WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Atomic Fireballs (Read 9954 times)
Mar 25th, 2013 at 8:48pm

gaffed   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

In 2012 the creator of the Atomic Fireball passed away.  What do SFr's think about an Atomic Fireball competition at one of the  breaks starting in SF39?  5 Fireballs in the mouth (one for each cinema), participant to hold it in their mouth the longest wins.  Shouldn't take more than 6 minutes. 

Thoughts? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 10:01pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

We did mention his passing last year.

But, sure, I'd watch others burn their mouths!

And,
WELCOME TO THE BOARD
, Gaffed!

gaffed wrote on Mar 25th, 2013 at 8:48pm:
In 2012 the creator of the Atomic Fireball passed away.  What do SFr's think about an Atomic Fireball competition at one of the  breaks starting in SF39?  5 Fireballs in the mouth (one for each cinema), participant to hold it in their mouth the longest wins.  Shouldn't take more than 6 minutes. 

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2013 at 11:46pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 10:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'm just imagining contestants giving up as all the fireballs they had in their mouths roll slowly towards the Somerville's newly restored orchestra pit.   Lips Sealed

I myself barely survive the opening ceremony one.
But on the other hand we do usually have lots of the damn things left over.  Smiley

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 10:09pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 25th, 2013 at 10:05pm:

I'm just imagining contestants giving up as all the fireballs they had in their mouths roll slowly towards the Somerville's newly restored orchestra pit.   Lips Sealed

I myself barely survive the opening ceremony one.
But on the other hand we do usually have lots of the damn things left over.  Smiley

Contest sounds fine.  However, it is still small bottom shelf prize stuff but it is different and does present something of a challenge.  Don't let the pit fool you, all manner of debris falls down there over the 24 hours.  We just clean up after the disaster. 

My dirty little secret: I don't do the Atomic fireball countdown.  Never cared for them.  I did it for a couple of years and then when I starting handing out the loot bags I usually did not make it in for the countdown so I just stopped.  Now I make it in for the countdown but I have kicked it.  It's not annoying, however.  The single clap thing during the credits roll is annoying. 

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:33pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

For the record, I like Atomic Fireballs. I don't go out of my way to have one, but, as a once-a-year treat that kicks off another Marathon - I look forward to that little spicy rock.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:47pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

try lighting it on fire.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 10:08am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

After hearing that Nello Ferrera had passed on in February 2012, We had planned to do an homage before the start of SF37 with this classic rock ditty:

(see break music thread)

Unfortunately, time did not permit. Next year, with a permanent PA/computer link soundsystem in place, we hope to have thematic music playing as soon as the first marathoid takes a seat. Thanks again Somerville Theater for your frequent enhancements to the theater-going experience. Smiley

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 6:14pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i've said this before. letting an atomic fireball dissolve in your coffee is quite delicious.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 9:29pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

kirok wrote on Mar 30th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
i've said this before. letting an atomic fireball dissolve in your coffee is quite delicious.

That does sound tasty

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 12:22am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Mar 30th, 2013 at 6:14pm:

Will try it with tea, it should be good.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:49pm

gaffed   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Been awhile since I've been on and I just realized I posted this idea in the wrong place.  Sorry, I did post under the SF39 ideas thread.

Fireballs in coffee??  not so sure but I am thinking that Fireballs in Hot Chocolate could be really good.   Shocked

IP Logged