WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
SF39 Wrap-Up Thread (Read 27323 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 10:00pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I wouldn't even bother getting into the weeds of all the contrivances, made-up on the spot dialogue and other "plot" details. Not worth the effort.

* 1/2 stars

Jon wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:36pm:
Quote:
COHERENCE - I know I'm in a minority here, but, this didn't do much at all for me. This mismash of Primer/Another Earth and stuff like The World's End/Night of the Comet was more muddled than edifying. It came as NO surprise when actor Nicholas Brendan (a nice sport) revealed that there wasn't a full script. It's an offense to the intelligent work of Primer's Shane Carruth to compare to his films. And, the shaky hand-held cam was nowhere near as polished as what Paul Greengrass does with it. It's more like bad TV which tries to juice up dialogue scenes with spastic cam.

...Just one question.  Who has multiple unopened boxes of a wide range of colored glowsticks casually lying around in their apartment?  (I'm just sayin"....)

Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 11:01pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Sure Coherence was convoluted, improbable, and ultimately dependent on dialog. Not a great base. But I was carried into the movie, the action (such as it was) and the puzzle of what was going on by the pace and the believability of the personalities. My review is above.
And I just noted that it will be one of the 185 films (plus 168 shorts) to be shown at the upcoming Cleveland International Film Festival, one of the only 8 festivals where a short film must be shown to qualify for the Oscars. I'll be working at the festival. http://www.clevelandfilm.org/
However I see no mention that Nick Brandon will be in Cleveland, so Boston wins Cheesy.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 3:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hard to fathom that TWO full weeks have passed. Seems like a long ago dream in many ways.

Any lingering thoughts on this year's event?

For me, it still seems to be one of the best balanced 'thons in recent memory. And, the Festival has lead to much needed overall attention to the event and increased attendence.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 4:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Been holding back somewhat while getting reviews for pretty much everything up on my blog and eFilmCritic.  I still haven't gotten to the shorts and I skipped the festival's Tragedy of MacBeth (napped and have trouble treating it like a real movie) and the thon's The Visitor (second time it knocked me out, and that movie has gotten too much publicity for not being very good anyway).

Here's the full blog post on the marathon.

General comments:

* One of the strongest marathons in recent memory.  A lot of the movies weren't necessarily good, but most of them were at least interesting.

* Despite that, this one nearly broke me in terms of doing it again.  The guy behind me would not shut up no matter what was playing (and wasn't particularly creative), and I was ready to punch the next person to yell "Door!" in the throat by about 5pm.  It's getting to the point where my favorite part of the marathon is the second half, when a lot of the people who think they're part of the entertainment are asleep or worn out.

* Idea for the marathon/theater next year:  Get a few USB squids so people can drop their phones off at the stand and get a recharge at some point during the thon.  Charge a buck or two if need be to defray the cost if need be, but the charge gets low by the end, and the live-tweeting tapered off between movies.

Quick hits on the moives:

* First Men in the Moon - Has some stuff that drives me crazy, but I really love Lionel Jeffries in this.

* Westworld - Or, Jurassic Park Beta.  Just saw it a few months ago at the Halloween 'thon, and it still really seems half-formed.

* Coherence - Liked it, though I passed on a couple opportunities to see it at the fest when I knew it would be playing later with a guest.  Kind of has the same problem as the sort-of-similar Plus One, in that the end sort of swerves more into violence than the rest of the movie really merits.

* The Power - Goofy, but I generally liked it.

* Europa Report - Enjoyed it last summer, enjoyed it again.

* Silent Running - Really liked this a lot; it has its weaknesses, but Douglas Trumbull does a great job with a script that has 1970s edge.

* The Truman Show - Remembered that it was really good, but not quite that it was some of the best work of everyone involved.  Jim Carrey has never been better, and it's probably the best rendition of Andrew Niccol's go-to idea of a man straining against the limits that his birth has placed on him.

* Electric Dreams - Not very good in many ways, but a fun soundtrack and some neat Bud Cort voice work holds it together.  Plus, young Virginia Madsen!  (Note: Madsen has also aged very well.)

