WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
ZARDOZ Official Thread (for Ed Symkus) (Read 46081 times)
Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 7:37pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I remember when ZARDOZ played at SF/17 (1993?) that there was a pretty vocal reaction! Garen got up and asked the crowd what they thought of it. There was lots of boos and hissing (some loud cheers and claps, too). Garen used his ole "I love it when your angry" retort.
Hey, it IS a Love it or Leave it kind of film. But, that can be a good thing at the Marathon. You don't want the audience to just sit there and shrug.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:30pm

Joe Neff   Offline

Yes...or as the kids on the interwebs say "THIS."  You might not like ZARDOZ, but as a group viewing experience it would at least be interesting and perhaps unpredictable.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 12:00am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:30pm:
You might not like ZARDOZ, but as a group viewing experience it would at least be interesting and perhaps unpredictable.

Oh, it would be predictable, all right.  I predict youd see a lot of faces with WTF??? expressions on them! Cheesy

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 7:17pm

Dragonator   Offline
YaBB Newbies
"They're made out of meat!"

Please let's LEAVE IT!  No Zardoz.  Case closed.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 7:57pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i never watched the entire zardoz until it played at the marathon. on the whole it's a bad movie but a very positive marathon experience. the revelation of what zardoz is becomes a group wtf moment. and the audience reaction to the wordless epilogue was howls of laughter. i'd say save zardoz for a sean connery honorarium.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 10:57pm

Metaluna   Offline

Dragonator wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 at 7:17pm:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 12:03am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dragonator wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 at 7:17pm:

Sounds like a ringing Endorsement to me!! If it's that 'controversial' - we NEED to show it!

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 10:30am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 5th, 2011 at 12:03am:
Sounds like a ringing Endorsement to me!! If it's that 'controversial' - we NEED to show it!

Tony, no offense or anything, but what is with this screaming desire of yours to show the worst slime-encrusted flotsam you can exhume?
     Zardoz is a lousy movie.  You wont be able to secure a print, because it's from Fox, & Fox has been scrapping all the release prints of their back titles for years, now.  The rest have been thrown over to Criterion, and, even if they somehow do have a print, it will be an original, and -- once again -- it will be FADED.  So, not only a crummy movie, but crummy presentation on top of it!  Not cool, Tony, not cool.  (Maybe you could secure a vault print from Fox, but the chances are very high that the colour in it, too, will have turned.)
     Why not unearth Blood Beach, for Chissakes?  Or Boogeyman?  Or My Bloody Valentine?  Or Event Horizon?  You could fill the entire thon with crap!  (Not that anything we say on this board matters, cause Garen never even glances at it.)
     Why not concentrate on some fun, decent flicks that everyone can enjoy, instead of promoting titles that are insipid, boring, dated, & narcolepsy-inducing?  There are plenty of them out there, but they dont include frigging Zardoz & Rollerball.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 12:23pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

David the Projectionist wrote on Dec 5th, 2011 at 10:30am:
    You could fill the entire thon with crap! 

we did that one year back in the early 90's or late 80's. i think it was the year we showed starbeast. i still had a good time.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 1:37pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

should we have a like button?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:17pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
David the Projectionist:    what is with this screaming desire of yours to show the worst slime-encrusted flotsam you can exhume?...You could fill the entire thon with crap!...promoting titles that are insipid, boring, dated, & narcolepsy-inducing?

Dave, I get the feeling you may not be altogether happy with the proposed films. I'm all for Zardoz, Brainwaves, Rollerball etc. and even propose a theme:

"2012: The Year We Stick It to Dave the Projectionist!"
Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:29pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Hey, wasn't Dave all for "so bad it's good" last year?  I wonder what prompted the change of heart; was he stuck playing Transformers 3 on the main screen for a month or something this summer?

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:46pm

Metaluna   Offline

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Dave, I get the feeling you may not be altogether happy with the proposed films. I'm all for Zardoz, Brainwaves, Rollerball etc. and even propose a theme:

"2012: The Year We Stick It to Dave the Projectionist!"
Wink

I would so buy that T shirt.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:55pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

poor dave.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 3:24pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First of all, I started this thread as a sop to Ed Symkus who always likes to bring up ZARDOZ as his pet Marathon film. I wouldn't mind seeing it again either. By the way - WHERE is Ed???? I've tried emailing him and sending a message via Facebook.

Second, Fox struck a new ZARDOZ print in 2008 and it's played L.A.. It also has played within the last year or two in other venues.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4