WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Day of the Doctor (Read 6593 times)
Nov 5th, 2013 at 1:10pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

"Fathom Events" is doing a special "Day of the Doctor" on November 25.
The purposes seem to be:
1.  Take your money. Locally it is being shown at Cinemark for around $15 Simoleans.
2. Introduce the new Doctor? Or perhaps not.
3.  Work in some of the old Doctors.
4.  Somehow add John Hurt to the Doctor list.

I am not as much of a Whovian as many. But I did see the first episode, live on the BBC, 50 years ago (I was in 10th grade), so I'll probably attend.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-show-2678500

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 11:19pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Well, there's also the fact that some of the screenings are 3D, which is half of the reason I'm going, the other being that a crowd is probably more fun than just watching it in my living room.

It's worth noting that the ones in Boston, at least, have sold out rather quickly - both the 3D shows at Boston Common & Fenway were sold out by the afternoon the day they went on sale, though the 2D one at Fenway still had tickets left.  They wound up adding an extra 10pm show at Boston Common, and that's the one I managed to get a ticket for.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 6:08pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

If you don't like or follow Doctor Who I don't see how the episode could be of any interest.
Eleven Doctors, or twelve or thirteen, depending on Who's counting, you have to have been there for at least a season or two to find The Day of the Doctor to have any depth or creativity.

The internal logic and huge number of self references were what made the special interesting and, indeed, gave it depth. And the major event in the Who universe, which has been hanging over the series for the past seven seasons, provided the basis for the plot line.
It was funny, but most of the jokes came from self deprecating humor and over playing the already established characters of the two most recent incarnations of the Doctor.
Lots of running around and use of aliens and human foils to keep the action going. But it's Doctor Who. If you can't stand silly plot twists, you can't stand the series.

Overall it was a great attempt to please the fans. Even with the genocidal centerpiece, it was a lot lighter than almost all of the regular episodes. I spotted at least two contradictions to events in other episodes which sort of invalidated the central premise - but that's quibbling. Written for the fans, by a fan, it was worth the time and inflated price.

Read several reviews. The one that came closest to my feelings is here. http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/doctor-who/231149/an-in-depth-look-at-doctor-who-the-...

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:25pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The thing I kind of loved about it - aside from it being a fun adventure with a likable cast that looked pretty darn good for something mostly meant to be seen on flat TVs - is how it's kind of Stephen Moffatt quietly removing everything Russell Davies did to make the show the sort of 21st-century, character-and-mythology program squarely aiming at the key demographics that it was.  The tragedy meant to give The Doctor depth?  Kind of gone.  In a month, they probably won't be playing him as a sexy young guy any more, but the old-school mischievous uncle.

And I'm kind of ready for that.  It's okay for an adventure show to just be a show where the characters stumble into a new adventure every week, as opposed to every episode being part of a season-long story arc that says something about the character at his core.

It was a pretty good time with the enthusiastic audience, and while I felt it started kind of slowly, it built up to something pretty great, and folks were cheering at "all thirteen!" and that fellow at the end.  Definitely worth spending the money even if it was already on my DVR.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:20am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Maybe instead of the "Alien Mating Call" contest we could substitute a "Talk Like a Dalek" contest Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 10:56am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:20am:
[img]

Maybe instead of the "Alien Mating Call" contest we could substitute a "Talk Like a Dalek" contest Smiley

Definitely on to an idea here.
Maybe a contest for most unlikely thing a Dalek would say?

My own entry "No thanks, I'll take the stairs"

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 2:33pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
Da Bunnyman:
Maybe a contest for most unlikely thing a Dalek would say?

My own entry "No thanks, I'll take the stairs"

Cheesy
I'm thinking of great Dalek pickup lines. After all they are put together with hard bodies, a long rigid appendage and titanium nuts.

21st Century Man
IP Logged