* The Visitor - Okay, can people stop trying to push this turd as a great cult film so hard?  It's weird enough, but its worst sin is that it's just boring.

* The World, the Flesh and the Devil - probably my favorite discovery of the marathon, especially the way it goes from Harry Belafonte alone in the world to a look at how deeply ingrained unfortunate race-related attitudes can be, even when it absolutely shouldn't matter.  Top-notch.

* Grabbers - Search through some of the "other festival" or "recommendations for the thon/fest" threads, and you'll see I started beating the drum for this in July or August of 2012.  You're welcome! Smiley

* Children of Men - Damn, Cauron is good, isn't he?  This sucker's bleak but not the boring darkness of so many movies that confuse "bad things happen" with "sophisticated".

* Flash Gordon - Never particularly loved this movie, and I think it's because the Earth people just aren't nearly as interesting as everybody else (and that they're the two worst actors doesn't help at all).  The kind of movie that's both campy enough and known for its kitsch that it's kind of a pleasant surprise when a part that's actually really good comes along.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2014 at 3:09pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sounds like an isolated case. Overall, the crowd has gotten more and more respectful as the years have passed by (especially since the Festival aspect has grown - connection?) I kinda miss some of the interaction (NOT the constant chatter and the MST3K audition tape folks, of course). And, yes, the "Door!" thing got overrused. Moderation and proper timing, folks.

Not sure if you realize the contradiction of asking for MORE tweeting and web surfing enabled by power outlets. To many of us, the bright screens are more, MUCH MORE, irritating than an occasional "Door!", "Mark!" or "Wheat Chex!" remark...........

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 4:42pm:
Been holding back somewhat while getting reviews for pretty much everything up on my blog and eFilmCritic...

* Despite that, this one nearly broke me in terms of doing it again.  The guy behind me would not shut up no matter what was playing (and wasn't particularly creative), and I was ready to punch the next person to yell "Door!" in the throat by about 5pm.  It's getting to the point where my favorite part of the marathon is the second half, when a lot of the people who think they're part of the entertainment are asleep or worn out.

* Idea for the marathon/theater next year:  Get a few USB squids so people can drop their phones off at the stand and get a recharge at some point during the thon.  Charge a buck or two if need be to defray the cost if need be, but the charge gets low by the end, and the live-tweeting tapered off between movies...

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 9:15pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I don't want screens on during movies, but reactions in-between are good.  Plus, it just sucks to have your phone die.  Folks expect to be reachable, and it would be useful to have it be a non-brick at the end of it.

Also, I don't think the festival has anything to do with the reduction in folks yelling at the screen.  There's about a dozen of us non-guests at most of the shows, not really a meaningful fraction of the audience.  I think the talking is down in recent years in part because a good chunk of the program will skew later (due to availability and, hey, the average release date of all movies gets later as time passes), and stuff just gets less obviously mockable.  Jurassic Park is the tipping point, but for the last 25 years or so, even the lesser movies have decent acting, capable special effects, etc.  It sets a different tone, and shifting in and out of snarky mode isn't for everyone (hence the people who kept yelling "Door!" even during good movies).

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 12:11am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Well, YOU may not text during the movies, but, several other folks were. I had to stiffle a woman who had "tuned out" during THE POWER and decided it was cool to spend that screening checking her email, texting and cruising the internets.

I do think the Festival principle has helped a bit with the yahoos. It's added maybe a patina of class to the event. And, it wasn't just during 'oldies' that folks used to more enthusiastically shout things out (it's not just about mocking anyway, but about general participation).

P.S. Oh, my cell phone battery level has always been fine - of course, I only use it for necessary communication and not spend too much Marathon time on it.  Wink

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 11th, 2014 at 9:15pm:
I don't want screens on during movies, but reactions in-between are good.  Plus, it just sucks to have your phone die.  Folks expect to be reachable, and it would be useful to have it be a non-brick at the end of it.

Also, I don't think the festival has anything to do with the reduction in folks yelling at the screen.  There's about a dozen of us non-guests at most of the shows, not really a meaningful fraction of the audience.  I think the talking is down in recent years in part because a good chunk of the program will skew later (due to availability and, hey, the average release date of all movies gets later as time passes), and stuff just gets less obviously mockable.  Jurassic Park is the tipping point, but for the last 25 years or so, even the lesser movies have decent acting, capable special effects, etc.  It sets a different tone, and shifting in and out of snarky mode isn't for everyone (hence the people who kept yelling "Door!" even during good movies).

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2014 at 10:50am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2014 at 8:09am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

While I didn't have anyone using a cellphone near me I do agree it can be really annoying and very distracting during a film.
Easiest way to stop it or at least make people aware NOT to do it is make an announcement between films. Even do it in a positive way pointing out how much room there is at the Somerville Theater if you don't want to see the next film there are seats downstairs and the gallery of bad art or the second floor lobby too.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 11:53am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 12:11am:
I do think the Festival principle has helped a bit with the yahoos. It's added maybe a patina of class to the event. And, it wasn't just during 'oldies' that folks used to more enthusiastically shout things out (it's not just about mocking anyway, but about general participation).

Really, I can't see how the festival portion could exert much of that sort of influence on the marathon.  It's mostly held in a room that seats about 30 people, most of the movies Garen gets for it don't exactly raise the average, and when something from the festival has bled into the marathon before, well, that's when "participation" spiked in previous years.  Maybe in the future, if it gets big enough to fill the larger rooms without the entire cast of a terrible but locally-produced film coming, that will change.

And while you say people weren't always just mocking the oldies, that was when there wasn't such a strong divide in the polish between older and more recent sci-fi films, and just the perception of the genre.  Newer films are regular movies to people, while the older ones are something different.

As to the phone thing, it's mostly about my experience - I don't have my phone out of its pocket during the movie, but regular use between films such as tweeting reactions, checking email/voicemail, taking pictures, etc. can drain a smartphone pretty good if it's away from juice for 30+ hours (presuming people aren't unplugging it in their Davis Square apartment before walking to the theater and going immediately home afterwards).  Even turning data off just before the movie starts made it a tough stretch, and I do think many would appreciate a chance to top it off.

And it wouldn't hurt if the fest/thon figured out how to engage the internet better.  Garen's excitement at the festival over having a comped newspaper ad was just adorable, but wouldn't having some excitement going out online (and a decent website) help a lot more with the event's target audience?

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 12:21pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 11:53am:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 12th, 2014 at 12:11am:

Really, I can't see how the festival portion could exert much of that sort of influence on the marathon.  It's mostly held in a room that seats about 30 people, most of the movies Garen gets for it don't exactly raise the average, and when something from the festival has bled into the marathon before, well, that's when "participation" spiked in previous years.  Maybe in the future, if it gets big enough to fill the larger rooms without the entire cast of a terrible but locally-produced film coming, that will change.

And while you say people weren't always just mocking the oldies, that was when there wasn't such a strong divide in the polish between older and more recent sci-fi films, and just the perception of the genre.  Newer films are regular movies to people, while the older ones are something different.

As to the phone thing, it's mostly about my experience - I don't have my phone out of its pocket during the movie, but regular use between films such as tweeting reactions, checking email/voicemail, taking pictures, etc. can drain a smartphone pretty good if it's away from juice for 30+ hours (presuming people aren't unplugging it in their Davis Square apartment before walking to the theater and going immediately home afterwards).  Even turning data off just before the movie starts made it a tough stretch, and I do think many would appreciate a chance to top it off.

And it wouldn't hurt if the fest/thon figured out how to engage the internet better.  Garen's excitement at the festival over having a comped newspaper ad was just adorable, but wouldn't having some excitement going out online (and a decent website) help a lot more with the event's target audience?

Jay, check out my comment about needing a clear site for info in "The State of the 'thon address" section

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 6:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Tonight TCM will be showing this year's past-Midnight cult curio, THE VISITOR!

Re-live the bizarro Italian 'plot'! See the scary children! Witness the oddball cultists! Watch John Huston walk and walk and walk!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2