WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THE CONJURING (Read 6781 times)
Jul 12th, 2013 at 10:35pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:07am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Did you see the film as well? The early buzz is pretty good.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 5:02pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Very effective, damn scary, nicely acted and constructed horror film. Best part: No gore!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:40pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

ed symkus wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 5:02pm:
Very effective, damn scary, nicely acted and constructed horror film. Best part: No gore!

Scary? And no gore?
What has happened to horror films these days.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:30pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'll be seeing it in Montreal on Thursday, looking forward to it.

From what I've been reading, the director isn't exactly upset by the R rating, but he was thinking more along the lines of a ghost story that you could bring anybody to see.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:09am

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Here's Wan's quote on getting the R, from my roundtable interview in San Francisco:

"I set out wanting to do a PG-13 movie. That was my goal. I wanted to make a bloodless movie that was about atmosphere and chills. I set out to make a movie for everyone. That’s why I held back on a lot of things. I wanted teenagers who were not over 18 to be able to see it because I think they would enjoy it. But it’s so intense towards the end, it hit me why the MPAA thought it was too frightening to be anything but an R rating."

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 1:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

This has happened before. It's another in the seemingly endless confounding "rules" the MPAA enforces - or just plain makes up - when rating films.

In essence, what Wan (and other before him) are saying that their movie was "too good" at creating suspense and horror, so it gets an "R", while inept films that are bloodier and gorier get a PG-13 because they suck!

So, you get penalized for doing a good job! Of course, the other thing often at play is that the big studios with big stars often get the PG-13 rating over indies. THE CONJURING had only about a $12M budget and as good an actress as she is, Vera Farmiga isn't a superstar. If this had been a $100M budget studio pic with Julia Roberts, it probably would have gotten the pg-13

ed symkus wrote on Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:09am:
Here's Wan's quote on getting the R, from my roundtable interview in San Francisco:

"I set out wanting to do a PG-13 movie. That was my goal. I wanted to make a bloodless movie that was about atmosphere and chills. I set out to make a movie for everyone. That’s why I held back on a lot of things. I wanted teenagers who were not over 18 to be able to see it because I think they would enjoy it. But it’s so intense towards the end, it hit me why the MPAA thought it was too frightening to be anything but an R rating."

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 3:16pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Eh. It's ok for some cheap scares. Of course, I didn't expect much from Wan, the SAW 'auteur', not to mention the very very similar INSIPID...er...INSIDIOUS. Even though it's mostly bunk, the 'based on a true story' backdrop does force Wan to play by at least a few rules of horror film "reality".
The biggest issue is a meandering screenplay which, rather than build to the climax, seems to take as many detours as possible before finally getting to the meat of the story. When it does, it's fairly effective, largely based on some decent acting, particularly by the eternally underrated Lili Taylor. Let's face it, if Taylor looked like Taylor Swift, she'd be a huge star.
Not bad, but, don't expect any great shakes either.

P.S. On a technical note. The digital photography and vaunted "4K Projection" still makes the film look like $#!+ at times, particularly with all the dark and shadowy scenes.

IP Logged