WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

UNDER THE SKIN (Read 3299 times)
Apr 27th, 2014 at 8:59pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The big selling point here is that Scarlett Johansson gets fully naked. Yes, she does.

Unfortunately, the movie itself is a long drawn out bore. It has style to burn. There are some decent ideas and a few interesting sequences. But, the mundane tone and the droning score (it's atmospheric at first, but, then grates) do little to enliven the tale. What modest symbolic import it has can't outweigh the dreary filmmaking.

This, in short, is the kind of Arthouse movie that gives Arthouse movies a bad name. Folks drawn to a theater to see Scarlett or interested in sci-fi will largely be disappointed. There were walkouts, and the crowd just sat there pretty quietly.

Despite the plentiful nudity, if this showed up at the Marathon, it would be the most divisive since DEMONLOVER.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 7:39pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

It's funny how two similar people can respond so differently to the same film.
I loved it.
Not just ScarJo's ample nakedness (which I did enjoy), but the story engaged me fully and I cared about the characters.
It might have been a little long. As an editor I could see 10 or 15 minutes that might have been excised, but I feel that way about lots of films.
I look forward to seeing it again, possibly in the Marathon setting if the programers ever feel really bold.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 10:55pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I guess that I am somewhere in the middle although closer to Caleb.  There is a bit of pretentiousness to it that I did find mildly irksome.  I really liked the story as told from the invader's POV and only wished that they had expanded on this aspect of the tale. The movie does needs a 20 minute trim.  Nudity aside, she is very good in the role as a Stranger in a Strange land.   

My wife Fran's feelings are closer to LA's.   

We both agreed that it would not be a good marathon choice.  Wrong venue mostly.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged