

As far as people: I sat next to a longtime friend who financed his house downpayment by the sale of his extensive Star Trek collection. He was deeply offended. it turns out Patrick Stewart was also offended by the film:

Stewart was probably offended because he could not charge his usual $125.00 for an autograph and photo. 

I enjoyed Trekkies as did everyone that I spoke to at the theater.  Great movie for Star Trek fans and strangers alike. 

Damn this doc for pointing out that there are weird Star Trek fans.  Until then it was just a dirty little secret I guess.   It's a good thing that other interests and pastimes don't have such rabid fans.  Cheesy

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:47am

kirok   Offline
God Member

Frank wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:41am:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 9:35pm:
Me:
Quote:

Metaluna:
Quote:
I enjoyed Trekkies.

There you have it. Wink

Kirok:
Quote:
universal elation

Stewart was probably offended because he could not charge his usual $125.00 for an autograph and photo. 

I enjoyed Trekkies as did everyone that I spoke to at the theater.  Great movie for Star Trek fans and strangers alike. 

Damn this doc for pointing out that there are weird Star Trek fans.  Until then it was just a dirty little secret I guess.   It's a good thing that other interests and pastimes don't have such rabid fans.  Cheesy

the guy who built his own captain pike mobile was funny.
i loved the totally anal kid. "the epaulettes on this uniform are non authentic and the color is not a perfect match"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 9:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I loved Trekkies myself, yes it had some silliness but remember the time and how fandom was regarded. This was a major documentary release with some critical reviews loving it. Many fans have thin skins about their fandom and would be just as happy if no one knew they were part of it except other fans (try being a furry when someone mentions the CSI ep of years back.)
Want to see a REAL hatchet job docu, check out "Damn It Jim, I'm Only A Documentary" but even that just points the camera and lets's the fans go nuts. (a french Canadian Klingon really comes off well though.)

Anyway, I stand by my opinion of Comic Con being a good fit for a marathon slot.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 8:04pm

Caleb451   Online
NYC

I fondly remember the Trekkies/Galaxy Quest programming as one of the historical highlights of the Marathon.
Sorry it wasn't as positive for everyone.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 7:56am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Metaluna:
Quote:
I enjoyed Trekkies. Especially paired with Galaxy Quest.

Caleb:
Quote:
I fondly remember the Trekkies/Galaxy Quest programming as one of the historical highlights of the Marathon.
Sorry it wasn't as positive for everyone.

"Pairing"?  The great "Galaxy Quest" rightfully ran in the honored last slot at SF26 and "Trekkies" ran before it. (The same year "Battlefield Earth" and "Species" also ran back to back.)

Except for both using a sci-fi convention as a setting, I don't see much to compare the two.

"Galaxy Quest" had one of the finest sci-fi comedy scripts ever written. "Trekkies" was unscripted.

"Galaxy Quest" had top-notched cinematography, editing and state of the art special effects. "Trekkies" was shot with one camera that sometimes shook.

"Galaxy Quest" had a highly talented cast that knew how to be funny. The interviewees of "Trekkies" didn't know they were being funny.

I just don't think that those two movies were meant to be a couple. Wink

"Oh that's just not right!"

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 11:42am

kirok   Offline
God Member

face it r_f_ . you are in the minority.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:31pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

kirok:
Quote:

And proud of it! Have you seen the top-grossing movies lately?

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=world-wide

"Transformers II", "Twilight(s)", "Hangover II, "Phantom Menace"...  Wink

If you think this opinion is controversial, wait till I start a thread on how highly I esteem John Boorman's "Zardoz".

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:43pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:31pm:
kirok:
Quote:

And proud of it! Have you seen the top-grossing movies lately?

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=world-wide

"Transformers II", "Twilight(s)", "Hangover II, "Phantom Menace"...  Wink

If you think this opinion is controversial, wait till I start a thread on how highly I esteem John Boorman's "Zardoz".

Too late to the party there I am afraid.  Quite a few folks here enjoy Zardoz.   

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2012 at 4:51pm by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged