WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
SF/40 Festival DISCUSSION THREAD (Read 22684 times)
Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 11:24pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It's pretty true - I missed a few of the features at the Festival, but there really isn't much worth getting excited over.  Wyrmwood was probably the best thing there, and I already wrote about that one when I saw it at Fantastic Fest.

Right now I've got two files open on my desktop - one for Day 5 of the festival, featuring a mediocre low-budget movie that likely won't ever get much of a release (Parallel), and one for Hard to Be a God & Leviathan, two really good Russian films which I saw a couple days apart last week.  Which one do you think is more fun to write about and more likely to be relevant to people's interest?

I suppose I should be grateful that I'm at least past the crap, but this was a deeply uninspiring festival.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 12:02am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 16th, 2015 at 11:24pm:
It's pretty true - I missed a few of the features at the Festival, but there really isn't much worth getting excited over.  Wyrmwood was probably the best thing there, and I already wrote about that one when I saw it at Fantastic Fest.

Right now I've got two files open on my desktop - one for Day 5 of the festival, featuring a mediocre low-budget movie that likely won't ever get much of a release (Parallel), and one for Hard to Be a God & Leviathan, two really good Russian films which I saw a couple days apart last week.  Which one do you think is more fun to write about and more likely to be relevant to people's interest?

I suppose I should be grateful that I'm at least past the crap, but this was a deeply uninspiring festival.

LEVIATHAN is a great movie. On my top 10 list from 2014. So, yes, write that one first.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 1:24am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Write-up for Tuesday, with 4 shorts, PARALLEL, and my tremendous frustration with both the weather and this part of the event in general.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 2:54pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 21st, 2015 at 1:24am:
Write-up for Tuesday, with 4 shorts, PARALLEL, and my tremendous frustration with both the weather and this part of the event in general.

Hmm. Interesting. How many loyal folks showed up during that snowy Festival week on a nightly basis? A dozen or so (not counting filmmakers and their friends).

And, FANTASCHIERRE getting not shown that night might explain how it ended up at the Marathon?

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:26pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Less than a dozen.  A handful during the snow, with a dozen on average night without guests.

And, yeah, that's almost certainly how Fantaschierre wound up in the marathon, basically a one-on-one replacement for Boy 7 (where they apparently couldn't wrangle a subtitled DCP).

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 1:37am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:26pm:
Less than a dozen.  A handful during the snow, with a dozen on average night without guests.

And, yeah, that's almost certainly how Fantaschierre wound up in the marathon, basically a one-on-one replacement for Boy 7 (where they apparently couldn't wrangle a subtitled DCP).

Except, BOY 7 was never officially announced on the main site, email or Faccebook. Maybe, at the Festival in front of the teeming one dozen folks?

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 11:35am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:26pm:

Wrong on all counts.
     We had a subtitled DCP of Boy 7, only no one bothered to tell the projectionist (and really, why tell him anything?) that it was a foreign movie, so he had no idea that he had to load the separate element.
     In addition, that same projectionist refused to run the Festival this year, so he can hardly be blamed for any problems.
     Then that same DCP wouldnt ingest properly in House 1.  Before I could figure out why, Garen had substituted that other thing.
     Of course, in my opinion, none of these new pieces of junk should be shown at the Thon at all, but when the Somerville runs a film-only mini-thon in October, no one bothers to show up.
     I guess theres a lesson to be learned here, somewhere.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 10:13pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I told the usher that there were no subtitles, but apparently the message didn't make it upstairs.  Bizarre.

Garen also claimed that they weren't going to be able to resolve the language issue until he could get through to Amsterdam, but, well, grains of salt and all.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2015 at 12:22am by Jay Seaver »  
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 12:24am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Picking up speed with the hope of actually getting the festival part written up before BUFF starts this coming Wednesday:

Write-up for Wednesday (the back half of the Dr. Who double feature, DALEKS' INVASION EARTH: 2150 A.D.)
Write up for Thursday (THE NOAH)

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:27am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 10:13pm:
I told the usher that there were no subtitles, but apparently the message didn't make it upstairs.  Bizarre.

I dont know how to make "refused to run the Festival this year" any clearer.  "Washed my hands of the thing"?  Anyway, I dont think I was even there that night, not that it would have made any difference, because I refused to run the Festival this year.

Quote:
Garen also claimed that they weren't going to be able to resolve the language issue until he could get through to Amsterdam, but, well, grains of salt and all.

The subtitle elements were included on the HDD, but, once again, nobody told me anything about this being a foreign movie, & that complete & typical lack of communication is one of the many reasons I refused to run the Festival this year.
     Kapeesh?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 1:50pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Showing THE NOAH and DR. WHO in the middle of the week at the Festival instead of the Marathon didn't make much sense to me then, and your reports of the meager crowds that showed up makes it an even curiouser call.

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 12:24am:
Picking up speed with the hope of actually getting the festival part written up before BUFF starts this coming Wednesday:

Write-up for Wednesday (the back half of the Dr. Who double feature, DALEKS' INVASION EARTH: 2150 A.D.)
Write up for Thursday (THE NOAH)

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 12:26am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

David the Projectionist wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:27am:
Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 10:13pm:

I dont know how to make "refused to run the Festival this year" any clearer.  "Washed my hands of the thing"?  Anyway, I dont think I was even there that night, not that it would have made any difference, because I refused to run the Festival this year.

I wasn't accusing you of anything, David - just noting that when I informed the usher that there were no subtitles, I was told that there wasn't anything to be done.  It wasn't completely on autopilot because when Boy 7 started early, it was stopped and restarted at the correct time, so there was some communication going on but, apparently, nobody believed subtitles could be activated, that day or the next(*).  It was weird but mostly harmless (heck, I'll probably remember that movie far better than I would have if everything went right because of it), what you're saying makes me wonder just what was going on - whether folks were just distracted because blizzard and/or there was  a bunch of crappy communication/not knowing what they are doing coming from the festival staff.

(*) Presuming we take Garen at his word, just like every time when he says the distributors told him something was a world/national/Boston premiere.

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 1:50pm:
Showing THE NOAH and DR. WHO in the middle of the week at the Festival instead of the Marathon didn't make much sense to me then, and your reports of the meager crowds that showed up makes it an even curiouser call.

Well, to be fair, I don't know that it would have made sense showing either during the marathon - The Noah is kind of an acquired taste and part of the appeal was having the director there, and I don't know if that was something you'd stop the 'thon for.  It's a niche thing that probably fits more in the festival than the marathon even if it's not new, and probably could have used some outreach to other local cinephile groups as well (co-present it at the HFA, it perhaps does OK).

I also don't know if I'd put both Dalek movies in the same marathon, and they may have been a package deal (and if not, that still leaves Daleks' Invasion Earth kind of an orphan later).  A standalone double feature isn't an unreasonable call.

As to the sparse attendance, that is the festival.  The only things that really got noteworthy audiences were Douglas Trumbull (where someone seemed to get the word out to people beyond the mailing list), Blessid (local production), and maybe Robot Overlords.  I don't think you can even particularly blame the crappy February weather for it - it's just a low-visibility event, and has not built any sort of reputation (for either great movies or just being run capably) in order to draw people in via word-of-mouth.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 10:49am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Write up for Saturday - shorts, I WAS A TEENAGE SUPERHERO SIDEKICK, FADE TO WHITE and Douglas Trumbull

A pretty decent day, actually, after skipping Friday for Isabella Rosselini and Somewhere Only We Know.  Hope you all enjoyed Wyrmwood then, though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2