WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 
Marathon Memorabilia: Bunnyman Files (Read 214001 times)
Reply #210 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 5:26pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

what a shame that the missing scene from "the last woman on earth" was not salvaged as was the missing footage from "the silent earth". and i do have the dvd. the scene had the unmarried man walking down the beach and he comes upon a well preserved cadaver of a pretty young brunette. she's fully clothed. there are no words but we all know what is going through the guys mind. he walks away forlornly. i wonder (not often) what our audience reaction would have been? some would have said ala bevis and butthead "go for it dude". followed by loud hissing.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #211 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 5:39pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

And now a trip all the way back to 2012. Rise of The Planet of The Apes was great to see but really too recent since it was a surprise hit from summer 2011. Brainstorm was good, it had a real 80s feel to it. It actually seemed to have aged better than i thought it would. War of the Satellites, a Corman film I had not seen, a LOT weirder than I thought it was going to be. Endhiran, truly insane mixing over the top CGI effects with the Indian love for putting musical numbers in every film. A real trip and a half. Attack The Block, aliens attack a bad neighborhood, lots of fun and really nasty creatures. Often needed subtitles though. Island of Lost Souls, still creepy after 80 years. Seemed to really surprise some of the younger audience. Frankenstein, Bride is better but this still plays well, a little creaky at times but still able to amaze with the performances of Karloff, Clive and Frye. Re-Animator a perfect early morning film. Paul, sigh, any fan who has ever taken a road trip to a convention has dreamed of this happening. Really appreciated by the marathon crowd and a definite film for a future repeat showing. Mission Galactica:The Cylon Attack a couple of episodes of the old series cobbled together with no frills even in the credits. Folklore, would've maybe made a good 5 minute sketch but as a full length film it was horrible. This and Galactica made a poor ending, but there is always next year.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #212 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 7:47pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks again, Bunnyman for keeping this going as we approach the end...er...the present, at least.

SF/37?

RISE OF THE APES was fun - looking forward to the sequel. BRAINSTORM was a bit disappointing and the sound was too low - but, Pubic Hair in a PG film?!! And, damn, I had forgotten how out there Christopher Walken already was by 1983! And, I've got to say that Walken and Natalie Wood are one of the most unlikely screen couples of the era!

ENDHIRAN - what can you say? It's a whole lotta movie! Still amazes me to hear stories of folks running out to dinner and coming back and still seeing 10 more song & dance sequences! My dinner break was ATTACK THE BLOCK which I'd seen and sorta liked, but, I knew it would go over well with this crowd. PAUL (which I had wanted to show as a closer) served as a nice sunrise feel good flick.

DIMENSIONS was one of the more low key "Premieres" we've had, but, the filmmakers were good guests and actually stuck around for the duration.

The quartet of 'horror' films made for a good late nite block with FRANKENSTEIN & ISLAND OF LOST SOULS still wowing a remarkable 80 years after they were made! RE-ANIMATOR can still offend more than 2 decades later - and, that's a good thing!  Cool
SCANNERS was another early Cronenberg that, while showing promise, isn't as good as folks' memories of it.  Undecided 

Add in Corman's WAR OF THE SATELLITES and there was plenty of old school material - perhaps, too much. And, don't forget Bruce's personally licensed print of BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA which made it's marathon return after far too long.

A couple of other 'eh' additions were COWBOY BEBOP and MISSION GALACTICA. Sure, the feature version of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA was a cool addition the year before, but, back-to-back? And, COWBOY was for fans only. Not bad, but, I had no idea what was going on.

There was one last movie. What was it? Not much more to be said about FOLKLORE.

DEATH MATCH QUESTION:

The doors are sealed shut at the Marathon some future year. You can't escape. Nobody is let out. You MUST watch EITHER:

MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH

or

FOLKLORE

Which would YOU choose???

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 5:39pm:
[img][img][img][img][img][img][img]

And now a trip all the way back to 2012. Rise of The Planet of The Apes was great to see but really too recent since it was a surprise hit from summer 2011. Brainstorm was good, it had a real 80s feel to it. It actually seemed to have aged better than i thought it would. War of the Satellites, a Corman film I had not seen, a LOT weirder than I thought it was going to be. Endhiran, truly insane mixing over the top CGI effects with the Indian love for putting musical numbers in every film. A real trip and a half. Attack The Block, aliens attack a bad neighborhood, lots of fun and really nasty creatures. Often needed subtitles though. Island of Lost Souls, still creepy after 80 years. Seemed to really surprise some of the younger audience. Frankenstein, Bride is better but this still plays well, a little creaky at times but still able to amaze with the performances of Karloff, Clive and Frye. Re-Animator a perfect early morning film. Paul, sigh, any fan who has ever taken a road trip to a convention has dreamed of this happening. Really appreciated by the marathon crowd and a definite film for a future repeat showing. Mission Galactica:The Cylon Attack a couple of episodes of the old series cobbled together with no frills even in the credits. Folklore, would've maybe made a good 5 minute sketch but as a full length film it was horrible. This and Galactica made a poor ending, but there is always next year.

IP Logged

Reply #213 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:20pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Here are various tickets, announcements and of course buttons since our return to The Somerville Theater.
No official buttons were issued for SF34 & 35 that I know of.

