WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

The State of the 'thon Address (Read 5030 times)
Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:09pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I thought I'd try to start a discussion about the marathon itself as opposed to the movies.
What was good, what might need changes, what needs to be added.
It is of course open to first timers and veteran attendees.

Let me start with the political cliche that the state of the 'thon is strong. Attendance looked to be up again and it looked like more folks stayed to the end.
One of the things that I think does need to be added is somewhere you can point people that will show what films are booked. The format L.A. Connection used for the 'Full Marathon Lineup' section, showing a poster for the movie, plot and inf and a link to a trailer is perfect. But it could not be updated without repeating the entire lineup in a new panel making it look crowded and confusing. A separate one could be done for the Festival.
It was nice having some time between films this year. It gave time for announcements, stretching your legs and getting settled back in before the next film.
I'd like to see the return of the random prize drawings using ticket numbers. Post them in the lobby and the prizes could be collected between shows. And yes I know it's up to Frank.

Okay, hope to see more comments and responses here.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 9:43pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:09pm:
One of the things that I think does need to be added is somewhere you can point people that will show what films are booked. The format L.A. Connection used for the 'Full Marathon Lineup' section, showing a poster for the movie, plot and inf and a link to a trailer is perfect. But it could not be updated without repeating the entire lineup in a new panel making it look crowded and confusing. 

Thank you for the compliment. But, I'm unclear on how you would improve the thread? Just add a new one when new announcements are made? We have the lineup discussion thread where the new films are announced as they come. And, the banner up top lists the newly announced films first.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:14pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 9:43pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:09pm:
One of the things that I think does need to be added is somewhere you can point people that will show what films are booked. The format L.A. Connection used for the 'Full Marathon Lineup' section, showing a poster for the movie, plot and inf and a link to a trailer is perfect. But it could not be updated without repeating the entire lineup in a new panel making it look crowded and confusing. 

Thank you for the compliment. But, I'm unclear on how you would improve the thread? Just add a new one when new announcements are made? We have the lineup discussion thread where the new films are announced as they come. And, the banner up top lists the newly announced films first.

I was thinking of more of a public info site as opposed to here. Something simple, it really needs to only be a single page with ticket info and movie info added (or subtracted) as the booking come in.
When tickets go on sale it goes up with some kind of simple design announcing SF40 early bird tickets. Links get added to the Facebook page and maybe the Somerville Theater if they're willing.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 1:57am

Joe Neff   Offline

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 10:55am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Joe Neff wrote on Feb 22nd, 2014 at 1:57am:

(grumble fume grumble) Yeah Exactly like that.

IP Logged