WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
SF/49 A theme announced: 1999 Party like it's (Read 3016 times)
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2023 at 6:33pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

David the Projectionist wrote on Oct 18th, 2023 at 9:48pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 16th, 2023 at 12:05am:
I like UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD but it's pretty long.

3.  Considering the precipitous decline in audience attendance, by all means choose some over-long, boring, wafer-thin-plotted onanistic exercise in self-indulgence that will take up nearly one-fifth of the Thon's running time so as to permanently chase away anyone new who might be interested in showing up.  Brilliant!
     4.  And, even better, lets run a BluRay because not only is a print not available, who could possibly object to paying out a high ticket price to watch something in a theatre that he/she/it could also run the exact same way at home?  Genius!
     5.  Heres a concept: lets run some movies that people might want to see, and not -- oh, lets pull a title or two out of a hat -- crap like UFOria & Future Kill.  Wouldnt that be something?
     6.  Dont give up your day jobs, guys.   Roll Eyes

Dave,
in case you hadn't noticed it is the year 2023 and the current flavor of the month is in fact a three hour movie.
i like prints  but i suffer no ill effects from a blue ray and your economic argument does not hold water because blu ray, craptastic fatures, increasing atendance fees and inflations impact on sno caps and popcorn have not deterred marathon attendence. i conservatively estimate that the audience has increased and new blood has been added to the marathon over the last ten years and the last ten years coud be characterized as the blu ray decade. call me a phillistine but the concept of appealing to the masses is far from a high ideal. i found the half cheers and half boos responce to "the man who fell to earth" to be a group thought provoking experience.

p.s. the election was stolen

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 9:28am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok1 wrote on Oct 24th, 2023 at 6:14pm:
UncleTim wrote on Oct 23rd, 2023 at 10:04am:
Also Future Kill may not be Citizen Kane but as an audience we had a ton of fun with it at last year's marathon.

if you want to choose an exemplar, it would be more appropriate to evoke alfred hitchcock's "vertigo" because it has usurped citizen kane and is now number 1 on the bfi list of greatest movies of all time.

VERTIGO has now been usurped to. The greatest is now  Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975)

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 7:23pm

kirok1   Offline

oh God! i thought we were done with frenchy cutesy. i got the trailer on imdb and thought, he must be joking. but it's true! a frenchy cutesy has been made #1 on the bfi top 100 list. this looks like the most boring piece of sh!t ever to be put on celluloid!! and it's 3 futting hours long. holy sh!t. what is the message? life sucks?

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2023 at 9:06pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Getting back to suggestions along the theme, I thought of a few movies set in 1999 that haven't played the marathon to my knowledge and might be fun:

Destroy All Monsters - Who doesn't love a big epic kaiju movie and it'd be a nice way to acknowledge Godzilla's 70th anniversary.

Class of 1999 - Violent schools with rampaging cyborg teachers. Silly and fun.

Prince of Darkness - Yes it's horror but sci-fi as well with telepathic messages from the far off year of 1999. It still remains one of John Carpenter's most underappreciated films.

Virtuosity - Another silly but fun one with Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, and a hilariously goofy conception of what virtual reality was supposed to be like.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2023 at 12:09pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

UncleTim wrote on Nov 2nd, 2023 at 9:06pm:
Getting back to suggestions along the theme, I thought of a few movies set in 1999 that haven't played the marathon to my knowledge and might be fun:

Destroy All Monsters - Who doesn't love a big epic kaiju movie and it'd be a nice way to acknowledge Godzilla's 70th anniversary.

Class of 1999 - Violent schools with rampaging cyborg teachers. Silly and fun.

Prince of Darkness - Yes it's horror but sci-fi as well with telepathic messages from the far off year of 1999. It still remains one of John Carpenter's most underappreciated films.

Virtuosity - Another silly but fun one with Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, and a hilariously goofy conception of what virtual reality was supposed to be like.

Thoughts?

Some offbeat picks there. How about DEEP BLUE SEA?

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2023 at 8:26am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 4th, 2023 at 12:09pm:
Some offbeat picks there. How about DEEP BLUE SEA?

I think that would be a great choice. I wasn't a huge fan of it but I bet the audience would have a lot of fun with that.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 12:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Any other ideas - not necessarily related to 1999. I doubt there will be more than 2 or 3 films from that year

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 11:31pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 15th, 2023 at 12:46pm:
Any other ideas - not necessarily related to 1999. I doubt there will be more than 2 or 3 films from that year

A few more fun and interesting ones that as far as I know have never played the 'Thon:

The Core - Big silly Irwin Allen style disaster is always a good time.

The World's End - While not as celebrated as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, it's just as brilliant.

Krull - Borderline whether one considers it more fantasy than sci-fi but it has travel to a different planet so I think it counts.

Dredd - Because it didn't get a fair shake in theaters and Karl Urban is awesome.

Ikarie XB 1 - Stark, fascinating space thriller that might be interesting due to its acknowledged influence on Stanley Kubrick for 2001. This one has played the 'Thon in its mangled dubbed version way back in SF3 but the original version is better.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 2:02am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

UncleTim wrote on Nov 15th, 2023 at 11:31pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 15th, 2023 at 12:46pm:

A few more fun and interesting ones that as far as I know have never played the 'Thon:

The Core - Big silly Irwin Allen style disaster is always a good time.

The World's End - While not as celebrated as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, it's just as brilliant.

Krull - Borderline whether one considers it more fantasy than sci-fi but it has travel to a different planet so I think it counts.

Dredd - Because it didn't get a fair shake in theaters and Karl Urban is awesome.

Ikarie XB 1 - Stark, fascinating space thriller that might be interesting due to its acknowledged influence on Stanley Kubrick for 2001. This one has played the 'Thon in its mangled dubbed version way back in SF3 but the original version is better.

IKARIE has been discussed. It did play the festival. It's simply one of the best SF films of the 60s

DREDD has been mentioned and I've long asked for KRULL myself

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 7:21pm

kirok1   Offline

i'll drag out my worn out and tattered list of choices that are hopelessly doomed to not play at the marathon:

what's so bad about feeling good? a virus induces feelings of well being in nyc. the federal government is called to stop the spread. starring mary tyler moore and a very funny scene involving surgical masks.

the man in the white suit. alec guiness invents an indestructible cloth.

star trek five. spock's half brother (was going to be played by sean connery God would i have loved to see that) find's God. critics panned it. fans followed the critics like lemmings. i think it is a great installment and very funny. give it the marathon test.

the core really sucks. don't do it.

the abominable snowman. with forrest tucker. sasquatch often gets confused with the abominable snowman yeti never complains.

team america . marionettes spoof. hilarious.

way way out. jerry lewis. this may really suck but in a good way.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 11:18pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

kirok1 wrote on Nov 16th, 2023 at 7:21pm:
the abominable snowman. with forrest tucker. sasquatch often gets confused with the abominable snowman yeti never complains.

Ooooh, Abominable Snowman would be a great choice!!

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 12:22am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

It is on Blu Ray, now that we don't have to worry about getting proper film prints or DCPs .

Not sure about rights issues.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Nov 24th, 2023 at 1:01pm

kirok1   Offline

how can you not show this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120157/

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Nov 26th, 2023 at 5:03pm

kirok1   Offline

and once again i ask for "cloud atlas"

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Dec 21st, 2023 at 2:31pm

kirok1   Offline

how is it that it has been announced that there are 13 movies at the marathon but there is no information on any feature titles?? bueuller...bueller... bueller...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3