IP Logged

Reply #214 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:30pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

..................http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb475/Bunnyman57/Return%20to%20the%20Somervi...

And here we are at this years program. Bringing us up to date as of today 07/13/13.
John Carter made me wonder again why this was called a bomb, a really good fantasy/action film. Reptilicus was just as bad and fun as I remembered from the old Creature Double Feature days. Johnny X did not work for me. War of the Worlds Goliath did, a good animated film, really just a pilot for a series. Battle Royale, great finally seeing this on the big screen. Safety Not Guaranteed, one of those little sci fi films that always slip by, really fun and kept you guessing till the end. Great seeing Shrinking Man again. I skipped Phase IV and as a bonus missed Motivational Growth. V For Vendetta, wonderful adaption of the Alan Moore comic series, made me want to see Watchmen at a future marathon. Escape From L.A., I see why I did miss this, other than seeing Snake Plissken again it really was pretty bad. The Fifth Element goofy as hell sci-fi, lots to see and good action.

IP Logged

Reply #215 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:54pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

I believe I've mentioned this before on these pages -- "The Fifth Element" has some of the best editing in contemporary film. Done with real wit and style by Sylvie Landra, who also edited Luc Besson's "The Professional" and "The Messenger." Check out some of the segues in "Element" next time you see it.

IP Logged

Reply #216 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:57pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ed symkus wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:54pm:
I believe I've mentioned this before on these pages -- "The Fifth Element" has some of the best editing in contemporary film. Done with real wit and style by Sylvie Landra, who also edited Luc Besson's "The Professional" and "The Messenger." Check out some of the segues in "Element" next time you see it.

Honestly, the rest of the film is so annoying and borderline incompetent that I couldn't tell..........
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:46am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #217 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:18pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Just want to give a quick THANKS to all at SF39 who mentioned liking my postings of the marathon memorabilia here.

IP Logged

Reply #218 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:47pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF39 ticket announcement, ticket and program.

Taking place in a one day break between snowstorms SF39 was a great success with the theater even more crowded than last year. It also looked like a lot more folks stayed till the very end.
A fun closing film helped too.
First Men In The Moon- a tribute to the recently deceased Ray Harryhausen, the films got a good sense of humor that has made it age well. Westworld- After being requested for decades it finally shows up. Went over well. Coherence- Fun little indie film that really gets you interested. One of the stars was in attendance and made the mistake of trying one of our traditional Atomic Fireballs. The Power- George Pal's last film. Not a great way to end his career, some good scenes but looks like it was badly edited. Europa Report-Shows that a realistic space exploration film can be interesting and exciting. Silent Running- Bruce Dern in a white caftan eating melons in space, has not aged well. The Truman Show- About a guy living in a reality show. Still interesting and worth another look. The Visitor- 70s drive in schlock at its weirdest. Lots of name stars cashing a check in a story that makes little sense. World, The Flesh And The Devil- The last 3 people on earth try to get along. A little pretentious but not bad. Grabbers- Irish monster comedy where alcohol saves them from alien creatures. This means something. Children Of Men- The world goes crazy when no children are born for years. A bit too depressing for almost the end of the marathon. Luckily the last film was Flash Gordon- This does seem to be getting better with age, the crowd loved it too. Sam Jones and the film were somewhat redeemed by appearing in the hit comedy Ted.
Next year SF40 a huge anniversary for the event.      

IP Logged

Reply #219 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 8:51pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The SF festival that precedes the marathon became an even bigger success this year with some sellouts. This despite screenings having to be re-scheduled because of a few snowstorms during the week.

IP Logged

Reply #220 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:16pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'm posting this one separate since as you can see mine fell victim to water! I can understand not being dishwasher safe but you can see the waterline that washed out some of the design.
Anyone want to post one in better shape?

SF8, 1973, The Orson Welles Cinema and the very first marathon mug makes it's appearance among souvenirs for sale. PLUS the traditional unlimited coffee refills (a marathon mug tradition.) I believe the mugs stayed on sale for the rest of the marathons at the Welles.

IP Logged

Reply #221 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:33pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

The second marathon mug, two sided but with the same message repeated on the other side. They appeared just as we lost our second home at The Somerville Theater.

... ...

SF17 and we begin the tradition of a new mug every year.

... ...

SF18 and the marathon comes of (legal) age. I always liked this design.

...  ...

One of the years with an actual theme. The SF19 mug is another fun design.

IP Logged

Reply #222 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 10:01pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

... ...

SF20 mug

... ...

SF21

... ...

SF22, nice variation of the basic rocketship design with new info on the other side each year.

... ... ...

SF23 the first with a wrap around design

IP Logged

Reply #223 - Mar 7th, 2014 at 9:28pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF24 mug, yes a plastic travel mug. One of 2 mugs that broke the pattern of a standard ceramic coffee mug each year.

SF25 this one was a real pain to photograph.

... ...

SF26 one of my favorite designs for the theme "Bad Girls From Outer Space".

... ...

SF27

IP Logged

Reply #224 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:16pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

SF28, the other odd mug out, but it does have a certain style to it.

SF29, another panoramic mug.

SF30

SF31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16