WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

SF40 Review (Read 3107 times)
Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:30pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay, I feel recovered enough to try a marathon review.
First off the fact it even took place with no public transportation available and literally just after a blizzard ended was a great tribute to the marathoids new and old who attended.

The In Memoriam tribute was really well done. Very good clip selection.
Snowpiercer- very appropriate starter film. Slightly insane yet really a bit of a downer. The fact a frozen building looked just like the Alewife garage was pretty eerie.
Big plus was the singalong to Charlie On The MTA afterwards.
2001: A Space Odyssey- Haven't seen this in awhile, napped the last couple of marathon showings. Really looked great except for some weird white strobing early on. Having an intermission helped it not be too overwhelming. The Somerville's HUGE screen was really shown off to advantage too.
Interesting to hear from Doug Trmbull, scary when he almost took a header off the stage. Him zapping Garen with a raygun was a nice touch.
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari- Silent films with live music are always a treat. Caligari is just so over the top weird that it may be the ultimate silent film experience.
Prelude to Axanar- Interesting short, the idea of setting it up like a history channel documentary worked very well.
Fantassacherie- Kinda dragged, maing problem was segments never really seemed to connect to make a bigger story.
Them- Classic, always fun to watch with the marathon crowd. Should not work as well as it does but seems like you notice something else each time it runs, this time was noticing the female scientist was using a 3D still camera.
Moonraker- missed it for a nap.
The Day The Earth Stood Still-still napping (hey it's my 40th marathon, I've seen it a few times before.)
Twilight Zone-I Sing The Body Electric- A lesser known ep but a good Bradbury adaption and a nicely sentimental one.
Big Trouble In Little China- An out of place action fantasy but a lot of fun. Stands up rather well for its age.
Iron Giant- Sigh! Still consider this the last great American 2D animated film. As before, after the "Superman" line was almost total silence from the crowd except for people fighting back tears.
This Island Earth- The VERY FIRST marathon film returns. Not quite an 'A' film classic but a definite 'B' film must see space opera. Though looking back, very little takes place off earth.
Ducked out on the last film, had seen it before and was starting to feel my energy fade.
See you all at SF41

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:49pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Let's dump This Island Earth for a repeat viewing for at least a couple of decades.  It is not a very good film.  It has color and that is about.  The Metaluna mutant is fine but it hardly has any screen time.  The effects are done on the cheap so much so that the return voyage to earth is accomplished by simply reversing the film. The Metaluna spacecraft appears to be reversing into the earth.  The terrific ray gun blasts are simply scratches in the film.  Jeff Morrow and Rex Reason give their woodiest performances and that is going some.  If we are going to have a movie represent SF1 it should be The Day The Earth Stood Still and not this piece of fluff.  It works best as an MST3K production.  2 1/2 years in the making. Puh-leese.  Save that for the rubes.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 7:29pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 2:49pm:
Let's dump This Island Earth for a repeat viewing for at least a couple of decades.  It is not a very good film.  It has color and that is about.  The Metaluna mutant is fine but it hardly has any screen time.  The effects are done on the cheap so much so that the return voyage to earth is accomplished by simply reversing the film. The Metaluna spacecraft appears to be reversing into the earth.  The terrific ray gun blasts are simply scratches in the film.  Jeff Morrow and Rex Reason give their woodiest performances and that is going some.  If we are going to have a movie represent SF1 it should be The Day The Earth Stood Still and not this piece of fluff.  It works best as an MST3K production.  2 1/2 years in the making. Puh-leese.  Save that for the rubes.    

I agree with you Frank, it really is not that good a film.
Now that the anniversary is out of the way we can put it into retirement for a long while.
Amazingly we still have yet to show one of the classics from the 50's The Creature From The Black Lagoon, that is WAY overdue.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged