WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
The long delayed SF38 Time Lapse is Finally Posted (Read 19581 times)
Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:26pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Hi all,

Well, it sat on my hard drive for nearly a year, but I finally found a piece of music that I felt was appropriate. It's acknowledged third-party material, so you'll see an ad on the screen (If you don't have AdBlock installed, that is), but at least YouTube isn't removing the music entirely.

This was the first time I used a still camera, rather than my old mini DV camcorder, so this is the first time lapse I attempted to edit in 1080p. It was shot from the balcony at stage right, so I got a much wider angle view of the crowd this time. The only drawback is that you may not spot yourself as easily as in the other two.

Anyway, enjoy!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 4:26pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Thanks again!

Questions:

1. Can you post a slow motion version? (or, is there a way to do slo-mo on youtube?)

2. Why don't you post more on the board, Neil??

Neil_N wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:26pm:
Hi all,

Well, it sat on my hard drive for nearly a year, but I finally found a piece of music that I felt was appropriate. It's acknowledged third-party material, so you'll see an ad on the screen (If you don't have AdBlock installed, that is), but at least YouTube isn't removing the music entirely.

This was the first time I used a still camera, rather than my old mini DV camcorder, so this is the first time lapse I attempted to edit in 1080p. It was shot from the balcony at stage right, so I got a much wider angle view of the crowd this time. The only drawback is that you may not spot yourself as easily as in the other two.

Anyway, enjoy!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 4:52pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Well, I suppose I could, but how slow do you want it? A time lapse can get very boring if it's really slow. If you don't mind it not having any music or anything, I could post a version that's as slow as you like.

As for why I don't really post here, I dunno. There are only so many forums I can hang out on, and my thoughts turn to this one when we're close to the marathon itself.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 5:35pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Just an alt-version so we can make out some faces etc. No biggie. Alternately, if ANYBODY knows how to do Slo-mo on youtube, please post it. I've never figured out how. Some sites that use Flash do have a Slow Motion feature.

And, you can start by posting your comments about the lineup we have:

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:58am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

I don't think slowing it down is going to overcome the problem of YouTube's additional video compression on the original material. Let me see if I can find some online storage for you to grab a copy of the original.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Neil_N wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:58am:
I don't think slowing it down is going to overcome the problem of YouTube's additional video compression on the original material. Let me see if I can find some online storage for you to grab a copy of the original.

If I might suggest a simple and useful program
www.Freemake.com

It'll let you download stuff from YouTube, convert it to other formats (including making a DVD) re-combine YouTube segments, edit, add subtitles.
A great way to save stuff that may vanish later from YouTube's policy of letting companies have stuff removed at their whim.
Plus it is legal, heck the instruction for using it are on YouTube. Smiley

So simple even I can use it.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:33pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:34pm:
If I might suggest a simple and useful program
www.Freemake.com

It'll let you download stuff from YouTube, convert it to other formats (including making a DVD) re-combine YouTube segments, edit, add subtitles.
A great way to save stuff that may vanish later from YouTube's policy of letting companies have stuff removed at their whim.
Plus it is legal, heck the instruction for using it are on YouTube. Smiley

So simple even I can use it.

The only problem with that is YouTube is still recompressing my original video, so using that program still only nets you something as good as what's there right now.

Anyway, I uploaded the original video file to my Google Drive, so if anyone wants a copy, just download it from this link here. Click on the little down arrow in the upper left and you can have your very own mp4 of it. The only thing that will let you see the faces more clearly would be the original images, which were captured at 9 MP, and the whole collection over 24 hours is about 1.6 GB. Unfortunately, I'd have to render the file at 4K to get anywhere near that res, and my copy of Premiere doesn't do 4K.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:46pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Meanwhile, I have a question for anyone who cares to answer it: should I keep the camera in the balcony this year, or bring it back down to stage right. The balcony gives us a much wider view of the audience, while some of you seemed to like seeing the faces a bit more at stage level, at the cost of much fewer attendees getting into the shot.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Neil_N wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:46pm:
Meanwhile, I have a question for anyone who cares to answer it: should I keep the camera in the balcony this year, or bring it back down to stage right. The balcony gives us a much wider view of the audience, while some of you seemed to like seeing the faces a bit more at stage level, at the cost of much fewer attendees getting into the shot.

Thoughts?

As to this years camera placement, I think the stage setup is better, maybe if you can set it to take in the balcony too. That really shows off the Somerville Theater's restored movie palace atmosphere.

Followup idea. Get some shots of the crowd filing in at the beginning and the survivors leaving at the end to bookend the time lapse.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

What would be REALLY cool would be multiple cameras! Balcony, Projection Booth, Stage and the Two Box Seats perhaps?

Neil_N wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:46pm:

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 12:31am

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 10:36pm:
What would be REALLY cool would be multiple cameras! Balcony, Projection Booth, Stage and the Two Box Seats perhaps?

Yes, I agree. That would be cool. If I had four more cameras and tripods, I'd totally do it. Sadly, I only have one camera. If anyone else has a Canon digicam with tripod and AC adapter they'd like to contribute, please feel free.

But, assuming I have only one camera to play with, what's the preferred vantage point?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 9:02pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

The video on youtube is being blocked by the walt disney company because of the soundtrack.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 9:32pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Sigh... God, I hate the death of Fair Use.

Well, just use the link I posted to my Google Drive and either view it there or download it. Strange, though. It still plays for me when I click the link, even when I sign myself out.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:37pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Rich Bartlett wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 9:02pm:
The video on youtube is being blocked by the walt disney company because of the soundtrack.

Worked for me too, even when I switched to YouTube to watch fullscreen. Usually they'd just block the sound rather than remove the video.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 7:51am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Curious. It does seem to working fine now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2