WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
The BIG 50th Anniversary Marathon in February! FIRST FILM has been announced - the classic THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Chime in on your ideas and thoughts.
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
SUGGESTIONS FOR SF/50 POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Jan 16th, 2023 at 4:48pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

avatar 2 sucks. a solid 3 hours long. clashing themes.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 8:11pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The tech has really advanced in the last 13 years, Cameron's writing? No so much.

This is just a continuation. And, the: 'Here's another race, let's prove we can work together and be friends thing' took far far too long. An hour could have chopped out - and the movie would only have better in its pacing and story-telling. Far too much SFX show-boating.

Other random thoughts:

-- The plot is Avatar meets Born Free via Star Trek IV: Save The Whales by way of Dr. Dolittle.

-- Interesting that both Avatar 2 and Black Panther 2 have a focus on Sea People (Talokan in BP2)

-- The inter-breeding here reminded me of Ana Stelline, the Replicant/Human hybrid in BLADE RUNNER 2049

-- The Feral Boy (Spider) is a clear nod to the Feral Kid in THE ROAD WARRIOR. And, I didn't buy the final stand-off for a moment. It's a screenwriter's wishful script deus ex machina.

-- James Cameron can still direct action, but he really needs stronger co-writers. Especially, with dialogue

-- James Horner is missed. His theme is still here, but Simon Franglen's score is generic.

--- The HDR isn't as noticeable in 3D. When I flipped off my glasses, I noticed the 'video' look more.

Overall, it's ok, but, really just a fancy super-expensive "sequel". Not really excited about future sequels

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 10:26pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

feral children don't speak. the kid was raised by aliens. feral kids are raised by animals and or they live like animals. the misguided message is that aliens are animals. i take, i mean aliens would take offence to that.

IP Logged