WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Somerville Theatre News & Updates (Read 65010 times)
Oct 8th, 2011 at 2:08pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

It......LIVES!
     Well, here we go again.
     FYI: At the end of October, over Hallowe'en weekend, we will be running vault prints of Frankenstein & Psycho.  These are restricted to single reel, changeover booth only presentation.
     So come on down & give us some money!
     I'll post about print condition when they arrive.
     And we ran some spectacular stuff over the summer.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:02pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Also, on 12 November, Alloy Orchestra will be playing their music to Metropolis, the great-granddaddy of SF movies.  This is the new, expanded version, integrating footage that was thought to be lost forever.  It will, unfortunately, be projected digitally.  There seems to be one, and only one, 35mm print of this, it's being held in Germany, and they are not letting it out.  Ce la vie.
     In addition, after years of planning, we have exhumed the theatre's original orchestra pit, which was covered over in 1932.  I expect Alloy will be setting up in there.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 5:27pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

dave, i've heard alloys score and i've found it very wanting. it features 3 motifs that are repeated 6 times each during the course of the 3 hour movie. i use the term motif charitably. its the same 3 tunes 6 times each with varied tempo and volume. if at all possible convince the management to switch to the orchestral score on the dvd or give alloy a bad set of directions to somerville or otherwise divert them.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:43pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

Hooray! I am amazed that the load-bearing piano in the orchestra pit has finally been unearthed! Can't wait to see the new pit in person.

I will totally be there for Frankenstein and Metropolis, digital or no.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:20am

Metaluna   Offline

Spatch from the balcony wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:43pm:
Hooray! I am amazed that the load-bearing piano in the orchestra pit has finally been unearthed! Can't wait to see the new pit in person.

I will be there for Metropolis with my posse. And we have balcony seats so come over and say hello.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 7:05am

kirok   Offline
God Member

look for me there as well/ i'll be the smiling curmudgeon sporting a pair of bose noise reduction headphomes and listening to the original score.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:46am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 5:27pm:
dave, i've heard alloys score and i've found it very wanting. it features 3 motifs that are repeated 6 times each during the course of the 3 hour movie. i use the term motif charitably. its the same 3 tunes 6 times each with varied tempo and volume. if at all possible convince the management to switch to the orchestral score on the dvd or give alloy a bad set of directions to somerville or otherwise divert them.

Lets understand that I'm simply announcing -- to people on a SF board -- that a venerated SF movie is playing at a theatre at which I happen to work.
     I'm not commenting on the movie, because most people wouldnt like what I think about it.
     I'm not commenting on the music, because Alloy has hired me to do the projection.
     And I'm not commenting on Alloy in general, because they have rented the theatre, & their last showing of this sold completely out.  So they must be doing something right.  And theyre nice guys.
     So.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:50am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Can't wait to see the new pit in person.

It can also be covered up with boards.  Pretty cool.

Quote:

Metropolis will be projected digitally because, as I said, we have no choice in the matter.
     Frankenstein, on the other hand, will be a 35mm vault print.  So at least youll be able to see that right.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:31pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Hooray! I am amazed that the load-bearing piano in the orchestra pit has finally been unearthed!

Yes, that was exhumed after all these decades.  It was a concert grand, and at first I thought it was a Chickering -- a rare and valuable piano -- because that was the logo on the keyboard cover.  It turns out that it somehow isnt a Chickering, and no one has told me what it actually is.  Last I heard, it's sitting in a warehouse, & management is trying to decide what to do with it.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:34pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

The best way for me to sit through Metropolis again would be to run the 8mm Castle film version.  They need to start losing a few reels.  Now I understand the importance of the movie and its' place in movie history but I have seen enough versions of the thing to last me a few lifetimes.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:42pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Frank wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:34pm:
The best way for me to sit through Metropolis again would be to run the 8mm Castle film version.  They need to start losing a few reels.  Now I understand the importance of the movie and its' place in movie history but I have seen enough versions of the thing to last me a few lifetimes.

And Ive run so many differing versions of this it's not to be believed.
     This new one is the longest, by far.  They found some footage in Argentina, on a battered 16mm print that was struck from a deteriorating nitrate 35; the latter being the original, uncut release that had been thought lost.
     The aspect ratio (and print quality) changes radically when the 16mm print is used.  The scenes and shots from that adds to the running time.
     What also adds to it is the habit that DVD authors & film archivists have these days of slowing the frame rate down so that all the movement appears "normal," which certainly isnt how it was run originally.
     I will say that this version is far more coherent than the previous ones, which is a plus; but it also drags more in spots, which isnt.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:49pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

dave. would you be averse to plugging in an FM transmitter to the auxiliary audio output of the dvd player during your projection of metropolis? please get back to me on this.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:59pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:49pm:
dave. would you be averse to plugging in an FM transmitter to the auxiliary audio output of the dvd player during your projection of metropolis? please get back to me on this.

What an odd question.  I suppose it's possible.  I take it you want to hear the soundtrack thats on the disc?  And you think you can drown out the sound from Alloy?
     And wouldnt it be cheaper & easier to just watch the movie at home?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:17pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

stay home? i don't have an 80 foot screen that's why. is the original orchestral score on the dvd?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:20pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:17pm:
stay home? i don't have an 80 foot screen that's why.

Well, we dont have an 80 foot screen, either!  I think it's 31 feet wide.  It would be narrower for Metropolis.
     I wish we had an 80 foot screen.  What I could do with that....

Quote:
is the original orchestral score on the dvd?

I have no idea.  This is the disc:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Metropolis-Blu-ray-Brigitte-Helm/dp/B0040QYROK/re...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5