WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
Re: Today's News Stories (Read 262519 times)
Reply #90 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 10:14pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I always figured that the Norwegians would get there first

MacReady:
I dunno, it's like this: thousands of years ago this spaceship crashes, and this thing, whatever it is... gets thrown out or crawls out and it ends up freezing in the ice.
Garry:
So, the Norwegians find it, and they dig it out of the ice...
MacReady:
That's right, Garry. They dig it up. They cart it back to their base. It gets thawed out, it wakes up, probaly not the best of moods, and... I don't know, I wasn't there!
Childs:
How could this motherfutter wake up after thousands of years frozen in the ice?
George Bennings:
And how can it make itself look like a dog?
MacReady:
I don't know. Because it's different then us. Because it's from outer space. What more do you want from me? Ask Blair!

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #91 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 8:51pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Recent occurrences of madness in Arkham MA and the discovery of horribly mutilated library books at the library of Miskatonic University have followed the news of the Russians tapping an enormous lake under the Antarctic ice cap.
Those aware of the Cthulu Mythos or the recent movie The Call of Cthulu should check out the news of the Russians tapping a "Gigantic freshwater lake hidden under miles of ice for millions of years"(AP)http://universe.byu.edu/index.php/2012/02/09/ap-in-scientific-coup-russians-reac...
Looking at the Wikipedia article on H.P. Lovecraft you will find that, "Eventually, as Antarctica became uninhabitable even for the Elder Things, they migrated into a large, subterranean ocean."
Be afraid

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #92 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 8:44pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

I just interviewed Garen for a piece about the Marathon scheduled for this week's Somerville Journal (I think it's published on Thursday). He was erudite, or something like that. It'll also be somewhere on this site: http://www.wickedlocal.com/somerville

IP Logged

Reply #93 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 8:51pm

Joe Neff   Offline

"He was erudite, or something like that" would make one hell of a gravestone epitaph.

IP Logged

Reply #94 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 9:44pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Feb 13th, 2012 at 8:51pm:
"He was erudite, or something like that" would make one hell of a gravestone epitaph.

Geez, you guys are all wicked smaht....

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #95 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 8:30pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

The Truth is Out There!

Eisenhower Met With ETs Says Ex-Government Consultant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/eisenhower-met-aliens-says-timothy-good...

Quote:
Whether you believe this story or not, an interesting related side-story reared its head in 2010. A retired New Hampshire state representative, Henry McElroy Jr., taped an intriguing video announcement in which he revealed seeing a secret briefing document intended for Eisenhower.

This document, according to McElroy, contained information that aliens were in America and that Eisenhower could meet with them

I also know for a fact that Chief NASA Rocket Scientist Werhner von Braun was an alien*. -RF Smiley

*Alien n. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen.
source: American Heritage Dictionary

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #96 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 9:58pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 8:30pm:
The Truth is Out There!

Eisenhower Met With ETs Says Ex-Government Consultant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/eisenhower-met-aliens-says-timothy-good...

Quote:
Whether you believe this story or not, an interesting related side-story reared its head in 2010. A retired New Hampshire state representative, Henry McElroy Jr., taped an intriguing video announcement in which he revealed seeing a secret briefing document intended for Eisenhower.

This document, according to McElroy, contained information that aliens were in America and that Eisenhower could meet with them

I also know for a fact that Chief NASA Rocket Scientist Werhner von Braun was an alien*. -RF Smiley

*Alien n. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen.
source: American Heritage Dictionary

I Aim At The Stars, But I Often Hit England.

IP Logged

Reply #97 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 7:25am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Me:
I also know for a fact that Chief NASA Rocket Scientist Werhner von Braun was an alien*. -RF

Quote:
Frank:
I Aim At The Stars, But I Often Hit England.

Tom Lehrer sings of Wernher von Braun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7me25aNtI&feature=player_embedded

I've been saving this one for the right movie.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #98 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 4:45pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #99 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 7:23am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Bad news:

The Razzies are yet to be announced but critics are busy compiling the year's worst; eager, in Roger Ebert's words, to take one more crack at films that robbed precious hours from their lives:

From Time:
And the Worst Film of the Year Is Officially...

Quote:

Yes, it wouldn't be a proper worst-list without the usual suspects: "Twilight", Michael Bay, Nicole Kidman, Adam Sandler.. Wink.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #100 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:07pm

Metaluna   Offline

I think there might be a movie in this...

Goat Accents

Quote:
The scientists believe the goats are displaying the first stage in the evolutionary development of language. The next stage would be imitation, which some birds (hummingbirds, parrots and songbirds), bats, whales and dolphin have exhibited.

The study concludes that animals could one develop complex language like humans:

“This suggests an early step in the evolution of vocal communication, leading to the advanced and unique vocal-learning abilities found in humans, which allow us to speak.”

GET YOUR HOOVES OFF ME YOU DAMNED, DIRTY GOAT!

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #101 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:03pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Metaluna wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:07pm:
I think there might be a movie in this...

Goat Accents

Quote:
The scientists believe the goats are displaying the first stage in the evolutionary development of language. The next stage would be imitation, which some birds (hummingbirds, parrots and songbirds), bats, whales and dolphin have exhibited.

The study concludes that animals could one develop complex language like humans:

“This suggests an early step in the evolution of vocal communication, leading to the advanced and unique vocal-learning abilities found in humans, which allow us to speak.”

GET YOUR HOOVES OFF ME YOU DAMNED, DIRTY GOAT!

YOUR SPECIES PRODUCES MILK TOO, YA HOOFLESS BASTIDS.  MAKE YOUR OWN DAMNED CHEESE.

IP Logged

Reply #102 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Where's Kurt Russel when you need him?

Quote:
Alien Invasion Threatens Antarctic Ecosystem

SYDNEY (REUTERS) - In the pristine frozen continent of Antarctica scientists fear an alien invasion -- not from outer space, but carried in people's pockets and bags

http://news.yahoo.com/alien-invasion-threat-antarctic-ecosystem-030858080.html

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #103 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 4:18am

Metaluna   Offline

Today's news story quiz: identify the source of this headline:

Quote:
Huge solar storm races toward Earth
Earth's magnetic field is about to be shaken like a snow globe by the largest solar storm in years.

a) The Snow Globe That Ate Peoria
b) Solar Stormtroopers
c) Day of the Magnets
d) yesterday's Boston Globe

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #104 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:42pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20