WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Godzilla! (Read 11657 times)
Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:30pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Coming this May....

Hear his overproduced roar:

https://soundcloud.com/godzillamovie/roar

See his overproduced trailer!

I'm just guessing, but it looks like another big Big BIG...New York story. Toho would have toned down the noise and A.D.D. editing and added some sympathy for the big fella. Wink

Besides, I thought they made a deal: New York was King Kong territory.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 3:46pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

You know, I think I'll give the guys that produced Pacific Rim and the director of Monsters the benefit of the doubt.  I'm excited and glad that they're not letting too much plot out yet.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2014 at 5:44pm

twocentsnonthewise   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I agree on the New York front. This should be set in Japan.

Although the Pacific Rim guys shouldn't do a terrible job. That was a better film than expected. No sympathy for the monsters though!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2014 at 8:09pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

From what I hear Japan gets its fair share of stomping.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2014 at 6:23pm

YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Really? It looks pretty New York centric from the trailer.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2014 at 8:41pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

twocentsnonthewise wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 6:23pm:
Really? It looks pretty New York centric from the trailer.

Shhhhh, this ain't his first attack.

On an unrelated Godzilla note, the guys over at Rifftrax started a Kickstarter campaign so they could afford a live Riff show of the infamous 1998 US Godzilla, they had a goal of $100,000 that they reached & beat within 3 days.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-wants-to-riff-godzilla-li...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2014 at 2:49am

YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Say no more  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2014 at 5:14pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

Godzilla. I dug it. Not a perfect film. Could get to the G-Man a bit faster, but the effects are impressive and the final battle certainly delivers.
I also actually cared about the characters, which isn't a given in your typical summer blockbuster.
Note: Don't bother waiting for an easter egg at the end, there isn't one.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2014 at 3:30am

YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Cheers Caleb. I'm watching it this weekend, so you've saved me around 10 minutes  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2014 at 4:33am

YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Didn't like it as much as I was hoping for. It just wasn't the Godzilla movie the trailers seemed to indicate. Another great score from Alexander Desplat and the special effects are cool. Don't bother with the added 3D expense either, you hardly notice it on the big screen.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2014 at 9:16pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I really enjoyed it, I think a lot of folks are put off by the fact it's structured more like an adventure film than the usual summer roller coaster ride.
My fave of the summer so far but its still very early.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2014 at 8:43pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A better than average remake, but, still a bit disappointing.

Why So Serious?

I do give credit to the movie for avoiding the silliness of the '98 remake and the sheer Michael Bay-ness of the TRANSFORMERS movies, but, this GODZILLA simply takes things too seriously. An inordinate amount of time is given over to the characters and their 'personal stories', but, they simply aren't that interesting. Basically, just stock 'Human Interest' characters in just about any disaster movie. And, the Scientific 'explanations'? Face it, they are just as silly as any in a typical 50s B-movie. Just because they are spouted by a gaggle of Oscar and Emmy Winning and Nominated Actors doesn't make them any more plausible. 'Godzilla was created to restore balance!" Really?!!

That said, the movie does a far better job than last year's PACIFIC RIM of showing the size of the monsters on a human scale. But, again, why show them basically at night or in shadows, fog and rain? You got the goods - show 'em! The design of this Godzilla is a bit fat, and its head looks a bit like a turtle head pasted on a T-Rex. The moth-monsters look a bit too metallic and their voices sound overly digitally synthesized.

Still, once the big G hits the screen and does battle, the movie picks up and is enjoyable enough. It's also one of the quieter CGI blockbusters of recent years as director Gareth Edwards favors mood over bomabast as he showed in his tiny indie MONSTERS from a couple of years ago.

The king of the GODZILLA series is still the 1954 original. Of course, it is a bit unfair as there is little way a contemporary remake could match the combination of political and social events in Post-War Japan that made the original so powerful. (not to mention that there had only been a handful of Big Monster Movies before it was made, making it seem more unique and original).

IP Logged