WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Somerville Theatre News & Updates (Read 65179 times)
Reply #60 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 9:49pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:46pm:
COMING TO THE SOMERVILLE THEATRE THIS SUMMER!

We have midnights, & we have two director retrospectives!  ALL FILM PRINTS.  NO DIGITALMUST EMPHASIZE.

Yeah, but, do you have the newfangled Laser projection?

But, yes, I would love to see WILD BUNCH in 70mm.

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:36pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

JUST ANNOUNCED!

Our annual, sparsely-attended Hallowe'en Marathon hits the screen once again!  It would be nice if people actually showed up to watch the goddamn thing!

NOON to MIDNIGHT on 31 October!!

Here are the titles -- ALL FILM -- NO DIGITAL -- MUST EMPHASIZE

West of Zanzibar (1928)  Extremely scarce print!  Lon Chaney stars!  Jeff Rapsis plays!
        Dracula (1931)  We all know this one!
        The Monster That Challenged the World (1957)  Not just prehistoric mollusks!  Not just giant prehistoric mollusks!  Not just giant, prehistoric mollusks that inexplicably feed on people, but giant, prehistoric, people-eating radioactive mollusks!  Watch as pudgy Tim Holt, young Hans Conreid, & busty Audrey Dalton battle this terror from the sea!  Rarely shown!  Worth the price for this print alone!
        Seconds (1966)  John Frankenheimer's creepy movie about trying once again!  Those of you who have seen this know how good it is!
        Aliens (1986)  James Cameron's kick-ass movie!  Gorgeous print!
        The Lost Boys (1987)  If only these annoying vampires would move somewhere else!

Spread da woid!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 2:55pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hopefully, there will be a better turnout than in the past. I'd love to be there myself with ALIENS being a nice dinner-break flick (the 2nd most overrated SF film ever).

I could see MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD at the Marathon - pass the salt.  Wink

SECONDS has played the 'thon, but, might be worthy of a second shot.

Good luck with the screenings!

David the Projectionist wrote on Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:36pm:

JUST ANNOUNCED!

Our annual, sparsely-attended Hallowe'en Marathon hits the screen once again!  It would be nice if people actually showed up to watch the goddamn thing!

NOON to MIDNIGHT on 31 October!!

Here are the titles -- ALL FILM -- NO DIGITAL -- MUST EMPHASIZE

West of Zanzibar (1928)  Extremely scarce print!  Lon Chaney stars!  Jeff Rapsis plays!
        Dracula (1931)  We all know this one!
        The Monster That Challenged the World (1957)  Not just prehistoric mollusks!  Not just giant prehistoric mollusks!  Not just giant, prehistoric mollusks that inexplicably feed on people, but giant, prehistoric, people-eating radioactive mollusks!  Watch as pudgy Tim Holt, young Hans Conreid, & busty Audrey Dalton battle this terror from the sea!  Rarely shown!  Worth the price for this print alone!
        Seconds (1966)  John Frankenheimer's creepy movie about trying once again!  Those of you who have seen this know how good it is!
        Aliens (1986)  James Cameron's kick-ass movie!  Gorgeous print!
        The Lost Boys (1987)  If only these annoying vampires would move somewhere else!

Spread da woid!

[img]

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 2:55pm

albatross   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I wish I could make it, but the kids will want me around that night. Damn kids wanting to go trick or treating for candy....

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 6:52pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

ALSO JUST ANNOUNCED!

The Weinsteins have let us know that The Somerville Theatre -- along with our friendly competitor across the river, The Coolidge Corner -- have been selected to show the exclusive 70mm Ultra Panavision engagement of The Hateful Eight.

We worked hard to get this, & we did!  You wont see it better anywhere else!

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 10:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Oct 21st, 2015 at 6:52pm:
ALSO JUST ANNOUNCED!

The Weinsteins have let us know that The Somerville Theatre -- along with our friendly competitor across the river, The Coolidge Corner -- have been selected to show the exclusive 70mm Ultra Panavision engagement of The Hateful Eight.

too bad it's for a QT film! Can't you guys just sneak in another run of 2001 in 70mm instead? Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 5:13pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

David the Projectionist wrote on Oct 21st, 2015 at 6:52pm:
ALSO JUST ANNOUNCED!

Congrats on that.
Saw an article that they're only making up 100 copies of the 70MM print so it's a pretty exclusive club. Supposed to be 6 minutes longer than the one that will open wider in January. And that's not including the overture and intermission.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #67 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 5:45pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Oct 24th, 2015 at 5:13pm:
Saw an article that they're only making up 100 copies of the 70MM print so it's a pretty exclusive club.

It's actually an open question as to how many theatres will playing a 70mm print; the Weinsteins havent yet announced all the venues.
     It's also an open question as to whats going to be used as the printing element.  I guess I'll find out, sooner or later.

Quote:
Supposed to be 6 minutes longer than the one that will open wider in January.

Yes; hes on the record as saying hes recut the "television version."

Quote:
And that's not including the overture and intermission.

Intermissions have never been included in running times.
     Of course, I still have no idea who's going to be running a majority of these prints, so take it as a given that most of them will be trashed in the first weekend or so.  Not, however, at the Somerville.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 10:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Yeah I know you don't count intermission in a running time. Although Tarantino is saying the intermission for Hateful Eight will be 12 minutes. I think the last film I saw with an intermission was Grindhouse.
I remember running re-issues of Gone With The Wind and Dr. Zhivago and intermissions for those lasted as long as their were lines at the concession stand.

I was going by this article about the number of 70mm prints. And I misread it since it says they're trying to get UP TO 100 prints.
http://variety.com/2015/film/in-contention/quentin-tarantino-hateful-eight-roads...

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #69 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 12:03pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

So, any Terrorthon reviews and notes? Turnout??
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2015 at 1:10pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #70 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 2:07am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

As Dave pointed out at the start, they secured six pretty great prints for what was not a bad selection of movies at all.  The highlight for me was West of Zanzibar, whose racial attitudes may be pretty ugly but which is a fun silent melodrama beyond that.  I still can't say I love the Lugosi Dracula or Seconds the way I should, and Aliens is even more solidly in the same category as Terminator 2 for me (fine execution of a bigger scale that inadvertently loses much of what made the original great).  I'd never seen The Lost Boys, though, and that is a hoot.

Turnout...  Well, Ian said at the start that he kind of wished there were 500 more people there, but I understand that not being the case - noon to midnight on Halloween means sacrificing a lot of fun other activities, especially with the Coolidge's running at midnight the same day.  You kind of had to commit to this as your only Halloween activity, which is tough to do with a slate movies that, while good, has three probably seem more sci-fi than horror to many.

I wonder if a tighter theme would help.  Dave ran a lot of trailers for Corman/Price/Poe movies, and maybe just doing those as the marathon next year would be more enticing. I love that Ian & Dave build these things as chronological samplers across a broad range of films, but I don't know how many other potential ticket-buyers feel the same way.

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 2:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Too bad. It sounds like a great event that just isn't happening on the local scene.

I guess it shows that good intentions can't make up for the decades of history behind the Sci-Fi marathon that keeps people coming year after year.

Jay Seaver wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 2:07am:
As Dave pointed out at the start, they secured six pretty great prints for what was not a bad selection of movies at all.  The highlight for me was West of Zanzibar, whose racial attitudes may be pretty ugly but which is a fun silent melodrama beyond that.  I still can't say I love the Lugosi Dracula or Seconds the way I should, and Aliens is even more solidly in the same category as Terminator 2 for me (fine execution of a bigger scale that inadvertently loses much of what made the original great).  I'd never seen The Lost Boys, though, and that is a hoot.

Turnout...  Well, Ian said at the start that he kind of wished there were 500 more people there, but I understand that not being the case - noon to midnight on Halloween means sacrificing a lot of fun other activities, especially with the Coolidge's running at midnight the same day.  You kind of had to commit to this as your only Halloween activity, which is tough to do with a slate movies that, while good, has three probably seem more sci-fi than horror to many.

I wonder if a tighter theme would help.  Dave ran a lot of trailers for Corman/Price/Poe movies, and maybe just doing those as the marathon next year would be more enticing. I love that Ian & Dave build these things as chronological samplers across a broad range of films, but I don't know how many other potential ticket-buyers feel the same way.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 10:32am

Joe Neff   Offline

That's a great slate of films (and I do mean FILMS...always a pleasure to see David project from those magnificent machines), but as several of you have noted, there are probably a lot of factors working against the event in its current incarnation. Holding it on Halloween is challenging enough, and knowing that the Coolidge event is that night probably cuts into your audience even more. And as cool as the lineup is, it's leans too heavily on Sci-Fi titles and not enough on films that will appeal to a younger crowd (70s and 80s fare, a newer film or two.)

For decades now in Columbus, we've held the 24-Hour Horror Marathon at least one weekend before Halloween, and preferable the third weekend of the month. We had to move it one weekend later a few years back, and attendance dropped precipitously, mostly due to a large handful of regulars telling us that they had parties to attend that weekend.

With horror fandom in full flush these days, a 24-Hour Horror Marathon should be able to work at the Somerville...or even a reduced version. It would probably just take some tweaking of the concept.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5